1.4 petrol future and 1.6FSI ecomony

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the dealer investigated our boot lock problem I collects a current A2 brochure (SWMBO wants to change it but i do not think we can justify it yet)

The January brochure includes the 1.4 Petrol and they didn't know that the web-site did not!

They also advised that the 1.6FSI would probably not make the mpg figure in the book, "You may be 1 or 2 mpg short of that figure"!!!!!!! - comments please.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Test conditions. I'm sure I read somewhere that many years ago, MPG tests were done on engine tests beds!

I think it then progressed onto actual cars on actual test tracks, but no doubt the days of testing were chosen carefully. No wind/rain, wing mirrors removed. Least amount of fuel and laden weight as possible.

I think car manufacturers are more honest these days, but I suspect the MPG tests are done under the very best conditions.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

1.6 FSI mileage...

Per Tank (Between fill ups)
Best 38.73MPG
Worst 31.15MPG
Average 34.30MPG

Overall from 11014 miles
33.27MPG

DIS
Not sure I've reset it a few times but it does show about the same(ish).

(I have to keep track for work, not an MPG anorak)

Only 2 tanks of less than 98 Octane have ever been through the car.

[14]Funny thing now is.. the DIS used to show the mileage countdown at 35 miles to empty there was about 2-3 litres left in the tank... now when it shows 35m to go (and even 0 the other day) it still had 6 litres left in it... Odd?

Cheers
Rod

RUNBOY.......maybe i can help here.
not sure about other manufacturers but i work 4 Nissan in Sunderland & can explain exactly how the performance/economy tests are performed.

Here goes,
firstly a car is randomly picked from the production line,then rear seats are completely removed, this is so that a metal bracket can be bolted to the rear floor & all the technical equipment can be fitted to this. then the particular car is subjected to a minimum of 82 hours continuous actual driving....only stopping for refuelling & changing drivers. the test consists of the following.
1. 10 hours constant 56mph, constant 5th gear.
2. 2 hours terrain/severe bumps
3. 40 hours simulated urban, this consists of driving around the 2.4 mile oval track with fixed points for changes in speed & gear ratio.
4. 30 hours constant 70 mph, constant 5th gear.

at the end of this the entire car is dismantled & information gathered by the onboard equipment compared against the results.

as i pointed out before.....im not sure about other manufacturers, although i know they use a similar system, but the figures obtained regarding fuel consumption are as acurate as they could possibly be.......i should know as i pass this info on to the technical dept who publish it....

by the way.......you would never see me driving a nissan when im not at work.....they have some of the worst fuel comsumption figures (apart from new micra) that i have ever seen.

hope this helps but i can asure you that they do not test cars on test beds anymore mate, its all done out on the tarmac now.

cheers Glenn/sunderland

PS: RUNBOY........they never take off door mirrors & whatever the weather is outside at that time then that is what the tests are conducted under.
i must admit the track is very well shielded from wind as you may have guessed but i dont think it will make a lot of difference from (normal) driving conditions mate.

What about the very large helium balloon attached to the roof of the car........does that help consumption figures.....

;)

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Glenn,

Just out of curiosity, what is the reaction from work colleagues and/or management when you roll into the car-park with your A2? I know the conformity of Japanese management...

YipYazoo

Back to the subject of this thread...

From what I understand, the main advantages of FSI is supposedly improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions in urban driving conditions. Otherwise, it's pretty conventional (e.g. driving on dual-carriageway).

A number of car magazine reviewers complain the FSI engines aren't as free-revving as the conventional fuel-injected engines. My guess it's because the Audi press vehicles they're using for evaluation are still "tight".

Rod, do you find this is the case? What was your milage like when you first got the car?

YipYazoo

YAZOO.......Nissan UK is now 49% owned by the French (Renault) so you can probably guess how many variants of car manufacturers there is in our staff car park now.

To be honest,two days after i took delivery of the A2 our MD asked if i would loan the design department it for one day & i had some extremely positive feedback from what they had seen. They even offered to re-cover my seats in grey leather if i would allow them to take them appart "sounds good to me" i said.

I have since taken pictures of leather in Audi dealers & agreed as long as they make job as good as original.

Hope this helps Yaz.

Glenn.

Hey Yaz

Re the tightness... the fsi engine does seem to have a turbo lag type effect from low revs that is really offputting and this makes the engine seem to be slow revving... but keep the revs up and its fine.

Over 12000mi the engine always has seemed to be quite free revving probably more so now... but you do need to be in the right gear and rev range to really notice it.

Fuel economy has got worse over the 12k from an average of 35mpg to 33mpg. Total overall average is 33.23 (1723.60Litres & 12600miles)
Consumption is probabaly worse now more due to lots of commute miles instead of heaps of motorway miles I did when I first got it... Its also gets run pretty hard pretty much all the time - too much like a gokart to not drive it like that :)

Cheers
Rod

Glenn and Rod;

Thanks for the feedback.

As to ownership of Nissan, doh! I forgot that was the case, so of course there would be a myriad of kit driving around.

Rod, I suppose it's the ECU switching from "economy" to "conventional" which seems to be causing the "lag" effect you mentioned. If this is the case, I expect some German and/or British tuning company to offer a "chip" service for this, soon.

Cheers!

YipYazoo

I got 292 miles out of one tank today! Climate on all the way. Anyone done beter. Theres got to be someone

Neil Howells
A2 1.4 SE - Atlantic Blue
Symphony Radio, Electronic A/C

Hi Yaz

It is the ECU switching... seems the engine brain decides on how you are driving... I usually only get caught out now If I have been following traffic and normal speeds etc and then try whip into traffic at a roundabout etc.

Would be nice to get it chipped... even an extra 10-20bhp would make an amazing difference.

As for miles out of a tank, my best is 324 although I average 270ish.

Cheers
Rod

I've just had my 1.6 FSI for a few weeks, so I haven't got any good numbers on MPG. However, I do have a question regarding the sound of the engine. Mine sounds very similar to a diesel when startng and running. Is this normal?

Boo,

I believe it is a characteristic of the FSI engine.

From what I understand, the FSI engine uses the same principle as the "Pumpe Duse" TDi diesel engine, in that fuel is injected into the combustion chamber in very precise measures, and at higher pressures. Thus more economical during urban driving and less polluting.

If you get the opportunity, pick up the February (or March) issue of 'Audi Driver' which has an article on the FSI family of engines. You can usually find it any of the larger WHSmith stores.

YipYazoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back