1.4 TD 90 Sport False Floor

trufflestu

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I've done a search for this and the messageboard is playing up and giving me every post thats been made in a list.

My dad has just purchased a 90 Sport version, after loving my A2 (finally converted him). Upon collection it had no false boot floor, and it appears no facility to put one in place.

My question is:- Is this correct that there was never one in the first place on the Sport model?, if there wasn't can it be retrofitted, as I've bought him a false floor cover for it. It's a 2004 if that helps.

It was an optional extra I think. I also think retro-fitting is not exactly trivial.

Like you I find the search logic doesn't seem to work properly anymore, anything I search for just pulls up every thread on the forum, just in a seemingly random order!

You are quite correct - the sport models did not have a false floor as standard, it had to be specced.

Retro fitting is just a caseif buying the side brackets and clips, then cutting the carpet in the right places to insert them and has been done by at least one member on here, who may well be along soon to explain in more detail.

Cheers

Mike

Yand has been done by at least one member on here, who may well be along soon to explain in more detail.

Cheers

Mike

Yep, I did this to my TDi 90 Sport, mostly to give a flat floor after I had installed the collapsible spare wheel.

To get this done you have to buy the set of bits - which is well detailed on this forum. http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5874

It's not too tricky though - first you need a false floor - which I sourced from eBay in Soul Black to match the car.

Then you need a steel bracket for each side of the boot, a plastic cover for each one which presses over them, press clips for the plastic covers to clip into, and a set of bolts and blind nuts. I think I ordered 14 of each of the nuts and bolts, because I think that's what it said in Etka - see the post linked above.

The brackets fasten to the inner wheel arches on each side of the boot.

To get to this, you have to remove the 'carpet' trim panels on each side of the boot with their foam sound proof backing. To do this, I took out the rear seats, the lower C-pillar trims, and then the trim inside each side of the boot. I think I removed the carpet from the boot floor as well as the load down loops to make all this possible, and slipped the rear seat belts out of the slots in the trim to allow it to come out.

The large boot side trims are located in the body by the usual spring clips which slide over moulded pieces on the back of the trim. Go steady here, as some guile will complement brute force!

There are pre-drilled holes in each side, into which you insert the collapsible nuts. You offer up the brackets, push the bolts through and tighten them up.

So you have the main metal brackets in place, and you have to cut slots to allow them to "poke through" the boot side trims. I offered the trims up, marked where the brackets were, and (carefully) cut out slots in the trim with a Stanley knife. Worth taking time here, as you can always cut off a little more ....

You don't have to be absolutely accurate though, as the plastic trim which clips over the bracket is designed to cover the cuts in the trim so that no cut edges are showing.

Once you have this right, test fit the boot trims, and plastic covers to the bracket, and give the boot floor a try - it pivots in ends of the plastic covers.

If it looks ok, rebuild all the trim panels, boot floor etc etc, and put the seats back in.

The whole thing took me about three hours. Mostly because I had about three careful attempts to cut the trim on either side before I was happy.

Hope that helps.

A

Back