Why is this cable below the pipe?

rasA2

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
As per title I found the bracket loosely hanging (blue arrow? So I’ve what I think correctly it’s in 2 parts the lower looks like to the gearbox there’s a cable with 2 retainers (red arrows) which should clip into the blue arrow bracket not sure how this cable is below the (green) pipe
Any way of correcting this?
IMG_7659.jpeg

Are you able to take an image from slightly further out or from a couple of angles? I can't work out the orientation at the moment and consequently I don't know what I'm looking at. Are those ABS / brake pipes (4 black shiny pipes lower centre of shot)?

Are you able to take an image from slightly further out or from a couple of angles? I can't work out the orientation at the moment and consequently I don't know what I'm looking at. Are those ABS / brake pipes (4 black shiny pipes lower centre of shot)?
IMG_7662.jpeg
IMG_7663.jpeg

Last edited:
Thats the main engine loom coming in from the ecu in the cabin. It's only the loom that should be inside the clip.
Yes thats right i am querying about the small corrugated pipe underneath it which should clip into the bracket underneath it has 2 holes for the poppers to go into from the 1st picture. But somehow from previous owners/garages its been swapped?
Just had another look i think that corrugated pipe is going to the starter motor?

Took this clamp (blue arrow) off again to show the 2 holes

IMG_7664.jpeg
IMG_7665.jpeg

Last edited:
The small corrugated pipe is indeed the wires for the starter and shoukd be affixed to hang up from gearbox shift mechanism but below the main loom bracket. I did mine recently on a bby.
Trou ke is those push rivets don't hold so you need to be inventive.

As for the green pipe looks like a oil pipe or clutch oil feed pipe? Not sure really where that goes 🤔

The small corrugated pipe is indeed the wires for the starter and shoukd be affixed to hang up from gearbox shift mechanism but below the main loom bracket. I did mine recently on a bby.

As for the green pipe looks like a oil pipe or clutch oil feed pipe? Not sure really where that goes 🤔
Thanks the green pipe is pretty solid i think it just sits where it is.

There's some kind of aluminium plate right above the starter I will have to disconnect it somehow?

After my travails this morning I was wondering if that is one of the pipes taking pressurised oil from the steering pump to the steering rack? Not the ones that distribute fluid within the rack - the two longer ones that traverse the entire engine bay from pump to steering rack pinion housing around the back of the engine. The thing that's suggesting that to me is where it transitions into a narrower gauge metal pipe. However, the other thought around there near to the ABS pipework is aircon fluid pipes, but I thought they were alloy and somewhat higher up physically in the engine bay in front of the coolant expansion vessel.

Will be interested to find out what these turn out to be when someone who knows what they're talking about shows up :)

Having just reread the original post I note that it's an AUA - which is what I have outside. I will have a look at ours in the morning to compare.

My other half took the car out when I thought I was going to have a window of opportunity, and today it is dull and raining - and she is going out again imminently. I will have another try tomorrow.

And having said that I jinxed myself to have 10 minutes when I knew I had time to have a look.

As @A2Steve and @CrispyEdd have commented above, the large squarish plastic duct is the carrier for the main loom coming through the bulkhead, around 4 inches away from where it opens up and spreads out around the back of the engine.

The smaller corrugated tube is what looks like a heavy gauge power cable going to the starter motor. It is secured to the lower part of the main cable duct by a metal L-shaped bracket as Steve says above

The mystery pipe - once I followed it forward and backward - is a flexible part immediately before a metal - S-bend that leads to the union joint with the clutch actuator as suggested by @CrispyEdd

Now - re the relative levels of all of these items in our car : I have taken an image from higher up in the same plane as you did, and then two images from slightly different angles to the side of the prominent a/c pipe in the centre of the image here. In the second and third images you can see the S-bend in the pipe going to the clutch actuator (itself obscured by the 4 black brake pipes from the ABS unit).

Hope these are good enough? The car is now no longer available for modelling jobs this afternoon ;)

1714829071481.png

1714829148723.png

1714829159046.png

Thanks so it looks like I need to somehow disconnect the corrugated pipe over the brake line. Also as you know there’s a mechanism looks like the gear linkage? So I can after disconnecting the battery I could reroute this offending cable.
Looks like a 10/13mm nut. I’ll see if I can find a picture

Back