1.4 petrol..intermittant hotstart problem

Marts500

My driving mostly involves stop/start & short trips.The spark plugs look a bit sooty and would suggest the car is runnng slightly rich.Sometimes when warm..the car refuses to start immediately and feels like fuel starvation until its running ok.It never stalls when runnng & always starts first thing in the morning.I have changed all the filters inc fuel with oe items but still it has this intermittant problem.

My driving mostly involves stop/start & short trips.The spark plugs look a bit sooty and would suggest the car is runnng slightly rich.Sometimes when warm..the car refuses to start immediately and feels like fuel starvation until its running ok.It never stalls when runnng & always starts first thing in the morning.I have changed all the filters inc fuel with oe items but still it has this intermittant problem.
The usual problem is the temperature sender. If this is faulty the ECU thinks the engine is cold and so adds more fuel and if the car is hot, that is too much fuel and so gives starting problems.

It is a reasonably cheap and easy thing to replace and it just MIGHT help?

but a VCDS scan might pinpoint the exact problem

steve B

Temp sender...mmm.Might be worth swapping out if i can locate it.Have scanned the car with no faults present.I am intrigued by the intrrmittant nature of the fault.Maybe 1-2 a week and thats about it.

Temp sender...mmm.Might be worth swapping out if i can locate it.Have scanned the car with no faults present.I am intrigued by the intrrmittant nature of the fault.Maybe 1-2 a week and thats about it.
The temperature sender doesn't just fail, it becomes internittent and sometimes reads the right temp. other times not.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back