Are the prices of our a2's finally rising?

Jeffers66

A2OC Donor
Just browsing German Ebay last night and was surprised at some of the prices over there, with more spec choice more freely available than the uk like heated seats, winter packs and Bose, you'd assume the prices would be lower, hopefully for us enthusiasts it's finally turning a corner and we'll really be holding little treasures!!
Even the basic of colourstorms is fetching nearly £5000!
Happy motoring!!
http://m.ebay.de/itm/Audi-A2-1-4-TD...%3Af0f4ddfb1540a6a4a657faa0ffffde64%7Ciid%3A1
Cheers Jeff

I thought it was subtle. Ha ha

James

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I think a year or two ago the A2 was holding its prices well, but not so much recently in the UK. I do believe after the maybe 5 years they might start going up for good examples. I think it needs to get to the point only enthusiasts want to buy them and numbers of cars are less for this to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No,
they always have been more expensive Abroad.
Always had an active interest for an A2 1.2 and for anything decent its around 6-7000 Euros.

It's all relative, I'm keeping mine forever so it makes no difference to me what it's worth. There are a lot of used and abused examples around at the moment and when they die off then yes prices may go up.

Second this comment.

My brother in law is German, and they just don't seem to change their cars that often. Or perhaps it's something else, but the car market does not seem to have such a high turnover as us here in the UK. Maybe someone with a good knowledge of the German market could confirm/deny this?

He wishes he could buy cheap secondhand like us, but ends up buying new and keeping it a long time. Not sure it's that cost effective, but he's been bitten by a used car before, and just doesn't trust their reliability. I've turned up at his place with cars that cost me less than £2k and have been very reliable as well as German made, so that hasn't gone down well!!

No,
Always had an active interest for an A2 1.2 and for anything decent its around 6-7000 Euros.

No,

+1 on this. Back when I was originally looking for an A2, I looked into importing a 1.2L, and found exactly this ... the secondhand prices are eye wateringly expensive on the continent.

Yeah, i'm always amazed at how low your prices are in the UK, for used cars. If you didn't have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car, I would import one from the UK. Also, cars in Germany are generally cheaper than Swedish cars.

Yeah, i'm always amazed at how low your prices are in the UK, for used cars. If you didn't have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car, I would import one from the UK. Also, cars in Germany are generally cheaper than Swedish cars.

Swedish cars should be more expensive - they're better made. I admire my wife's A2, but I couldn't fix it when it was really sick. My Saab 9000 and Volvo (old) V90 are beautifully engineered and the electrics hardly ever go wrong. Compare that to worn out switchgear, ropey FSI engines and dodgy 'comfort units' and the Swedes win hands down... But they just can't design a bodyshell as clever as the A2 - not even Audi can - the A1 is just a cheap imitation of the A2!

Yeah, the SAABs were pretty nice cars. Still lots of them rolling around on the swedish roads. Volvo has made quite a nice transition from being an every mans cars, to become a premium car manufacturer. But this doesn't really regard our A2s.
I did however realize that all nordic cars are a little higher speced than the UK cars. We all have winter pack, since the weather is quite cold during the winter. But that shouldn't really affect the price that much. Of course, we could always compare to Denmark or Norway where you pay A LOT of tax when you buy a car, compared to Sweden.

It's not difficult to calculate new car price in Norway, just double it's price in Germany, you can't miss much.
Cars are taxed on HPs, engine volume, car weight, year-model, god knows what.
Always thought that high import taxes were ment to protect domestic car industry, but I was wrong.

As Darko says re Norway you have to factor in the tax regime. When I lived in Denmark many moons ago the taxes basically doubled the price of the car from the dealer ex-tax price. So you had silly games whereby a new car came without a radio but you couldn't buy a car without a radio being fitted by the dealer. The radio cost an arm and a leg but didn't attract the heavy taxes on new vehicles. It was a trick to keep the base price as low as possible.

When I left Denmark I had trouble selling my 2 year old car privately and went cap in hand to the dealer I bought it from. He took it in part exchange for another car of the same model and gave me a big cheque for my custom! How come? My new car was ex taxes as I was going to export it but the trade in price on the old car reflected the high taxes I had originally paid (I used the cheque to pay off the bank loan for the car and pay the UK customs import duty). After some years in the UK I converted the car to RHD over a week end and was able to sell it at normal price.

No doubt if anyone buys a 2nd hand car abroad they need to pay taxes on importing it.

Last edited:
that depends where you are. NL used to have high taxes, now they're not so bad. Germany never had any. Sweden has lower than either here, Norway or Denmark.

German used A2 prices are higher because people know what they are, they're easy to look after and simple to run and it always was a premium vehicle. Believe it or not, the depreciation on mine is such that I might have bought it at €14k, but I'm sure I'd be looking at €4k for a German sale now in sound mechanical condition, and without the minor scrapes and "issues". That's less than €750 a year... which is pretty impressive.

If I wanted to import at €15k Audi here, I'm paying tax based on what customs says it's worth, and on a 2.0Tfsiq, that's €8k. On a nearly-new Focus ST TDCI, that's €5k. But the German prices are nice, yes. I don't expect UK prices to reflect them, though.

- Bret

When it comes to used cars, it's wise to compare the German import total price to local market price. Good thing is that our tax authorities have a car import calculator on their site, so anyone can do the math.

A used A2 1.6FSI imported from Germany (or EU) for €4000, generates €2800 in taxes, add a year road toll and registration, the total would be close to €7000.
That's €1500-2000 more than an A2 1.6FSI goes for here.

There is no online calculator for the UK (the government web page https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty says call a help line) but it does say there is no VAT to pay if:

If you’re importing a second-hand vehicle, you won’t have to pay VAT if all the following apply:
- VAT has already been paid in any EU country including the UK
- the vehicle has been in use for more than 6 months
- the vehicle has done more that 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)

No mention about the rules for duty.

PS This site has a duty calculator but the A2 is not listed! https://www.shipmycar.co.uk/2011/01/how-much-import-duty-will-i-pay/ but it say that for vehicles built in the EU then the import duty is a fixed £50 (+vat)

Back