Window Regulator - which after market manufacturer?

Fiona

United-Kingdom
Morning all.

So after picking the husband up on Friday night he opened the window and it stayed open! After stripping the door down, finding the motor still working, we discover the cable has snapped. I've looked at the various threads about changing the whole frame but wonder if buying an ageing item is the way to go or should we buy a new regulator as everything is in bits.

If we bought a replacement part (passenger side not available on Audi Tradition) which after market brand can anyone recommend please? Autodoc list quite a few makes ranging in price from £68 - £124. Any advice gratefully received.

Fitting an aftermarket window regulator is quite difficult and that's why most people just change the frame.

On most conventional cars, the regulator is bolted to the door itself and then attaches to the glass seperately. With the A2 the regulator is part of the door frame structure.

I would second @A2Steve advice. Frame easier to fit all in one go.

If employing a garage to fit a regulator this maybe the path of least resistance?
All depends on how used to working on your motor you are, and if you hit a snag when fitting yourself there's loads of assistance available at A2oc.

Thanks Steve, I've read most of your threads about this, really helpful Everything is out and ready to be changed. My reluctance, which maybe misplaced, is that a door frame would be second hand and getting on a bit even from the 'newest' A2.

@rotifer I am employing the husband and brother (mechanic) to do this!

Really wondered if anyone had fitted a regulator only and what make they went with.

Next question to @A2Steve would be - do you have one if we go this route?

AFAIK.

A removed window frame would improve access to the regulator mech that's mounted on the inside of the door. It's likely the removal of the bolts and moving the frame in and out of the door space in situ that's the difficult bit.
Edit
After looking at the image closer the regulator is pop riveted to the frame. It will need drilling out.
Screenshot_20240318_153704_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Good luck :) 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the 7ZAP picture on the website and zoomed in only to find the regulator is pop riveted to the frame and not bolted in as I thought previous.

I edited my post above to reflect my mistake.

I hope this is useful info.
:)👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the 7ZAP picture on the website and zoomed in only to find the regulator is pop riveted to the frame and not bolted in as I thought previous.

I edited my post above to reflect my mistake.

I hope this is useful info.
:)👍

Thanks. We did notice when we took it all apart that it was riveted. Used to that sort of thing - we also have a Land Rover on which everything seems to be pop riveted together!

Bit of an update with the window regulator.

Bought the Valeo one from Autodoc, didn't know which brand and that was at the top of the list so thought that will do. Watched a couple of Autodoc videos for changing one on an A4, nothing for the A2, which gave a rough idea on what to expect. Pretty straightforward job if you have the tools and a bit of patience.

We did have a bit of fettling to do with one of the fixing points. When we put the glass in it didn't run true, one side seemed a bit high, glass didn't sit flat and seemed to be under a lot of pressure when pushing up and down by hand. Took the window out again and re drilled the fixing hole to move it over just a few mm, re riveted and much better action. Put it all back together - needed longer bolts for the attaching the plastic part of the regulator to the motor as original screws were just too short - tested and all working.

Took lots of pics as to how the door card and fixings, marked levels of the frame, took note of witness marks, etc. Made it much easier when it came to re fitting. Nothing was rusted or corroded and none of the clips broke.

So as some of you say, bit of a fiddly job and some wrangling but not too bad at all, more time consuming than difficult. And my regulator is brand spangly new!

Last edited:
Back