The Most Powerful A2 in the UK?

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, just had Tank fitted with Koni FSDs and Weitec springs, as well as a Milltek Stainless exhaust.

The work was carried out by the 'Backstreet Boys' at Stealth Racing (many thanks to Vince, Robin, John and Graham - stars every one of them) and then the acid test - a couple of power runs on their rolling road.

I won't tell you the exact power and torque figures, but suffice it to say that Tank is the most powerful and torquey A2 they have yet seen and the curves look very smooth indeed.

I'm happy to report that the FSDs are superb and I was actually looking for potholes and speed bumps on the way back from Southam.

A 140 miles run back home yesterday evening confirmed that the suspension set up is now pretty much perfect - cruising at 95mph feels so relaxed that it's easy to believe that your actual speed is a lot lower.

60 mph B roads are tackled with ease - everything is flat and smooth, yet firm and responsive so that you know exactly what is going on.

For those thinking of either a remap or suspension work, I can thoroughly recommend it - power and acceleration are far better than a standard A2 and the economy is pretty good as well - I averaged 49mpg yesterday, which for 95mph motorway driving is very repectable.

Thanks for all your work yesterday guys - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
I'm happy to report that the FSDs are superb and I was actually looking for potholes and speed bumps on the way back from Southam.

A 140 miles run back home yesterday evening confirmed that the suspension set up is now pretty much perfect - cruising at 95mph feels so relaxed that it's easy to believe that your actual speed is a lot lower.

60 mph B roads are tackled with ease - everything is flat and smooth, yet firm and responsive so that you know exactly what is going on.

Hi Skipton01,

nice to see that the recommended Weitec 30-30/FSD-Combo does work well. Finally, would you please measure the vertical distance between arch and wheel centre per axle?

Thanks in advance!

Schnelletrecker said:
Hi Skipton01,

nice to see that the recommended Weitec 30-30/FSD-Combo does work well. Finally, would you please measure the vertical distance between arch and wheel centre per axle?

Thanks in advance!
I'll get you the measurements shortly, but just to clarify, only the front springs are Weitec, the rears are standard Audi Sport (S-line) springs. I couldn't live with the amount of lowering that the H&Rs gave (supposedly -25mm on the front and rear), so at least for the time being, I've reverted to standard springs at the back.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey
Did you happen to see the most
beautiful A2 in the World ......:)

Now who sang that ???

Hey Mike not much left to fit on the A2 Now
how about the 6 speed gearbox next LOL !!!

wooly A2 said:
Hey Mike not much left to fit on the A2 Now
how about the 6 speed gearbox next LOL !!!
Next up will be the new front bumper and headlamp washers, in readiness for the MOT due in October.

I think the 6 speed box will not be going ahead now - there's no real benefit to be gained over changing the final drive to adjust all the existing ratios and this is something that Stealth Racing are already investigating.

Cheers,

Mike

Interesting that you've changed from the H&R combo, although I remember you saying that you were not 100% happy with them. Look forward to seeing some updated pics.

What's the plan with the front bumper - running lights?

I still need to sort my tints, then I'll be onto giving my interior some attention!

Hi mike

Glad you had a good time at stealth it was good to see you again.
what was the exhaust note like on the motorway?

(I won't tell you the exact power and torque figures, but suffice it to say that Tank is the most powerful and torquey A2 they have yet seen and the curves look very smooth indeed.)
Not for long vince is working on it carn't have mine in 2nd place it's just not right.:rolleyes:

It must be good a A2 driver looking for potholes!!

It sounds like the weitec work well with the FSDs and sports on the back.

Cheers
Robin

Hi Robin,

The exhaust note isn't significantly different to be honest - and with the Supaglass fitted, everything's quieter anyway!

The new suspension setup is superb and the car now feels so much more sophisticated - a bit like the setup of the TT I had, only more responsive.

Let's see what Vince can squeeze out of yours then, and meanwhile Awesome will be fettling Tank!

Cheers,

Mike

driveforward said:
Interesting that you've changed from the H&R combo...

Hmm, he would’ve been the first A2 driver liking the H&R springs – I assume worldwide. :rolleyes:

Check out further tips listed in the suspension thread...

