What sets our alarms off?

Morning all, my housemate found my car on the road with its alarm set off.

Had a minor panic attack and rushed out about 20mins after she found it set off, and the alarm was turned off and the car seemed fine, didn’t seem like anyone had crashed into it either.

I unlocked and locked the car and it seemed like it’s normal self. I know the only times I’ve set it off is if I’m sitting inside the car while locked and I make too much large movements (eg: leaning back to grab something), but it normally goes off the moment I lock the car again.

Just curious what y’all think might’ve set it off if i cant see any visible crash damage etc?

Had a minor panic attack and rushed out about 20mins after she found it set off, and the alarm was turned off and the car seemed fine, didn’t seem like anyone had crashed into it either.

I unlocked and locked the car and it seemed like it’s normal self. I know the only times I’ve set it off is if I’m sitting inside the car while locked and I make too much large movements (eg: leaning back to grab something), but it normally goes off the moment I lock the car again.

Just curious what y’all think might’ve set it off if i cant see any visible crash damage etc?
A scan will tell you what triggered it.
Mac.

Often, I find driving home with the heater on full blast & the cabin nice & warm, I lock the car come inside about half an hour later my wife shouts your alarm is gone off. switch on/off and its fine.
I think from very warm cabin to very cold is what triggers it. this happens with the tdi, but the other petrol ones are immune to this.

Mine has character too

Thinking either boot latch as light works when it wants or service flap. I do know the o/s/r passenger door microswitch is faulty also

Reactions: Ami
@Howey I have o/s/r micro switch as well can add to the picture of the drivers window regulator tomorrow if required :)

Loud car /motorbike, military jets at fast speeds to name a few
other culprits.

Often, I find driving home with the heater on full blast & the cabin nice & warm, I lock the car come inside about half an hour later my wife shouts your alarm is gone off. switch on/off and its fine.
I think from very warm cabin to very cold is what triggers it. this happens with the tdi, but the other petrol ones are immune to this.
Thanks Ami! That’s really interesting.

Let’s see how things go 🤔

Thanks Mac!

I don’t have a reliable scanner with me. I’ll have to monitor and Hope it doesn’t happen again. 🤔
If there's an issue and you don't do anything about it, it tends to happen again.
It's worth having a scanner, the vcds lite is free and still can do a fair bit, but if the laptop connection what bothers you, then get the one that I and others have been recommending.
It's called Xtool vag401, can do a bunch of things, price is still good, most importantly in your case is to scan the CCU. I pretty much guarantee you have at least 3 fault codes there.
What used to set my alarm off a lot, was a bad battery, as below certain voltage the alarm gets triggered. I got new battery and haven't happened since.
I do recommend to get a scanner, I see it as an essential item.

Last edited:
If there's an issue and you don't do anything about it, it tends to happen again.
It's worth having a scanner, the vcds lite is free and still can do a fair bit, but if the laptop connection what bothers you, then get the one that I and others have been recommending.
It's called Xtool vag401, can do a bunch of things, price is still good, most importantly in your case is to scan the CCU. I pretty much guarantee you have at least 3 fault codes there.
What used to set my alarm off a lot, was a bad battery, as below certain voltage the alarm gets triggered. I got new battery and haven't happened since.
I do recommend to get a scanner, I see it as an essential item.
Thanks Sylvester, I will definitely look into the Xtool! I see some for 40pounds and others for 80.

I did get 2 different ones from ebay in the past, and they almost never work proper.

But interesting that the alarm goes off if the batt is low.

Back