Wishbone Bushes - HELP please

Cliff

I am replacing the front bushes on the wishbones, I have popped these out quite easily but upon getting the new ones from the mator factor they have all the matching numbers but are encased in a thin wall alloy/tin tube and look to be totally wrong. Audi dealer agrees alll the numbers are correct. The Originals are just a simple alloy tube bonded to a rubber bush (suprisingly small) at one end. My car (2002), was built at some sort of 'facelift changeover'' and a lot of the bits I order are incorrect even against the VIN number through Audi. Any ideas here please. Can I get something suitable that comes from the VW, Skoda, Seat parts bin ?? The original part number still cleary visible is 8Z0 407 182 C and everything cross referenes with this - including the new one manufactured by Bilstein.
At the moment I am going to press the old ones back in to get me mobile until I can find the correct bits.
Thanks. Cliff.

Are your current wishbones forged or pressed? Actually, shouldn't matter, both seem to use the same bush. Are they original or aftermarket?

it doesn't matter, there's only one bush type, and that part is correct for the front bush of the wishbone. the *rear* bush is different.

A quick diagram is here: https://www.x1-autoteile.de/index.p...00&groupnode=101835&genArtNr=3103&carId=13360

Article numberr 100 407 0089 is the front bush for the wishbone.
Article number 1006100017 is the rear bush.

Pics, please. And I believe you should be replacing the bolt that holds the wishbone on, but I'd have to double-check that.

- Bret

Are your current wishbones forged or pressed? Actually, shouldn't matter, both seem to use the same bush. Are they original or aftermarket?
Thank you for the feedback. Wishbones are forged, and the ones I have pressed out are original at 185,000 mls.
Cliff.

it doesn't matter, there's only one bush type, and that part is correct for the front bush of the wishbone. the *rear* bush is different.

A quick diagram is here: https://www.x1-autoteile.de/index.p...00&groupnode=101835&genArtNr=3103&carId=13360

Pics, please. And I believe you should be replacing the bolt that holds the wishbone on, but I'd have to double-check that.

- Bret
Bret,
Thanks very much for comprehensive reply - most helpful. Regarding the bolt, this is original at 185,000 mls, and was not actually that tight and easily came off. I did read up on this on the forum and noted the warnings and even went so far as to buy the correct hex socket for it. I could easily have got it off with basic spanners. I am doing this at the same time as changing the off-side inner CV joint (completed), which as it fails gives rise to an very inconsistent vibration. The car is now on its third inner CV joint (same one).
Thanks,
Cliff.

Any chance the bush outer metal sleeve has de-bonded and is still stuck inside the wishbone ?

Cheers Spike
Spike,
No I dont think so, I have had another look and it just looks like a basic casting, but when the rain stops i am going to have a closer inspection. Also the photos from the catalogue that Bret has sent me do not show any form of outer light alloy casing just basic rubber bushing as I was expecting.
Thanks. Cliff.

- Bret
Bret,
Attached a photo of the original, and the new Bilstein part.
Cliff.

Attachments

• Bush 1.JPG
    Bush 1.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 306
Any chance the bush outer metal sleeve has de-bonded and is still stuck inside the wishbone ?

Cheers Spike
Spike,
You were quite correct, the outer casing was infact still stuck inside the wishbone. I should have had a closer look and at my age should have known better. My apologises to you all for wasting your time and thanks for the feedback. Lets hope this helps people who follow our tracks.
Cliff.

- Bret
Bret,
As you may have seen in other posts, the outer casing had seperated from the rubber and was stuck inside the wishbone. Chopped it out and new ones pressed in. Sorry to have wasted your time on this.
Cliff.

Spike,
You were quite correct, the outer casing was infact still stuck inside the wishbone. I should have had a closer look and at my age should have known better. My apologises to you all for wasting your time and thanks for the feedback. Lets hope this helps people who follow our tracks.
Cliff.

No apology needed.
Good to see you've got it sorted and as you say, someone else is sure to come across the same problem in the future.

Cheers Spike

Back