water leak

having a few probs with my new 1.6 fsi, but slowly but surley this website is helping sort out the gremlins.

Just had a cambelt change done at my local autocentre, get this, audi chester..........£585 to a audi independent.... £300 to autocentre at ......................£153 all in the complete timing kit. not offical parts, but the work guaranteed for 12 months.

You also get 10% off if you have a tesco club card. good service and very friendly, i hope that this info helps somebody else.

ANYWAY MOVING ON TO PROBLEMS, HAVE GOT A WATER LEAK RUNNING DOWN FROM A HIGH POINT ON THE ENGINE, THE FLUID SEEMS TO BE SLIMEY.

MADE SOME ENQUIRIES, AND HAVE RULED OUT THE POWER STEERING FLUID. ITS DEF NOT OIL AS THE STAINS ON MY BLOCK PAVING EVAPORATES 24HOURS LATER.

AUTO CENTRE SEEM TO THINK THAT IT IS THE WATE PUMP, SO NOW CHECKING ON THE WATER RES. TANK TO SEE IF IT GOES DOWN. DONT WANT TO CHANGE THE WATER PUMP IN CASE IT IS A LEAKING HOSE OR OTHER.

DOES ANY ONE NOW WHERE ABOUTS THE WATER PUMP IS LOCATED ON THE CAR, IS IT QUITE HIGH UP?

OR ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS VERY MUCH.

CHEERS

ANDREW007007.

Hi Andrew
If the coolant level in the expansion bottle is not going down then its possible the water on the drive could be condensation dripping from the aircon rad. This is normal, particularly in warmer weather - assuming you have aircon of course.

The water pump is at the front of the engine and is driven by the cambelt. Occasionally pumps have been known to fail after replacement of the cambelt, possibly due to the increased tension induced by the new belt.

Cheers Spike

Hi Andrew
If the coolant level in the expansion bottle is not going down then its possible the water on the drive could be condensation dripping from the aircon rad. This is normal, particularly in warmer weather - assuming you have aircon of course.

The water pump is at the front of the engine and is driven by the cambelt. Occasionally pumps have been known to fail after replacement of the cambelt, possibly due to the increased tension induced by the new belt.

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the reply.

Do have aircon, but dont use it, have heard a simlar story before about this but got informed that it would only be this if i used the aircon.

Talking of aircon, I have been told when driving the car i should allways keep the econ button on as this stops the turbine from spinning and saves petrol?

any thoughts? thanks in advance.

Snap! Well kind of - ours does exactly the same but definitely only when we have had the air con on. I am therefore guessing & hoping this is condensation drip as Spike suggests.

Coolant levels all seem fine. In addition to this do you guys know if the expansion tank blue cap should click shut or not when tightened fully? It clicks shut on my S4 but not on my Corrado which has the same tank and cap as the A2? This initially was my route of the water on the road after a journey?

Hope that helps and any ideas on the expansion cap?!

cheers
Rob

expansion tank

will check mine tomorrow and drop you a line.

any ideas on the aircon, ie, correct way to use it?

thanks

andrew007007

Hi Andrew
On A2's the aircon compressor spins all the time but only works at about 2% capacity in Econ mode. On other cars without this system it is very important to use the aircon regularly otherwise the seals on the compressor deteriorate through lack of use and cause premature failure. I have not read anything to say this is a requirement on our A2's but I believe the system will keep its efficciency and last longer with regular use.
I personally leave the aircon on all the time and find it makes little difference to my diesels fuel economy. It certainly adds to the comfort level in summer and keeps the windows mist free in winter - driving with the front windows open is not a pleasant experience and even Open Sky gets noisy above 60mph.

Cheers Spike

blue cap,make sure the seal is sitting correctly insde the cap.
oh it doesnt click just tighten it up VFT
you can always compare with your corrado :p

blue cap,make sure the seal is sitting correctly insde the cap.
oh it doesnt click just tighten it up VFT
you can always compare with your corrado :p

Thanks for the info re the cap - yes I guess that should have been my first thought! However being new to the A2 and seeing a bit of water underneath gave me a shudder then thinking about it linked to the aircon it made sense!

cheers
Rob

Hi Andrew
On A2's the aircon compressor spins all the time but only works at about 2% capacity in Econ mode. On other cars without this system it is very important to use the aircon regularly otherwise the seals on the compressor deteriorate through lack of use and cause premature failure. I have not read anything to say this is a requirement on our A2's but I believe the system will keep its efficciency and last longer with regular use.
I personally leave the aircon on all the time and find it makes little difference to my diesels fuel economy. It certainly adds to the comfort level in summer and keeps the windows mist free in winter - driving with the front windows open is not a pleasant experience and even Open Sky gets noisy above 60mph.

Cheers Spike

Thanks spike.

I am reluntcant to use aircon due to fuel compsumtion, as i am not impressed with its fuel now without aircon on now. However, i will now use it and take on your advice.

i have since now checked my rad. coolant level and it has gone down below min, so looks like i have a problem with the pump or pipe somewhere.

thanks andrew.

Hi Andrew - what fuel consumption are you getting? As far as I know my wife is regularly getting about 400 miles out of a full tank - normal unleaded, mix of m'way and b roads.
(1.6 FSI)

1.6 fuel comsumption

sorry for the delay.

last fill was on normal unleaded with tesco. full tank and got just under 300 miles?????? so this is quite worrying??

Have just done another refill with shell unleaded not v. and will now clock this.

cheers

andrew007007

no need to apologise! I will double check with my wife tonight and let you know if any different. Bear in mind that she drives very steadily and does not tend to have a heavy right foot! That's what she tells me anyway!

I would monitor for you myself but after my wife's intial doubt about buying an A2 I now cannot get near it!

ouch that sounds low for an fsi i do the same trip to work of 30 miles 6 days a week, half my trip is country roads 30-40mph the rest is A road 60-80(depends if i'm late!) i get 435miles from each tank week in week out. infact since having skipton cruise fitted the last week i got 455miles cruise set at 70. i am as you could imagine very happy with the economy.
i'm sorry i cant help you as to why you are getting less, i run my one on the super unleaded from tesco's 98ron i believe.
p.s no air-con as i dont have it! good luck finding the cure. just a thought how many litres does it take to fill it up? could your tank be dented and take less fuel/was there a smaller tank on an other model thats been fitted top your car?

FSI petrol consumption

without sounding thick! whats skipton cruise? coming to the end of my second fill on shell unleaded, looks like i will be getting about 310 miles out of this one - so slight improvement.

may have mentioned before that i called audi leeds and had a good chat to a tech. he seemed to think that previous owner had been running on basic unleaded and has been clogged up.

recomended several full fills on super, shell v, and work out a average, before getting a true mpg.

another member had mentioned wynnes petrol additive from halfords just got some over the weekend, so will stick this in on my next fill. (£4.99)

If the mpg does not improve much, will be selling the car next year, but getting a a2 d.

cheers

andrew

Back