VW announce ID.2 - FWD EV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
YouTuber Battery Life , who has regular contact with VW, just talked about the spec of the ID.2. As expected, it's smaller than the ID.3 but has more range, faster charging, more power, and more internal space. It's a little bit bigger than an A2. Surprisingly it is FWD. Cost from 25,000 euros. It's positioned as a Golf replacement.

Don't rush to put a deposit down though - 1st deliveries in 2026!!!!! If you ask me, it's too long a timescale and will me a "me too" by then.

Built on the MEB Entry platform, could this be used by Audi for an A2 successor?

The €25,000 version of the ID.2 will not have a 58kwh battery, so its range will be less than the one battery version of the ID.3 that you can currently order in the UK.

RAB

All these carefully leaked/scooped releases are just clickbait to get VW in the press.

Nothing they do is clever, it's all about shifting units and making profits, not about making improvements or technological advancements, otherwise they'd also be using clever materials (aluminium a-la A2, or carbon fibre a-la I3), mega-castings and improving areas such as aerodynamics, packaging etc.

What is now predicted to be £25000 will in reality be north of £30k in 3 years time and also be lost amongst the plethora of Chinese EV alternatives.

@Dogbrain - Audi are on record as wanting to distinguish their EV models as being even numbered and ICE models as odd. Hence Q4 being their first 'proper' EV model (as opposed to the original e-tron, now discontinued and pretty much rebranded as Q8 e-tron, which is just a conversion of the MLB platform), with the Q6 being next, and at some point there'll doubtless be a Q2 as well. I seriously doubt that there's a future for the A-series cars as it seems the VW group can't build a 'low' saloon car with EV technology - they are all semi-cross designs now.

I agree on that one.
I remember the ID.3 was advertized as the only battery kit-cart affordable to everyone and when I saw the price tag at the dealer, forgive me people. I earn ~15k a year and the car costs 40k. The "affordable" idea in lithuanian uses the same word as "approcheable". So when they said ID.3 was affordable/approacheable and I saw the price tag, I thought OK. I'll approach it, look at it, turn around and go away. :)
Sorry, it's hard to translate an idiomatic expression so that a speaker of another language understands it equally idiomatically. :)

About chinese alternatives, there is one sub-subcompact on Youtube. IDK how (if) it would pass the crash test, but it costs about 8k new, claims to go over a hundred miles on one charge, uses 12 inch tyres, highway capable and if I buy a battery kit-cart, I'd probably go for that for an everyday home-to-work commuter. Though when I compared the cost of a kilometer on my A2 and a battery kit-cart, A2 was either the same or (in less favourable conditions ie winter) even cheaper to go. I didn't count the maintainance but I think it equals out when I think about range anxiety and the possibility to carry power in a canister. :D
Whatever... :D

Aren't Q2s already on the road? At least I saw one in LT. Don't know what it ran on though. The semi-cross design is just trending now so VAG is probably just chasing the trend.

Edit:
I googled ID.1 right after posting this entry. This is what I found:

Yes, the Q2 is a current ICE model in the Audi range. I can see it being rebranded though in the near future and the ICE options being dropped nearer to the 2030 cut-off date for the sale of new ICE vehicles.

You can never do a direct comparison between a 15-20 year old ICE model and a new-ish EV in terms of running costs as there'll only ever be one winner. What we must focus on is the cost to future generations - our children and children's children. They're the ones who are going to have to sort out the sh1t created by us, our parents and our grandparents and every other generation since the industrial revolution.

You can never do a direct comparison between a 15-20 year old ICE model and a new-ish EV in terms of running costs as there'll only ever be one winner.
Of course it is just my opinion but I think this is where you're wrong.
We compare things that we have in our hands. Here and now. No matter their age or technology used to build them because there is no different coeffitient in evaluation just for newness or such things. So if the cost of power for me at my home is 34¢/kWh and adding all conversion losses (note that you stuff a lot more kWhs into the battery while charging it than you get out of it while driving) the car uses about 20kWh for 100km, 100km costs 6.8 european conditional units. Add the time spent to refill those kWhs to the end result.
My Audi on the other hand burns 4.5 liters of diesel on average for 100kms. And with ±1.5€ (less actually) for a liter I end up with 6.75 euros.
Math done.

