1.2Tdi 085 Gearbox basic setting affected by ambient temperature?

G

Guest 4123

The problem started when the starter motor refused to turn over which I eventually found out was due to the clutch needing adjustment! For the last two weeks or so I've been trying to carry out a basic setting on the gearbox, which includes adjusting the clutch. I would get to the point where Block 14, field 1 should change from SEARCHNG to IGN.OFF after about 15 secs, but it would not. No error codes would be generated in the process.

Eventually, yesterday after checking a query from Ross Tech, I attempted the same procedure again and at last it worked. I had made no changes since the last attempt but it was somewhat warmer yesterday than when the previous attempts were made. The only conclusion I can come to is that the ambient temperature is significant. Field 4 does show the transmission temperature. Or is it just a dodgy connection somewhere?

RAB

All is clear now, I think! The clutch finally seized up completely due to water ingress and so temperature probably did make a difference. When I bought the car the rubber plug on the top of the clutch housing was missing.

RAB

Hi Rab,

That's bad news for you.
Clutch plate etc should be reasonable, if not yet down to 'low order volume' VAG obsolete parts price hike grouping!

Please let us 1.2 TDI owners know how things go with repair.

Ciao,

Erling

Already done by Audi with a price to match! I took the car in, told them what the problem was and so they charged me 1.5 hrs labour and an hour of their own to come to the same conclusion. They condemned and ripped out my almost new clutch actuator (old one was leaking) and and I gave them the old one. After I collected the car and realised the new actuator was not in the car, I phoned them up and they rescued the new actuator from their skip. I have since re-installed it and of course it works perfectly!

The suprising thing was that all the clutch components were in stock in the UK.

I've cleared all the error codes that they generated looking for a non-existent electrical fault - 1.2Tdi's starter motors don't turn over if the clutch is faulty. After return, car would not start in P and would not go into gear in P. I've now returned it to full working order.

Glad to get it back in anything like working order. As they say in Germany - 1.2Tdi owners know more about their car than the local Audi garage. It's even more so in the UK!

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RAB,

Glad it's all sorted - even if you had to put right what they'd messed up on the actuator side of the system. At least you've beat the post election tax rises!

Audi garages have a bad habit of disposing of displaced parts - I always ask and then insist I get everything back, except little seals etc. They seem to think its because I don't trust them, rather than an engineer wanting to know how his car's going on!

Do you know what had failed on your old clutch - release system, cover diaphragm or plate?

Was it anything to do with the missing cover?

Ciao,

Erling

Erling,

It's more that they knew that the installed actuator was almost brand new and had only done about 5 miles. If it had failed, I would have returned it to VW Eastbourne (who incidentally are quite willing to sell me Audi parts, if I give them the part no. (and probably if I don't)) for a refund. I suspect most Audi customers aren't interested!

Seems as though the main problem was the shaft to which the actuating lever at the top is attached, probably caused by the missing cover. I had been having problems with the clutch since October last year.

RAB

Erling,

As you'll have guessed, I prefer VW Eastbourne to Audi Eastbourne - more proletarian (fractionally!) and they're less inclined to force 'free' coffee down your throat (payed for about 400x over during your last, current and/or next visit).

More usefully, I found this VW self-study program for the 085 gearbox a few weeks ago.
Study and digest. If you don't get a 100% mark at the end, return to the beginning and start again!!!!

http://upload.sky-high.dk/Diverse/Dokumenter/Lupo/ssp_221_en.pdf

RAB

Erling's 1.2 TDI woes

Hi RAB,
My car's with Stafford Audi who've carried out 4th Variable service plus investigated poor tiptronic hyd pressure retention and 'draggy' clutch on down changes.

They had to wait a week for Audi to respond on poss accumulator involvement and their inability to complete clutch/gearchange system calibration. Then fitted accumulator I'd ordered from them - system calibration could then be completed. Accumultor replacement covered by Audi extended warranty.
They report 'draggy' clutch on down change still persists and are now taking out gearbox on Audi recommendation to inspect clutch assy etc, etc. Still not got gearbox removed, despite a week passing by and Stafford Audi now say because clutch parts that may be required need factory back order they won't order on Audi until need 100% confirmed (claim factory back order parts not dealer returnable).

Having looked at the VAG self study course, it seems to me that a 'draggy' clutch on down changes could be down to slow or inadequate clutch lever movement and gearbox removal may not be needed.

I'll send them the VAG self study course!

I'll keep you posted on progress, or otherwise.

Ciao,

Erling

Hi Erling,

When I had my clutch done, remarkably all the clutch parts were already in the UK - they are only used on A2 1.2Tdi's, Lupo 3L's and Lupo 5L's (FSi), I think, all LHD. Strange that it's only on down changes - doesn't sound like the gearbox. I have a spare clutch actuator you can borrow if that's any use. Hope you don't have my problem - is the rubber moulding present on the top of the clutch housing?

RAB

Hi RAB,

Thanks for info and offer of clutch actuator loan.

Rubber cover has always been in place.

Afraid I'm at mercy of Stafford Audi who have my car, especially since I'm emailing from my South Wales home.

Will have to see what they make of VAG gearbox self study course (copied to them with my suggested possible clutch operation system causes) and awaited further formal Audi tech advice!

Ciao,

Erling

Erling,

The clutch actuator opens the clutch with hydraulic pressure and it is closed by the clutch springs and letting the fluid out of the actuator. So it's either a mechanical problem with the clutch or it could be that the hydraulic control unit is not allowing the fluid to escape from the clutch actuator quickly enough. Hope you still have warranty cover!

RAB

Erling,

If this only occurs on down shifts then it's probably neither of the above. I would have said solenoid 3 but you had this problem before you changed the gear actuator(?). Something to do with the control of solenoid 3?

RAB

Erling,

Out driving the A2 today, is it the engine 'rattling' just before it changes down, as if labouring? More noticeable when the engine is hot. If so, it's a 'feature' - you have to drive another 1.2Tdi to know it.

Otherwise could it be the same on up-shifts, only less noticeable? Then it could be the clutch or clutch control.

RAB

Clutch Change

RAB
What were you charged for a clutch change?

Audi Notts say it'll take 6 hrs and even at "reduced" rate thats a lot of dosh!

No clutch kit available so all items have to be ordered seperately.

Juddering noise is common on auto down changes in E mode.

Lukas,

Not much change out of a big one! About £200 for parts and the rest labour, including 1.5 hrs (+1 of their own) for confirming my diagnosis!

I was suprised when Audi told me that all the parts came straight from Milton Keynes. Presumably returned by an VAG garage?

RAB

I recall Dennis from DK who has changed many 3L and A2 1.2 Clutches telling me it was a big job and the guide horn must be changed. He has also helped NL 3L owners to convert to manual shift.

Best

Apart from the hydraulics, I don't see why it should be any more difficult than a manual. The thing that put me off doing it was all the special tools that you supposedly need. I remember replacing my clutch and repairing the gearbox of my 1946 MG TC (with syncromesh!) and the only special tool I needed was a dummy layshaft - turned up out of wood on my lathe!

RAB

Back