best performance mod

hi black pearl the parts come to about £33 that is for the spoiler(black bit)and the alloy exhaust cover.

Thats quite an improvement, low cost easy & fit. Do you know how much the front wheel spoilers are? or are they included in the £33

How did I miss this one!

The underfloor spoilers look like a no brainer upgrade! Please could someone post the part numbers, since I know the Audi dealer will give me that quizical WTF look when I go and try to describe the parts to him!! :D (front spoilers as well please, since my 1.4TDI SE doesn't have these either, I think?)

Cheers,

David

the centre spoiler part number is above, the front wheel spoilers are 8z0 853 888 A and B. Should be obvious which of the plastic bits are needed.

EDIT: part number correction:

1 x 8Z0 853 887 A Spoiler 3.00 €
1 x 8Z0 853 888 A Spoiler 3.00 €
6 x N 906 513 02 Schraube 9.60 €
4 x 8Z0 807 300 Spreizniet 1.60 €

there's also 8Z0 825 229.

Bret

Last edited:
Are these underfloor parts easy to fit to non-1.2TDi cars? If it's a no-brainer this sounds good...

David perhaps when you get to fitting them you could take photos and do a fitting guide for the benefit of the forum?

Dan, the front arch spoilers are a doddle requiring only the removal of a few T25 screws and then replacing them once the spoiler is in (a couple of additional split rivets are needed too).

The ally panels can be self fitted too with the car on axel stands, but the central underbody spoiler really needs the car to be up on a ramp and then you'll need a right angled drill to get into the confined space.

Cheers,

Mike

Has anyone in the UK done a cog change on the 5th gear?
If these prices can be matched in the UK (group buy, and a decent mechanic?) I'd say I'd be interested in that. I've always thought the 5th gear ratio wasn't quite right for the TDi - if it can be changed to make it more efficient and quieter that would be fantastic. I'm re-mapped too so the longer gear would still be responsive in top.

I'm on 215/17s but I like the handling and the looks! Perhaps with a taller top gear, and the 3L undertray that'll be a good compromise!

yes, pick a set of cogs. 0.64 is very doable. There's threads on that, too, and the price isn't very high either. You won't get it down to 1500rpm, though, without going six-speed IMO.

That's this thread: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=23805 - and I'll translate one of the last posts:

"31/48 for 0,645. Under 45mph now no longer possible in fifth. 1400U = ca. 50mph, and this is find. Mine is unchipped. At 105 (tacho, ca. 60mph), he now has exactly 2k on the tachometer. No real change in "pull", slightly lower consumption to be expected."
The cogs came from Rosenkranz, €160, and the fitting was €122 incl. new oil.

Skinny tyres alone do little. Light wheels *and* eco tyres will make the real, noticeable difference, especially in comparison to the petrol-eating 17s. My difference between 185 winters and 215 summers is a full 0.7l/100, so €1 per 60 miles.

Bret

yeah, andré then already posted most of the relevant pics here.

dan: come over for the winter stuff, get the 'box done on the way here in Altona (Hamburg) and test it on the way home :D

Bret

i would certainly be interested in the group buy Dan. like you looking for less noise when on the m/way and with a re-map should be capable of coping with a higher gearing anyway.

Perhaps if someone's headed over for the winter driving programme they could bring back a job lot of 5th gear cogs? Who is going?

yeah, andré then already posted most of the relevant pics here.

dan: come over for the winter stuff, get the 'box done on the way here in Altona (Hamburg) and test it on the way home :D

Bret

Hi Bret
Nice idea - I'd love to, but can't! Perhaps someone else from the UK is going though? Would they be willing to act as cog courier?!

I just wanted to apologise to RhosJ the original poster for hijacking his post a little.

Thank you Brett for the spoiler part numbers.

Does anyone know what the cog swap parts are from, are they A2 Petrol? Polo? Lupo? A2 1.2tdi? I haven't looked yet on the German site yet, but are there any part numbers?

Nick

good point, if they can be sourced here it will make life easier for us. I am very interested in this and happy to 'guinea pig' it....... might lessen my desire for a '90'...... Does the suggested gearing raise 5th on a '75' higher than on a '90'?

I need to re-read the threads, I will take a look. Some combinations are original VAG cogs, others are special order.
The recommendation is always to change the oil at the same time.

Bret

Well I've gone and ordered the aero upgrade bits - the front lip spoilers, the tunnel cover and the under-body spoiler. My new mod mission is to improve the car's efficiency!
Wonder if anybody would be able to help me fit them - I don't have access to the required equipment to get under the car...

I'm extremely keen on the idea of the gearbox mod as well now. Is there enough interest to get a group buy together I wonder? How much mechanical skill/time/money is required to do a cog swap?

Dan, you're welcome to borrow my axel stands, trolley jack and the driveway if you pop over to Harrow :) I don't have an angled drill but the angled adapter shouldn't be difficult to source and I have a set of drill bits, torx bits ...etc should be enough to do the job.

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the aero mods Dan. Along with the cog swap i am aiming to get my A2 to an everyday 60+mpg rather than the @55 i currently manage. This without compromising performance and driving style. If this is incorporated into my current car depends on whetehr i can source a '90' with 'roof soon and in budget....... As you know I am interested in a group buy if the parts have to sourced abroad although I will be 'outsourcing' the work! If the cogs are VAG parts then its off to my local dealers ASAP!

Back