Cheers

re: suspension upgrade

Hi again,
with reference to your suspension upgrade were the weitec springs softer than normal settings? How much for whole upgrade? regards, Michael

freeflags said:
Hi again,
with reference to your suspension upgrade were the weitec springs softer than normal settings? How much for whole upgrade? regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

The Weitec springs may or may not be 'softer' than the standard ones, but they are certainly better than the H&Rs they replace!

As for costs, Koni FSDs:£346, Weitec springs:£70, fitting:£210, total therefore £626, but the ride quality they offer is priceless!

Cheers,

Mike

freeflags said:
with reference to your suspension upgrade were the weitec springs softer than normal settings?

Definitely these 30 mm Weitec sport springs are not softer than stock Audi springs (non-sport). In fact there are no softer aftermarket springs available than the stock ones - which is wise for safety reasons.

So if you don't intend to lower your car you should keep the stock Audi springs and simply convert to the FSD dampers. You’ll gain a much improved ride feeling. Check out the Koni FSD thread...

Anyway it is recommendable to replace the Audi springs (be it sport or non-sport edition) by good aftermarket springs due to the low Audi (supplier) spring production quality. There are many examples of cracked front A2 stock springs (me included :mad: ), at least here in Germany. Have a look at the large Feder kaputt! – thread.

http://www.der-a2.de/vbtest/showthread.php?t=17553&highlight=Feder+kaputt!

http://www.online-translator.com/ur...&autotranslate=on&psubmit2.x=57&psubmit2.y=16

Above all a more progressive spring characteristic compared to the (sadly) very linearly tuned stock springs does correspond very well to our light vehicle if combined with appropriate sport dampers (or Koni FSD for best comfort). This is what Skipton01 now “experiences”.

More detailed explanations about successful suspension setups to be read in the suspension thread…

Last edited:
Skipton, Can you tell me more (much more) about the flat bottomed TT steering wheel conversion?

maersk said:
Skipton, Can you tell me more (much more) about the flat bottomed TT steering wheel conversion?
The wheel itself is a straight swap physically for the standard A2 wheel - the splined mount is exactly the same between the 2.

As for electrics, you need to install a new steering electric module, whilst keeping the old one fully wired and then splice the new one in partially, so that only certain parts are powered up - it's far too complex a job to describe here and requires disassembly of the instrument pod.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
it's far too complex a job to describe here and requires disassembly of the instrument pod.

Yar I can vouch for that having seen the two sets of wires/plugs that needed splicing. Luckily there was a guy here who saved the day! Thanks again Modfather! ;)

chucknaldo said:
Yar I can vouch for that having seen the two sets of wires/plugs that needed splicing. Luckily there was a guy here who saved the day! Thanks again Modfather! ;)
No worries Chuck - you should see my harness, with the multifunction enabled. It's a rats nest behind my airbag!

Cheers,

Mike

Where dd you source the s/w? Vag Parts?
Approx cost?
Is it multi function?
Is the rim thick ?

Only a few questions !!!!!!!

The wheel came from Hungary and it is MF, yes.

The rim is thick in places, thin in others.

Wheel and bag were £300.

Cheers,

Mike

robin said:
Hi mike

Glad you had a good time at stealth it was good to see you again.
what was the exhaust note like on the motorway?

(I won't tell you the exact power and torque figures, but suffice it to say that Tank is the most powerful and torquey A2 they have yet seen and the curves look very smooth indeed.)
Not for long vince is working on it carn't have mine in 2nd place it's just not right.:rolleyes:

It must be good a A2 driver looking for potholes!!

It sounds like the weitec work well with the FSDs and sports on the back.

Cheers
Robin
To bring this thread back round to the original topic, in case you haven't seen the post elsewhere, there is a competition running, the answer to which is the power output of Tank, so I can't quote it here (Robin, it's changed from the Stealth session!).

However, the torque figures can be quoted and they will give you an idea of just what a pokey little beggar he is now:

Standard Audi Map - 170ft-lbs (230Nm)
CCCTech map - 210 ft-lbs (285Nm)
Awesome custom map - 255ft-lbs (346Nm)

To put this into context, the A3 2litre TDi (140) puts out 237ft-lbs (320Nm) and even the Mk.2 TT 3.2litre V6 generating 244ft-lbs (329Nm) is just behind this figure!

Pretty remarkable, I'm sure you'll agree!

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Having just had mine custom re-mapped I'd be interested to know what other mods you've made to get that kind of figure!!?

Gwarn give is a hint!

Back