What is the safe maximum wading depth of an A2?

dj_efk

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Well with biblical rains and floods everywhere down here, driving through floodwater is inevitable- I avoid it as there seems to be a strong correlation between doing so and front wheel bearings failure shortly afterward, however if I have to, would the bottom lip of the bumper be a safe limit?

I’m aware the problem would not be water entering the engine due to the high position of the intake (and the fact that if the water blocked the little drain hole in the filter housing, the engine wouldn’t suck it in due to the same factor), but rather the risk of the underfloor compartments getting flooded and toasting the electrics.

Is my theory that no higher than the bottom lip of the bumper or bottom edge of the sill covers therefore correct?

Last edited:
That would be too deep for my A2 but it sits quite high on its towing springs. I'd expect front wheel bearing failure.

If your car is lowered you may get away with the bottom lip of the bumper.

Yes the last front wheelbearing failure did occur (excessive droning) after having gone through a flood now you say that, although it was up to just below the door sills that time - it was slightly deeper than I had thought.

Bottom lip is probably about right. I am sure I've seen the max wading depth in an Audi manual listed as not above the height of the underbody but I think that this may have been in a manual for an A3 8V rather than the A2...
Edit: it was from the A3 manual, therefore possibly not relevant to the A2

1701963382587.png

Common sense would say surface water should never get to the under body level surely?
I'm sure the cat, (and lots of other bits down there), wouldn't like being dunked.
If in doubt keep it out.
Mac.

Well below Air filter housing I should imagine as would suck water into the engine.

Interesting that water can toast a wheel bearing, I didn’t know that, thou makes sense. I wonder if that is why I lost one earlier in the year after last years rain? I definitely avoid standing water and - to the annoyance of fellow road users - if I have no choice, I go throu on idle in 1st gear. I‘m not sure I’d attempt to get through water that came anywhere near the bottom of the car, I’ve seen an engine that ingested water and it wasn’t pretty

J

My next door neighbours sister had an A2 for years he has told me on the couple of occasions his sister eventually killed it by driving into water during a flash flood under a bridge apparently it floated.

Every car floats a while.

There is a technique to ford waters that are deeper than some static depth, but you have to do it the right way...

i love to watch people trying to pass fords with speed - cars knackered as water goes in to air intake - take it slow and gentle if you have to

Interesting that water can toast a wheel bearing, I didn’t know that, thou makes sense. I wonder if that is why I lost one earlier in the year after last years rain? I definitely avoid standing water and - to the annoyance of fellow road users - if I have no choice, I go throu on idle in 1st gear. I‘m not sure I’d attempt to get through water that came anywhere near the bottom of the car, I’ve seen an engine that ingested water and it wasn’t pretty

J
The next time you fit a sealed bearing take a good look at the seal. The seals aren't great and only any good for deflecting dust and the occasional splash. Some seals don't survive the pressing in process. As soon as they are submersed water gets in and the bearing fails over time on short runs or on the next long motorway run.
Old style bearings with a separate seal to the stub axle not only seal better but after a swimming lesson they can be stripped, greased and reassembled, there are no ill effects providing maintenance is done before further driving.

Having found this out the hard way I would say not very deep. It basically stalled in not very deep (but rapidly rising) water and wouldn't restart. Had to abandon it and when I came back the water was part way up the doors and nearly level with the transmission tunnel inside.

Attachments

• IMG-20230331-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20230331-WA0001.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
Just don't IMO, the Air filter is basically on the bottom of the under tray and very likely to suck in water. Best case you stall and need the filter dried, worst case Hydro lock and dead engine. I wince driving through puddle near my place.

I leave the A2 at home and take my Discovery.

Thats exactly what I have in my Tdi with thanks to a friend Andrew who is not a member any longer.

Back