Would these wheels fit ok

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Hi all,
Would these Audi wheels below fit my A2 Audi Tdi?

A1 16" Alloy Wheels 5 Spoke Rims 215/45/16

Thanks

Hi all,
Would these Audi wheels below fit my A2 Audi Tdi?

A1 16" Alloy Wheels 5 Spoke Rims 215/45/16

I assume that we're talking about these wheels:

These wheels are 6J x 16 ET30. The correct A2 spec 6J x 16 wheels are ET35. So they lack sufficient offset, and most certainly shouldn't be used with a low profile wide tyre of the size you suggest.

I assume that we're talking about these wheels:

These wheels are 6J x 16 ET30. The correct A2 spec 6J x 16 wheels are ET35. So they lack sufficient offset, and most certainly shouldn't be used with a low profile wide tyre of the size you suggest.
Thanks for that:)👍

The wheels will fit. The tyres 21545/16 most certainly won't though. Regardless of what vehicle these tyres are on, 215 width tyres are simply too wide for a 6J
All A1 16" wheels will fit the A2 and 215/45 16 tyres (although on the large size) will fit the A2 too.

The op hasn't said exactly which A1 wheels he is referring to but if they are indeed genuine A1 wheels factory fit with 215/45 16 tyres then they will fit but will be 7j rims

If they are indeed 6j wheels as you have speculated then they wouldn't have been fit with 215/45 16 so if he was looking to retro fit them then I agree with you they would be too wide for the wheels 👍

Last edited:
Just a quick question off topic.
Is in UK legal to just put any tires on that fit? Because here only homologated dimensions can be put on a car. So, my car has only 185 16inch tires homologated and if I would put on 195 or 175, the car would fail MOT, would not be street legal and in case of accident the insurance company could void the payment.

Just a quick question off topic.
Is in UK legal to just put any tires on that fit? Because here only homologated dimensions can be put on a car. So, my car has only 185 16inch tires homologated and if I would put on 195 or 175, the car would fail MOT, would not be street legal and in case of accident the insurance company could void the payment.
I've just done a quick search of the relevant sections of The Construction and Use Regulations and can find nothing that would prevent the fitting of different sized tyres on any car, provided that they have adequate axle weight capacity.
The Regulations don't allow the fitting of cross ply, radial or bias belted tyres on the same axle and, if you were to fit a mix of tyre types, the Regulations state on which axle each type of tyre should be fitted.
As an aside, on another marque's forum I have read of instances where an MOT tester has noted as an 'advisory' on the Pass Certificate that different widths of tyres are fitted on the same axle!

UK law on tyres is shockigly poor : CoC (what's that ??) clearly states what tyres the vehicle was homologated with & should only be fitted , unless you have an approved derrogation with the approptiate paperwork, bur when the official gov.uk website is soo vague, then, basically you can use anything, & hence that's what happens.

Considering that the friction between tyre & road surface is the only thing that allows you to go, stop & corner, without talking of noise, fuel consumption, speedometer accuracy, general vehicle handling & safe load carrying capacity etc, It really is about time that more importance was placed on fitting the correct ones & not the cheapest rubbish that most people fit.

Actually, the friction between the tye & rim is also quite important if you want to be pedantic !!

Back