What we must focus on is the cost to future generations - our children and children's children. They're the ones who are going to have to sort out the sh1t created by us, our parents and our grandparents and every other generation since the industrial revolution.
Wanna tell it to the construction companies who cut off forests to build malls? Or power plants that use the same fossil fuels to make the same power kit-carts use? I hate (literally british hate) the ones who yell that ICE is poop and it costs the quality of living for the next generations and that ICEs have to be eliminated because they are the sole bad guys in the equation. And in most cases the ones that spit this poop are the ones who willingly destroy the same oxygen generators that equalize the equation, in favour of concrete jungle. Want to address them instead? As I wrote earlier, it is my opinion and it isn't supposed to be globally correct but I don't want to, as others say, start changing the world from myself, sacrifising my convenience, while the end result is actually the same or even worse. Note that if you power a kit-cart from a diesel generator, it will consume much more diesel for the same distance than a similar car that runs directly on diesel.
When (if) people will manage to build tools to make power that will outlast the resources and polution cost to make those tools, and that power will feed the kit-carts, then we may have a productive conversation. For now everything is just a speculation and influencing.
Sorry if I sound angry, I don't want to make a wrong impression, but I don't think we are moving towards saving the planet even a little bit.

Sorry if I sound angry, I don't want to make a wrong impression, but I don't think we are moving towards saving the planet even a little bit.
Of course we aren't, as a species, because nobody starts locally, when people have the same attitude as you and come out with statements as you have:

I don't want to, as others say, start changing the world from myself, sacrifising my convenience
If you don't want to, then shame on you. Your mindset is I guess that it's not your problem, as you'll be dead and buried before the end of the century in all probability and won't see the increasing devastation caused by the biggest pest on the planet, humans.

I hate (literally british hate) the ones who yell that ICE is poop and it costs the quality of living for the next generations and that ICEs have to be eliminated because they are the sole bad guys in the equation
So I can only surmise that you hate me, which is fine if you want to, but I don't hold that ICE is the sole bad guy as you put it. I don't want to 'address them instead' as you say, because I start with me: the last new car I bought was the A2 in 2004, which I still run. I also have a second-hand, 6 year old EV and I lease a Tesla, which won't be replaced when it goes back. I don't support the use of greenbelt land when there's plenty of brownfield around that can be re-purposed and have never bought a new build.
I mainly eat plant based, but do eat meat sparingly, and when I do, it's locally sourced, not beef from a farm in Brazil for instance.

None of the above is an inconvenience.

It has to start now and it has to be every one of us and it has to include population control too, which may be a controversial thing to say, but it is true. This is one reason we only have one child.

However, this is now very off-topic, so let's either take it back on track, or close the thread.

OK.
I'll try to close it without any further questions being arised.
2. You didn't finish quoting my entry because the part you omitted was as important as the part you pasted.
Wilton Knight in 1982 Knight Rider said that one man can make a difference. We have a system here that we are dependant on so I'll stay on my opinion here. Plus, you even approved my opinion by answerring quote 1.

3. There are people who think ICEs are the sole bad guys. If you don't think exactly so, I think you'll understand that you took the offence you didn't deserve.

So I can only surmise that you hate me, which is fine if you want to, but I don't hold that ICE is the sole bad guy as you put it. I don't want to 'address them instead' as you say, because I start with me: the last new car I bought was the A2 in 2004, which I still run. I also have a second-hand, 6 year old EV and I lease a Tesla, which won't be replaced when it goes back. I don't support the use of greenbelt land when there's plenty of brownfield around that can be re-purposed and have never bought a new build.
I mainly eat plant based, but do eat meat sparingly, and when I do, it's locally sourced, not beef from a farm in Brazil for instance.

None of the above is an inconvenience.

It has to start now and it has to be every one of us and it has to include population control too, which may be a controversial thing to say, but it is true. This is one reason we only have one child.
I guess instead of telling each other to F ourselves which neither of us will do because after all we are civilized people, we should shake hands instead as if I ain't missing anything, the only thing we don't agree upon here are the EV VS ICE topic.

