White dot matrix screen

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
This is my low milage skoda superb 2.0tdi bin/dog bed on wheels.

I just looked at the screen and thought why can't this be fit to an A2? It's soneasy on the eye...

Anyone tried or know why it can't be done?
20240103_163428.jpg

We already have an A2 version it is called Full DIS.......;)
Evening Graham,

Judging by the threads title I understand Edd was on about the white LCD screen opposed to the red LCD screen.

This is my low milage skoda superb 2.0tdi bin/dog bed on wheels.

I just looked at the screen and thought why can't this be fit to an A2? It's soneasy on the eye...

Anyone tried or know why it can't be done?
Evening Edd,

Whilst there should be no issue with swapping the red LCD screen for a white LCD screen, I’ve never seen a white screen with the pads that you solder to the clusters PCB in the correct place. Sure someone could could have something made though.

Unless you can solder the replacement screen to your existing cluster then you'll have to get someone do it for you and might not be that much more to go for a ColorMFA or ColorMFD upgrade at the same time.

Kind regards,

Tom

Ah ok so there some differences, enough to make it not worth hassle. As you say may swell go colour. I love the white its easy to see and the black seems less prone to sunlight on the newer screen (2014).

Another Q - Can a petrol full dis screen be fit to tdi half dis cluster?

Ah ok so there some differences, enough to make it not worth hassle. As you say may swell go colour. I love the white its easy to see and the black seems less prone to sunlight on the newer screen (2014).

Sounds like a question for @timmus .FWIW he has just upgraded the basic dis in my TDi to the full (but not the all singing colour) version.

Sounds like a question for @timmus .FWIW he has just upgraded the basic dis in my TDi to the full (but not the all singing colour) version.
Hi Simon,

Yes it’s certainly easier to upgraded from half DIS to full DIS. Done this quite a few times now and have another to do in the morning. Swapping the LCD screen is a little more intricate then even more so swapping to a ColorMFA or ColorMFD screen.

Back to Edd’s @CrispyEdd topic though, I’ll ask my contacts to see if a monochrome type screen can be produced with the soldering pads in the correct place for the A2 generation of instrument cluster. I have a couple of spares here that I could test a monochrome screen on if I can get one produced, but feel that if it can be produced then there will be a minimum order quantity, which could render this a no-go venture. Leave it with me as I like a challenge.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi again Edd,

Missed this part of your message earlier Sir. Whist converting a half DIS cluster to a full DIS cluster is possible it’s a lot of work and you’d probably pay much more than just obtaining a full DIS instrument cluster for your TDI.

The actual red LCD screen on the full DIS clusters are the same so are interchangeable but just not worth the effort when a TDI cluster can be found reasonably easily.

I might well have a such a spare next week after a little update to a certain Jaipur Red A2. What year is the TDI in question.

I could easily make up a spare DIS retrofit loom for you if you’re going ti be passing my way soon. Maybe have a detailed chat about swapping a Webasto whilst you’re here.

Kind regards,

Tom.

Back