sorry but im still confused about keys haha.

so, ive written off the idea of getting a whole new key-software needed is too expensive and so is the part (i could only find the blade for 59.99). but i would like to get a new remote half (39.99), can i replace just that? and can i program that with VCDS without needing my SKC? also, which part of the key has the clip which holds the two parts together? mine is broken so it always comes in half. would be nice if i could take the leccy tape off it.

and, if i did end up getting a new blade because i find it cheaper or my budget increases, could i not very carefully just swap the immobiliser chip over and avoid all the hassle anyway?

Last edited:
Are you just wanting to freshen up your keys?

If so I just bought new cases with buttons and transferred over the key blade, remote board and chip took a couple of minutes no hassle of recoding anything and only costs a couple of £'s and you have fresh new keys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers , yeah I have had a look around, from what I have read on my particular part number, it seems to be the least compatible of the bunch, I believe I need a direct replacement for both and they are relatively obscure. I guess less so for the remote half, due to the more reasonable price.

cant send a pic right now but my part number is

8Z0 837 231 / 3X5029

most of the ones on ebay etc are 8Z0 837 231D

i can only find reference to 8Z0 837 231 / 355029

cant find where i wrote my CCCU part number.. ill be down in the footwell sunday wiring an amp anyway.

Last edited:
Is yours a 3 button remote? If so that style are all the same apart from some need a different battery which is no big problem or least it has been in my experience and I have always done this on my last 8 Audi and VW sets of keys with no problem

Yes, it has lock, unlock, and boot open.

Ok cheers for the advice, I will bite the bullet on the most reasonable looking (and return policied lol) 3 button remote and see what happens.

Buuuut, after examining the key further, the clip that holds the two halves together is definitely on the blade side so it will still fall apart :'( hahaha

Last edited:
You lost me, stick a quick pic up of both sides so we can see, I may even have some spares at home

sorry, ok will do when home, ill edit an imgur link into this reply.

edit: i looks on ebay and saw just the replacement case+buttons for a great price, how easy a job is it to just swap all the internals? dont fancy popping it open and have springs flying out and getting lost etc.

double edit, just found jonbad's guide. hell no. i will definitely cut some caps etc off my pcb.

Last edited:
every time i post the link it disappears... ? am i getting spam filtered?

It could be the swear word!!! There is automatic moderatoion set to block posts with sear words, for obvious reasons, even those that show up as *****.

Please could you avoid swear wprds in the post and that should help.

Thanks
Steve B

dont worry johnmed, me too. or at least i was. now im fairly certain i know what i need to do, just need to know which bits to buy.

i want completely replace the remote fob half of my key (as a complete unit), and swap over as much (casing) as i can from a new blade half without messing around with digging the transponder out. i would rather leave that bit worn than risk damaging my immo chip. the reason is that the clip is broken on my key so it is always coming into 2 pieces and im scared to lose half. also im sure a previous owner let their dog chew it.

will this be viable, and, if so, which part of the key are those part numbers for etc.

my cccu vag number is 8Z0 959 433 E.
key is 8Z0 837 231 / 3X5029 433.92 MHz

think thats relevant from prior reading.

yeah about that X... i thought i had an obscure part when i still thought it was /355, let alone /3X5.

i think i found one or two people asking about it but nobody seemed to have any answers.

Last edited:
yeah about that X... i thought i had an obscure part when i still thought it was /355, let alone /3X5.

i think i found one or two people asking about it but nobody seemed to have any answers.

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, the characters after the '/' in the part number are irrelevant - only the 8Z0 837 231 is important. As such, John Med's key on eBay is a suitable replacement.

Regards,

Matt.

Back