Water in passenger footwell

thestable

Hi folks.

Ive just Ben drying out the floor in the passenger side. That foam was soaked!!

I’ve noticed that the water is coming mainly from the A pillar area but slightly from around the centre console area. I’m hoping that it’s not a badly fitted windscreen. Is there any blockages I can check for?? Or solutions if it is the windscreen.

I have noticed condensation in a couple of areas right at the bottom of the screen inside i that confirms.

7e50adb2c545e6362a7810f56fafaf95.jpg

c169afd147012a0ed0d27b68224a8b02.jpg

8869493defeb3c6908d1143a4127f90b.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have Air con? Check the discharge pipe is emptyting in right place. If not then look for water ingress through the fan intake for the cabin perhaps. Try the scuttle area under the wipers adn check the windcreeen seal on that side. find a friend the hose it down while hyour in there with a torch. Good luck.

I shall check the pipes. And vents.

If it is a badly fitted windscreen how can this be confirmed? And what’s the normal process for auto glass sealing these units do you think?

Last thing I want is for this to get done and paid for and then it’s still leaking.

Thanks.

Just wondering if this is the original factory screen or a replacement as I had similar in a car i had many moons ago and initially discounted the screen as it was the original but what happens is that the adhesive that Audi used dries out over time which can lead to leaking and indeed this was the case with mine.

Original screen was removed, thoroughly cleaned and refitted with new adhesive and the problem solved.

When it was removed you could see where the adhesive was no longer adhered if that makes sense?

Hope this helps 👍

Just wondering if this is the original factory screen or a replacement as I had similar in a car i had many moons ago and initially discounted the screen as it was the original but what happens is that the adhesive that Audi used dries out over time which can lead to leaking and indeed this was the case with mine.

Original screen was removed, thoroughly cleaned and refitted with new adhesive and the problem solved.

When it was removed you could see where the adhesive was no longer adhered if that makes sense?

Hope this helps

It’s been replaced back august 2021 but I’ve never noticed the water until now.

My cars interior has been battered over the last couple of years so I’m thinking I need to get a lot of the parts replaced.

FOund your problem then :) I had a new screen from Autoglass, I let the man jsut get on with it, turns out I shouldnt have! The screen is sat on deep foam/rubber backing around the edges and when they set the screen in it all looks fine. Then, 5 minutes later youll see it starts to rise up maybe just in one corner or one side. My first screen was up all down the driver side and you could push it up and down on the foam. Second man came, slagged the first man off adn did exactly the same, only this time I placed 20kg of sand bag down each A pillar area of the screen and pinned it down. Been perfect since.

As always the A2 requires a level of attention and care beyond other cars!

similar experience as others; i had a new windscreen fitted on my sportage by autoglass. seemed fine 'till i went through the carwsh and had water literally pour through the cabin lights and out of the sunroof switch!
call them out and tell them you believe their fitting isnt correct. they'll take it off and hopefully confirm and refit FoC.

good luck

OK so Autoglass are assessing the A2 on tuesday, I'm hoping that they are going to reinstall the windscreen. with that being said do you think I should preempt this visit and get 2 x 20kg bags of sand and weight them at the bottom corners of the screen after it's been reinstalled?

is there anything else I can do to ensure that this is a re fit and forget issue.??

thanks

Will be well worth having maybe 5kgs or so ready. I stood and watched the sides to make sure it was rising first. Yours may not, lord knows why mine did. I placed the sand bags gently half on the a pillar half on the screen. I waited for the man to go but if he's got time maybe he can wait 5 mins to see if it rises. Beat be safe than sorry was my thoughts. Good luck sir it will be fine 🙂

Just had autoglass bloke come refit the screen. Same one as before. He checked it. Said there was nothing wrong but put a thicker than normal bead of sealant around it. Hopefully it should be ok. It was wet bottom corner so but some sand bags and left it to cure.

Could the broken scuttle be the cause??

fc36f4f8dd10dafd9e10332af3bcdc70.jpg

117dc208c3563b3ec165592b8e25a6cf.jpg

The scuttle is basically there to divert water and would have no bearing on a leaky windscreen. It should be bonded all the way around. 👍

Just had autoglass bloke come refit the screen. Same one as before. He checked it. Said there was nothing wrong but put a thicker than normal bead of sealant around it. Hopefully it should be ok. It was wet bottom corner so but some sand bags and left it to cure.

Could the broken scuttle be the cause??

fc36f4f8dd10dafd9e10332af3bcdc70.jpg

117dc208c3563b3ec165592b8e25a6cf.jpg

Bravo although I said one each side, has it settled okay? ??

Bravo although I said one each side, has it settled okay? ??

Yeah i did start with them both sides at first. it all looked i just hope it sorts it otherwise ill have to start digging deeper.

I watched the bloke so it and he said it all looked fine when it was taken off. But there was no question there was water getting in from somewhere as the foam along the front bottom quarter was wet.

So it felt to me like it was the screen rather than a pipe or vent. But ill see in due course.

Out of curiosity were the two distance pieces (wedges) correctly fitted at the base of the windscreen?

Audi is also very specific about the size and position of the sealant for the windscreen and can leak if this is not followed...

Out of curiosity were the two distance pieces (wedges) correctly fitted at the base of the windscreen?

Audi is also very specific about the size and position of the sealant for the windscreen and can leak if this is not followed...

There was no wedge used. It was placed with a sucker. Then he used the suckers to compress at the top and seal at the top.

No there are wedges, Audi parts that live at the bottom of the windscreen to locate it .....and remain there once the screen is fitted.

No 9 in this diagram..

Hi Bud.
My screen was checked by Autoglass & told screens Ok!

Stumped as I’d tried everything.
Then took Scuttle off very carefully & found foam which diverts the water in the wrong places.
So cleaned it all & corrected foam to run at the bottom & all good.
Photo was how it looked after taking the scuttle off.
You would have though when they did the screen they would maybe check it. .....Moved all the foam down to the lip.
also a short pipe from the hole in the scuttle so it passed the foam on the bulkhead.
I'd checked a photo of how it should be fitted as new but don't have that photo!

Hope it helps.
Tones

Attachments

• EC070D18-D4EA-4B90-A1B7-86F2CCB95392.jpeg
    EC070D18-D4EA-4B90-A1B7-86F2CCB95392.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 124
  • 38556E26-DCE9-4657-B5F2-FA722559E44A.jpeg
    38556E26-DCE9-4657-B5F2-FA722559E44A.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Back