Adding Photos to Posts

timmus

A2OC Donor
For the benefit of those who wish to add photos to their posts but don't get on with computers particularly well, here is a simple guide that I've thrown together...

Adding Photos 1.jpg

Adding Photos 2.jpg

Adding Photos 3.jpg

Adding Photos 4.jpg

Adding Photos 5.jpg

Ok, so this was a bit rushed and there are some typos in the guide. Never mind.

When I say "Locate your photos here, then click the 'Save' button...", you need to navigate to the folder on your computer where you've saved your photos. When you transferred them from the digital camera, where did you put them on your hard drive?

Sorted! :D

Tom

Last edited:
You really meant me, didn't you, Tom? LOL! Hey, thanks lot for such a clear guide ... you're a Star! I've got no excuse now, have i?

David

You really meant me, didn't you, Tom? LOL! Hey, thanks lot for such a clear guide ... you're a Star! I've got no excuse now, have i?

Yeah, I can't deny that this wasn't specifically made for you, but hopefully it'll serve others too.
It was done partly for selfish reasons, though. As you say, you now have no excuse not to upload the photos we'd all like to see!

Tom

NO !!! It won't work! I tried, honest! I click on that first logo .... I go to "insert image" ..... I click "select files" ...... I go straight to my photos ...... I highlight the 3 photos I need ..... I click "open" .... they appear in the "insert image" box and that gives their size (4.14MB,4.36MB,4.58MB) To the right of each one is an Orange "!" When I put the mouse on this, it says "file is too large" I can't do anything from this point! Clicking on "upload file(s) does nothing. You just can't open anything, attach anything, insert anything! B***DY frustrating! The operating system is "Vista" ..... the operator is another matter! LOL! But am I laughing?

David

Resize your pictures, there are plenty of utilities to download and resize your images from the desktop. I have the resize option as a right click function.

Windows Picture Manager can compress and re-size images for you if required and that's a free install with Windows.
Or you could use any image editing programme, or a file compressing application like NX Powerlite.

Ah yes... once upon a time the forum software used to reduce images larger than 500kB. This adds an element of complication for those who aren't good friends with computers... :(

........ paint ... jpg? ...

Start button -> All programmes -> Accessories -> Paint

The windows 7 version of paint has the new god-awful toolbar thingy, so I can't give clearer written instructions on which menu entries to select. The older version of 'paint' was much more easy to use & describe. A video would be the best way to explain.

I searched for 'how to use paint to resize' on youtube and found these:

Older versions of paint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtjetKWntv8

Windows 7 paint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kETJzpEJeH4

Last edited:
Reducing File Size

Here's how to reduce the file size using Microsoft Paint - an application that's installed on almost every Windows computer.

First, find the photo you wish to reduce in size. Right-click on it and, from the menu, select that you wish to open it with Paint.
Reducing File Size 1.jpg

Your photo will open in Paint. From the menu at the top of the application, click Image and then Stretch/Skew...
Reducing File Size 2.jpg

The 'Stretch and Skew' pop-up box will appear. Enter '40%' in the top two boxes and then click 'OK'.
Reducing File Size 3.jpg

You'll see that your picture is now much smaller. From the menu at the top, click File and then Save As...
Reducing File Size 4.jpg

The 'Save As' pop-up box will appear.
  • Make sure you're saving it to the correct place on your computer's drive.
  • Also make sure you're saving it as a JPEG
  • Add the word 'Reduced' at the end of the file's name. This ensures that you do not overwrite your original photo but instead create a smaller version for uploading to the A2OC.
Reducing File Size 5.jpg

Close Paint. You'll now have two copies of the photograph: one high-resolution original from your camera, and a smaller 'reduced' version for upload to the forum.
Reducing File Size 6.jpg

Now follow the original guide in the first post of this thread, ensuring that you choose to upload the new 'reduced' file.

Cheers,

Tom

I wouldn't bother with paint, this little utility installs into the windows shell so you can just select images and right click and there is a resize option on the menu. I use it all the time and saves hours messing around resizing images within apps.

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

I wouldn't bother with paint, this little utility installs into the windows shell so you can just select images and right click and there is a resize option on the menu. I use it all the time and saves hours messing around resizing images within apps.

That's a nice little shell extension, Craig - I may well have a play with that myself.
But, that requires David to install additional software. He also may not have the .NET framework installed. For someone whose computer skills haven't reached using Paint, that may be a step too far.

Tom

Last edited:
What a great little plug in Craig, thanks for the link. That sure beats firing up Photoshop every time I want to resize something!

I have successfully installed that utility so kindly provided by "craigyb" I wish to create a shortcut .... I see that there is a facility "add to quick launch area" .... is that it? Otherwise, your help, please?

David

Nice one David.
The Quick Launch Area in Windows is the part of the task bar (the bit that shows you what program you're running) that sits next to the Start Button. There is an option to add small icons/ shortcuts into that area so that you can start the program directly without having to go first through the Start Menu - so yes you can do that.

However, I think the way that application works is that it comes up in the context menu when you click on the image you wish to alter - the context menu is what pops up when you click on something with the right mouse button not the left.

Awesome - well done, David.

Having not had a play with the shell extension yet, can someone tell me whether it overwrites the original file?

Cheers,

Tom

You have options to overwrite, make a copy, template sizes and custom sizes and it remembers these settings.

Awesome, thanks Craig.

David... make sure you look at these options such that you don't overwrite your high-resolution original photos with a smaller file. You're looking to create another version of the photo that's able to be uploaded to the forum.

Cheers,

Tom

In Windows XP or 7 the easiest way to resize an image without doing anything special is to use Outlook(if installed)/Outlook Express (windows XP) or Windows Live Mail (www.live.com).
Right click on the image you want to use and select "send to" ->"Mail recipient" and a pop-up box will appear and offer you the choice to "Attach Files" and then show several size options.
The options "small" or "medium" produce attachments on a blank email that are perfectly sized for use here.
Then copy the images to the desktop and upload!

I hope this helps!

John

Back