K & N Air Filter

driver8013

A2OC Donor
Audi A2 1.4 TDI (75bhp) Yellow (Colour Storm)......I love the colour too..
Does anybody know where i can purchase a K & N Air Filter for my little A2, and are they easy to fit?
Phil (Wigan)

Last edited:
You're not a million miles from the UK distributor (Warrington) but you'd probably be better off sourcing one from Ebay (they're around £43).

Not that tricky to fit, but you do need to remove the undertray entirely. As you're not far from me, I can do the fitting (as well as a host of other services too) if you like.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the reply, i'll check Ebay. I found out about the undertray this week, had a noise on the o/s front, turned out to be the the plastic cover over the drive shaft, couldn't be tightened up so i've taken it off.

I got mine off ebay, £37 delivered they had a make an offer on the item went in cheeky but got it in the end for £30 +p&p , i think it was up for buy now £40 so good price

Cheers Phil

Is there any way to fit the air filter without getting under the car and taking off the undertray? Could someone post a fitting guide? I've got a new K&N air filter, (and a new MAF) on order so will be looking to fit shortly.

No, the only way is to remove the noise insulation and the cover cap on the air filter housing, as you said.

Pair of axel stands is highly recommended for complete safety whilst you are under there too!

CHeers,

Mike

To access the undertray and fit my K&N I didn't even bother with my axle stands and jack - I made a ramp for each front wheel out of a couple of breezeblocks and chunks of wood and drove the car up on them - made sure they were totally safe before sticking my head under, of course...:) Gave me enough room to access the torx screws and air filter. Once you're under and have a poke about and see where everything is it's all fairly straightforward. Took half an hour from start to finish...

Jon

Got mine off ebay - arrived last night - it's a much bigger filter than I was expecting!

Is there any way to fit the air filter without getting under the car and taking off the undertray? Could someone post a fitting guide? I've got a new K&N air filter, (and a new MAF) on order so will be looking to fit shortly.

This link contains a guide on how to fit a K&N filter. It was supplied to me by spike earlier this year and I found it very helpful:

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58147

I found this job pretty easy. As everyone else says, safety first and all that.

Fitted mine yesterday. 28 mins start to finish!;) Don't forget to put the stickie on!

Neil

And where is the fuel filter? Easy to change? Thanks.

Last edited:
Did mine yesterday too - took about 30mins start to finish - forgot the sticker though :rolleyes:

This will amuse though - look what was in the bottom of the airbox: :eek:

Also, check out the state of the old OE filter - it looks to me like that's not been replaced since the car was new over its 84k miles - that's one filthy filter.

I was surprised at how big the filter is - the car must be flowing quite a lot of air?

Attachments

• 20022009361.jpg
    20022009361.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 374
That's about right for a 2-3 year old filter tbh - what is the straight brown thing in the bottom of the filter?

Cheers

Mike

Just a comment on the recent K & N filter change.....

The car was a hesitating a little (just a blip/moment) when I put my foot down to accelerate on sliproads. Strange I thought as a full service was done in July08 and the MAF was changed in Sept08 (ever tried driving a TDI when your MAF has failed? Slow doesn't yet near). So I went for the air filter and thought I would change to a K & N one as I intend to hold on to the car for sometime or until my sister steals it from me! The old air filter was pretty clean and none of the debris that danb had acquired. Today was the first opportunity to put my foot down. No blip just acceleration, fantastic. Difficult to say whether it was just the filter but I'm smiling.....

Where is that number for Stealth........?

My car is definitely pulling harder now I've changed both the MAF (was suspect on full load) and the filter for the K&N. Very pleased.

Mike - the brown thing is indeed a cigarette butt! Amazing what gets hoovered up eh, thank goodness for air filters. I once found a dead wasp emeshed in an air filter after a change!

Anyone else notice they can hear the turbo sucking in air more with the K&N filter, especially when it spools up to full boost you can hear it singing to itself more now?

Yes. I noticed that Dan. I thought it was due to the Stealth remap, but youre right; it could well be the air filter.

Will be fitting my K&N hopefully this weekend :D

Dan, I have the same Halfords mini tool kit as you! :D

Back