BBC confirm - Chris Evans to be new Top Gear presenter

Dal

A2OC Donor
TV and radio presenter Chris Evans will be the new Top Gear presenter, the BBC has announced.
Evans said he was "thrilled" to get the job, describing the motoring show as his "favourite programme of all time".
"I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward," he added.
He will replace Jeremy Clarkson, who was dropped after punching a producer while on location.
Evans, a car enthusiast, has signed a three-year deal to lead an all-new Top Gear line-up.The BBC's David Sillito said the new line-up meant Clarkson's co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May would not be involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464

Hopefully a nice fresh start with the 3 idiots gone.

Last edited:
Wow I was only looking at the teaser for one off special today which now looks like it will be the last show with all 3 of them on not just the end of clarkson

Phil

I think he'll be good. I enjoyed the TFI Friday special last week. He's got energy and is a bit different - with the right co-presenters it should be pretty good. And, of course, he's a complete car nut!

I really hope the silliness stops and the heavily scripted cringe worthy palaver is replaced with some humour but real car focused content.

If I have to fast forward through endless car conkers and caravan explosions I'll just stop watching/recording it. And having watched Top Gear all these years from when it was shown on a Thursday night back in the day, I still really want to like it.

Clarkson is a disingenuous and divisive provocateur, but he has talent. I'm not entirely sure the other two have much talent...

So, a clean slate, at last. Evans is a talent, and is definitely on form these last few years. Jason Plato was on TFI wasn't he,.. I wonder if he's set to fill the new Stig type role on Top Gear? I'm not a massive fan of his TBH. Maybe Suzi Perry too will be asked (again) to join Top Gear?

Wouldn't it be great if they recruited Chris Harris to the show? Now he's not tied up with Drive.

Why not John Bishop, Michael Macintyre and Lee Evans?

The car talk might be rubbish but the humour would be ok.

Top Gear was fast becoming a sit com, but the cars made it watchable.

Steve B

I do believe that Jeremy Clarkson wrote most of the dialogue on Top Gear which, in parts, made it quite amusing. Without that "banter" it just becomes another "fifth gear" or "driven" which to be honest I find a tad bit boring. Quentin Wilson and Jodie kidd tried a bit of "top gear" banter recently on their classic car show and it was excruciatingly orrible. Still liked the cars though !. I also enjoyed TFI Friday and believe that Chris Evans will do his best to make the new show work. He will however need a good script writer and co hosts with a bit of character.
Ta
Dave
:)

Last edited:
Well, as Evans declared on The One Show tonight, there will be auditions for new presenters, and ANYONE will be able to apply. All you need is enthusiasm for, and a little bit of knowledge about cars. There was no indication of the numbers of potential presenters, but it blows the guessing game wide open. They might end up with someone already well known, and that bloke from down the road who's always building cars...

Well, as Evans declared on The One Show tonight, there will be auditions for new presenters, and ANYONE will be able to apply. All you need is enthusiasm for, and a little bit of knowledge about cars. There was no indication of the numbers of potential presenters, but it blows the guessing game wide open. They might end up with someone already well known, and that bloke from down the road who's always building cars...

I would be tempted to apply (as a "bloke from down the road......"), I have over 40 years of modifying and racing cars, I have a (perhaps dreadful) sense of humour, but I guess that there would be thousands of people that would want to be part of that programme. And I wouldn't want to leave this great club !!!! ;)

Steve B

Reactions: Dal
I think its a great result Chris Evans being part of the new TG. I loved it before but think Chris Evans will bring something new that is much needed. Chris Harris would be great to see on it, I think he'd transfer very well to tv as he has plenty of banter and passion. Next would be Suzi Perry, because she's Suzi Perry!

I would be tempted to apply (as a "bloke from down the road......"), I have over 40 years of modifying and racing cars, I have a (perhaps dreadful) sense of humour, but I guess that there would be thousands of people that would want to be part of that programme. And I wouldn't want to leave this great club !!!! ;)

Steve B

Yes Steve you also share a same interest as Chris Evans in that you both like painting nice cars white --- tongue firmly fixed in my cheek mike

BBC Three showed the TG with mr Evans in the reasonably priced car on Friday. Quite an interesting choice to broadcast given recent event. I think he'll make a good presenter, but he needs good backup too.

BBC Three showed the TG with mr Evans in the reasonably priced car on Friday. Quite an interesting choice to broadcast given recent event. I think he'll make a good presenter, but he needs good backup too.

I may be wrong but I am sure I sure one episode of TG where Chris Evans let "Captain Sensible" take a VERY VERY expensive Ferrari of Chris Evans for a drive.

That says three things to me
1, Chris Evans has some GREAT cars in his collection and he loves them.
2, He could have said no when asked if this amazing Ferrari could be driven, so he can't be that bad.
3, He has FAR too much money.

Steve B

Just tweeted by CE:

Chris Evans ‏@achrisevans 8s8 seconds ago
TFi Friday is indeed coming back for a short but perfectly formed run of eight shows pre Christmas. Tx dates soon .Plus audience information

Looks like he's going to be a busy bunny.

tg_-line-up_maincloser_af1.jpg

We are very proud to announce that racing driver Sabine Schmitz, YouTube star Chris Harris, F1 pundit Eddie Jordan and motoring journalist Rory Reid will join Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc and of course, The Stig, when the show returns in May.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/meet-your-new-top-gear-presenters

Chris Harris ;)

Everyone else :(

Everyone else a "no"?

You are kidding me?
Sabine is a real petrol head and she is the best in that lineup.
She would beat the rest if them in any race (depending on who the Stig is, probably him too)

She is an out and out brilliant choice.

Steve B

That maybe true but she ain't no presenter.

If it's Harris and Sabine doing the track work then granted, that may work well. The rest are fodder IMO.

Back