New Smart Forfour vs A2

alanm

A2OC Donor
From what info is available online, the external dimensions of the new Smart Forfour are the same as the A2 and mpg virtually identical. If the internals, especially space-wise, and build quality are 'up to snuff' I might forgive its pop-out rear passenger windows and consider it as an A2 replacement, especially with the dual clutch transmission option. I think the heat and humidity must be getting to me to think such heresy!

Last edited:
From what info is available online, the external dimensions of the new Smart Forfour are the same as the A2 and mpg virtually identical. If the internals, especially space-wise, and build quality are 'up to snuff' I might forgive its pop-out rear passenger windows and consider it as an A2 replacement, especially with the dual clutch transmission option. I think the heat and humidity must be getting to me to think such heresy!

Are they relaunching the ForFour then?

I had one of the last FourFour Brabus cars and it was OK but nothing like as good as the A2.
Fast YES!!!
Larger than the A2 A little,
but it was not a "real" Smart car, it was a Japanese car with a Smart badge on it.

It didn't have the quirky Smart bits at all, it really was just a "normal car" with a Smart badge on it.

If they really have re-launched it and it is a REAL Smart this time then it might be work a look.

Do you have a link to any pictures etc.?

Steve B

Just found it and unfortunately it is a Micra with a Smart badge on it.

Why do they do that? Smart cars are fun and VERY quirky, I loved my Roadster and forTwo, they have character as does the A2.

But a Nissan Micra with a badge (it does look pretty though but NOT a Smart car)

At least it looks like it will only be sold in the US (thankfully)

Steve B

Based on the Renault Twingo I believe. Is the Micra based on the Twingo too? I guess it probably is. Being all part of the Renault family.

I watched the launch and I'm not really that taken with the forFour. I did like the old one though. Esp. the Brabus.

Chris

Based on the Renault Twingo I believe. Is the Micra based on the Twingo too? I guess it probably is. Being all part of the Renault family.

I watched the launch and I'm not really that taken with the forFour. I did like the old one though. Esp. the Brabus.

Chris

I think I was looking at an out of date article, but if it is based on the Twingo or Micra then it will be another "normal car" with a badge on it!

I would LOVE to see a genuine Smart forFour built as a Smart.

Steve B

I think I was looking at an out of date article, but if it is based on the Twingo or Micra then it will be another "normal car" with a badge on it!

I would LOVE to see a genuine Smart forFour built as a Smart.

Steve B

True. But unfortunately, platform sharing is the only economical way of making affordable cars for small brands like smart. I think. When I say small, maybe I mean niche? You know what I mean.

Chris

Platform-shared with the next Twingo, which makes it quirkily rear-engined, with a choice of three petrol engines (no diesel yet, it seems), a manual or dual clutch 'box, and weighing in at 3.5 metres, so a touch shorter than an A2. I'd be very surprised if the next Micra was rear-engined. Disappointingly, smart have confirmed that there are no plans for a new Roadster. More smart pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152385783934865.1073741832.344499494864&type=3

Platform-shared with the next Twingo, which makes it quirkily rear-engined, with a choice of three petrol engines (no diesel yet, it seems), a manual or dual clutch 'box, and weighing in at 3.5 metres, so a touch shorter than an A2. I'd be very surprised if the next Micra was rear-engined. Disappointingly, smart have confirmed that there are no plans for a new Roadster. More smart pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152385783934865.1073741832.344499494864&type=3

Hi,

Thanks for that link.

It actually does look quirky and might live up to the Smart design styling.

Nice one.

Steve B

There are no plans for a new A2 in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

In respect of the new Forfour I am surprised at the lack of knowledge about this given it has been trailed in the motoring press and t'internet for long enough. Just looking on Autocar website for one will bring up plenty of info about the Twingo/Fortwo/Forfour tie-up.

The new ForFour is a real Smart development.
The Twingo is a Smart, to make a long story short.
They are part of a large synergy between Daimler and Renault. For instance, Renault diesel engines in the A, B, C class .
Or the Mercedes version of the Kangoo (I don't know if you have that "thing" in the UK) ...

The ForFour is a shorter car than the A2.
Maybe with its rear engine platform, the inner space are similar ? (I doubt for the boot volume)

fbi - useable boot space might be v similar as there is no wheel arch intrusion in the case of the Smart ForFour. Am sure the rear seats won't be removeable but for me that's no big deal as I've only had the rear seats out of my A2 twice in my 7 years of ownership.

HI,

I really did enjoy the Smarts I have owned and probably only stopped because there was no TRUE Smart 4 seater.
The Brabus ForFour was a hoot but it was just another hot saloon.

This latest ForFour really does look like a proper Smart (and therefore VERY quirky) so I might go and have a look when they are launched.
I don't have the space (or the money) for another car and I certainly won't be getting rid of an A2 for one, but I just love quirky cars!!!

STeve B

The ForFour will have to be bloody good 'in the flesh' for me to get one. Only then would I sell my beloved A2, on which I've spent loads. I must get round to using the still in the box Audi roof bars and the OEM Audi detachable tow bar - just in case!

Sad to hear there is no new A2 in the pipeline - if there were, I wouldn't think of adding a ForFour to my current Smart ('forowt') that I've owned since new in 2002 and 70,000+ well smiley miles.

as much as i like the fortwo i have to say that the new forfour looks cheaply built and dont think it will stand the test of time! personally i would rather have a semi-auto fortwo than the forfour :) i wonder what the ride will be like? ....another bone rattler by the looks of it :D

cammy

I agree, cammy
Personally, I think that some cars shouldn't have a 4 doors variant. The aforementioned Smart, the Audi A1, the new Mini (yuk !!), ...
Some others, like the Golf, aren't much affected visually by the 2 added doors.

I believe that the reason for not replacing the A2 is that it was not possible to improve it! Of course that is my totally unbiased opinion... :D

I believe that the reason for not replacing the A2 is that it was not possible to improve it! Of course that is my totally unbiased opinion... :D

I agree.

The other problem that I think that Audi have is that a true A2 would be difficult to "fit" between an A1 and an A3 (logically)

I am not so sure that there is such a clearly defined gap between those two models.

The A1 is small (mine certainly felt smaller than the A2 inside) and the A3 is hardly much bigger than the A2 inside.

So I would fear that all it would do is to rob sales from the A1 and A3.

I also can't see me liking a new A2 any more than the A2 we know and love (As I have said I built my own new A2 rather than take a chance on the new A2 being as good as the old one, if it ever surfaces)

Steve B

Last edited:
I find some of the above comments incomprehensible. To quote "I like the fortwo but have to say the forfour looks cheaply built....'. The new Forfour is simply a LWB version of the new fortwo......!!!! So are you saying all variants of the Smart look cheaply built? And as for a new A2 fitting between the A1 and A3, Birchall have you not looked at the older A3's for space comparisons? The A2 was always a tardis inside compared with the older A3's but it didn't exactly lead to buyers flocking to the A2 did it? If you do your research it is Audi have made it very clear they no longer have short or even medium term plans for a replacement A2.

Back