What actually was A2 paired with?
Polo, Ibiza and Fabia or Lupo, Arosa and Citigo?
If ID.2 will be a replacement for a Golf, that means, as it is written in the article, ID.1 will be the kit-cart version of Polo.
So if Lupo, Arosa and Citigo were 8Z's buddies, it kinda doesn't have a buddy in the ID family. :)

What actually was A2 paired with?
Polo, Ibiza and Fabia or Lupo, Arosa and Citigo?
The A2 was a totally standalone platform. Although it shares some of its running gear and the 1.4 engines with the 9N Polo and that generation of Fabia and Ibiza. (The engines possibly more widely across VAG?).

The small siblings all have the 1.2TDI, the bigger siblings all have the 1.4TDI.
I don't know if there were tinies with 1.4 or biggies with 1.2.
8Z has both. So I was kinda lost on that one. One thing mine has stranger-ish inside is the steering rake from Polo.
When I was, if I can say it like that, choosing the car, the candidates were all 4: Polo, Fabia, Ibiza and A2.
I picked A2 because I noticed its top gear was slightly longer. All other cars went 90 spinning at 2.2k and the A2 went the same 90 spinning at 2k.
And only when we bought the car, did I notice all other advantages it had.

@Dogbrain - I broke down your post into sections - to answer such a laissez faire and blasé statement in totality wouldn't be possible.

I didn't 'approve' your opinion in quote 1, I merely acknowledged that with the mindset you have, your statement is true sadly. But that shouldn't stop us from trying. Seeing as how you are fond of 1980's film quotes, how about this one?

"Do...or do not. There is no try."

I fear you may have chosen the wrong car for longevity in the A2 as it's so rare and parts will become only rarer. And in time, the fuel will become so ridiculously expensive too, making running costs even more prohibitive. Gear cables are no longer available, same for brake yoke cables, wiper arms, most body panels, window cable assemblies, glass, headlamps and so on.

Ironically, the gearing that drew you to the A2 is about the easiest thing to alter on the 02J gearboxes used in the Polo, Fabia et al. They all have a far bigger range of spares too.

I wanted to edit my post because I pressed "post" instead of pressing "reply" again, but I noticed you already replied to the small part.

I fear you may have chosen the wrong car for longevity in the A2 as it's so rare and parts will become only rarer. And in time, the fuel will become so ridiculously expensive too, making running costs even more prohibitive. Gear cables are no longer available, same for brake yoke cables, wiper arms, most body panels, window cable assemblies, glass, headlamps and so on.

Ironically, the gearing that drew you to the A2 is about the easiest thing to alter on the 02J gearboxes used in the Polo, Fabia et al. They all have a far bigger range of spares too.
At the time I did the picking, I knew nothing you wrote here. My research was a litle dry I guess. About altering the gear ratios, is it actually possible without splitting the box and changing gears mechanically? Or changing the diff?
About spares, by the time that you mentioned, will this forum exist? For now, when I browse used parts, a lot of 8Zs on display are RHD. I guess our business people buy your cars for spares. When I had to change my busted rear window though, I changed all the door.

For the part of your reply that I deleted, sorry. I don't understand french.

Look. If you wanna bully me, I don't mind and I won't ever bother to stop you. But please do it in PM because you were the one who wanted to either close the topic or guide it back on track. I tried, you got it right off again.

Yes, there were 7 minutes between your post and mine - if I jumped the gun, then apologies.

As to gearboxes, you can swap out the 5th ratio without removing the box from the car. You can do a 6 ratio swap to get an extra gear also. Search is your friend.

Laissez faire = attitude of not interfering and leaving things to happen
blasé = casual, uncaring or indifferent attitude

The forum has existed for over 20 years and I see no reason for it not to exist for another 20. However it will increasingly cater for the caring enthusiast, the collector and the restorer, as opposed to the ranks of owners who just want a cheap Audi badged car.

No bullying - not sure how you reach this conclusion, and I'm certainly not going to resort to contact via PM. I suppose the old idiom about arguing applies. The thread was about a forthcoming VW EV model which is at least 3 years from delivery, if it ever happens. As we've now moved totally away from that, I'll close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back