Visitor in the UK from Sweden (1.2 TDI)

Freightliner

Hello all!

New member here, but of course I've been a visitor many times beore whenever there's been an issue with the car. Thanks for making and running a good forum!

Now I'm finally joining as I find myself living in the UK for some time, and of course the A2 is the vehicle that brought me here.

It's a 1.2 from 2002 imported to Sweden from Germany by a previous owner. It's gone a bit more than 370 000 km and quite some distance has been added recently to that as I've been moving around Europe in the last few years. It has crossed the alps several times in the process, mainly over the passes rather than tunnels, and performed quite well! (though the locals may disagree about its uphill performance...) Maximum altitude reached was about 2640 m.

Here's at the Col du Lautaret in France:
A2 lautaret.JPG

As an apartment dweller in the city I had to make do with a quiet corner of the parking lot for work:
A2 mek grenoble.JPG

Of course there has been some parts replaced due to wear and tear (brakes... :rolleyes:), and the occasional limp mode, but nothing too bad. That being said, in time with my arrival to the UK I do have some mysterious electrical issues and a suspected worn out wheel bearing. Anyone in Oxfordshire who happens to have the requisite bearing removal tool? 😁

Happy to be here and see you in the forum!

Hi, and very welcome to the club!
I assume you are referring to the front bearing?

I am sure help is on its way... by fellow forum members..

Hello all!

New member here, but of course I've been a visitor many times beore whenever there's been an issue with the car. Thanks for making and running a good forum!

Now I'm finally joining as I find myself living in the UK for some time, and of course the A2 is the vehicle that brought me here.

It's a 1.2 from 2002 imported to Sweden from Germany by a previous owner. It's gone a bit more than 370 000 km and quite some distance has been added recently to that as I've been moving around Europe in the last few years. It has crossed the alps several times in the process, mainly over the passes rather than tunnels, and performed quite well! (though the locals may disagree about its uphill performance...) Maximum altitude reached was about 2640 m.

Here's at the Col du Lautaret in France:
View attachment 119157

As an apartment dweller in the city I had to make do with a quiet corner of the parking lot for work:
View attachment 119159

Of course there has been some parts replaced due to wear and tear (brakes... :rolleyes:), and the occasional limp mode, but nothing too bad. That being said, in time with my arrival to the UK I do have some mysterious electrical issues and a suspected worn out wheel bearing. Anyone in Oxfordshire who happens to have the requisite bearing removal tool? 😁

Happy to be here and see you in the forum!
Sadly my 1.2 wheel bearing tool is up at WOM in Derbyshire or I’d have been happy to help you out as I’m in Burford, west Oxfordshire, most days. If you’re still struggling when I pick my 1.2 up from there over coming weeks, let me know. Hope you get sorted.

Thanks!

That's right, I suspect front right bearing, but could be either or both.

Thanks Erling, I don't think I'll have it solved before that. The car still drives OK and I don't need it daily, and besides I would have to order the parts first. I'll stay in touch :)

Thanks!

That's right, I suspect front right bearing, but could be either or both.

Thanks Erling, I don't think I'll have it solved before that. The car still drives OK and I don't need it daily, and besides I would have to order the parts first. I'll stay in touch :)
Please do. Might even have a couple of spare wheel bearings kicking about as I bulk bought when I last had one or mine done. Definitely have surplus abs sensors which often fail to survive wheel bearing replacement.

Hi agglava, in terms of what's been changed I think it's easier to say what is still original... Do you have any specific things you're thinking about?

Maintenance wise I change oil and filters according to the car's own service reminders and do other things as they come up/get remarked upon by the vehicle inspection. I'm sure if you look around the forum (also using the search function) you'll find a lot of pointers in terms of service intervals and so on.

Back