windscreen wipers working intermittently.

Trimley61

A2OC Donor
I have recently encountered a problem with my windscreen wipers. They are only working occasionally whatever position they are moved to, intermittent, slow, fast etc. From previous experience on other cars, I have found it could be the relay sticking or the arm worn. Looking at the manual I cant find where it lists relays etc. Does anyone have any knowledge on where to find and identify them? James.

May be worth checking the wiper motor is adequately earthed, if the relay isn't the cause of your woes. From what I've read this can be a weak spot.

John

May be worth checking the wiper motor is adequately earthed, if the relay isn't the cause of your woes. From what I've read this can be a weak spot.

John

I second that, a dodgy earth is a likely cause. There are known problems with the wiper earth, try a wire directly from a good earthing point (engine for example) to the body of the wiper and see if that helps (you might need someone to operate the wipers while you are earthing out the body of the motor (and be careful with the moving parts, I wouldn't want you to fix the wiper but then have no fingers left to operate the switch!!!)

If that makes a difference then check the wiper earthing point (and the one under the passenger headlight as well for good measure)

Steve B

Thanks John, have new relay now fitted and appears to now be okay! Will monitor for a while and take your advice about the earthing if things start to play up again, James.

I have fitted a new relay and this seems to have fixed the problem. I will monitor the wipers and if they play up, will check out the earthing! Thanks for the advice, James.

Thanks Spike for the advice. New relay £42 from Audi! seems to have fixed the fault. Am monitoring the wipers and and touch wood they continue to be okay! James.

Commenting on this old thread as I’ve now got similar issues. I’ve got a separate Earth for the wiper motor which I’ve taken off and cleaned but the intermittent wipers have now completely stopped. Going to have a look in the passenger footwell for the relay but no idea exactly what I’m looking for and what to replace. I’m currently in a covered car park and due a drive back in the rain so any help on what the relay is to get and where it is exactly would be really helpful.

IMG_8165.jpeg
IMG_8164.jpeg

Hello if you're near a motor factor buy some glass polish, rainX and cleaning cloths.
If you have a long journey ahead the super clean windscreen treated with the rainx product will mean if the wipers pack up you'll still be able to see out the windscreen.

Hello if you're near a motor factor buy some glass polish, rainX and cleaning cloths.
If you have a long journey ahead the super clean windscreen treated with the rainx product will mean if the wipers pack up you'll still be able to see out the windscreen.
Exactly what I’m doing at the moment. I’ve got some older Halfords rain X copy so doing my best to get a few coats on. Great advice :)

Good luck. Checked the part number and that is the wiper relay.

There are loads for sale at all the recyclers and tonnes of new parts available too.

So relay changed and absolutely nothing moving in the wiper motor. What autos be the next best thing to check and what is the easiest to check?

I’ll add a third Earth to the motor in addition to the one that I added years ago and is it worth having a check of the main Earth under the headlight?
Then it’s
Motor
Stalk

What else should I check?

Back