1.4 tdi consumption

A friend just got back from a one-up trip to Cornwall in a 2005 1.4 TDi SE, and on the way back it did 270 miles on 21 litres of diesel.

Virtually all the way back was motorway and/or dual carriageway at the legal maximum, but still only averaged 58.32mpg.

Ok, so that's almost 60mpg .... but a far-cry from the '70-80mpg' on long trips which many A2 Owners achieve with seeming regularity.

Could there, perhaps, be some 'magic formula' which they are using - other than an even lighter right foot, and the driver weighing less than a jockey?

Even though I always wear 'anti-gravity' undies my remapped tdi75 has only averaged 56 mpg over the 10,000 miles I've done in it since I bought it last September.

fuel consumption

i drive 2x 15 miles a day x 5 days per week 1 junction on moroway but at slow speed due to time of day
get about 56 altogether with mixed in town driving from the tank readout...
on a longer run with cruise i get 58 mpg it is a tdi 90

also echoing previous comment my 54 reg a4 2.0tdi se fully laden will do 56 on the 240 mile trip to glasgow so i too am a little disappointed from the a2 but then i do have a remap (stealth) and have skipton fitted cruise and rns e and i got bluetooth as well so i am still well sorted
70 mpg + seems amazing and very useful at the present time
Paul

I think most car manufacturers like to quote the best figures when advertising fuel economy but anything above 50mpg I think is fairly respectable. As I said recently in another thread, I can get 60mpg when travelling on motorway type roads over long distances but only if I travel at about 50mph. I can't relate to the people who quote massive mpg and say they were 'flooring it' and would too be interested to know what their magic formula is. At the moment I am getting no more than about 53mpg - mostly A-roads with some town driving, again at no more than 50mph if I can help it. We are travelling from Inverness to Heathrow which is not far off 600 miles each way and I will be removing the back seats primarily to create more space incase myself and my missus need a kip :)D old romantic I am) and I am also going to try travelling at about 50mph in the slow lane. I figure that I will be less tired as less concentration will be needed than at higher speeds. Less general vehicle wear and importantly less fuel consumption.

Anyone here heard of the Seat Ibiza Ecomotive 1.4 TDI? I think that would be my choice if I was buying a new car. £0 car tax and 74.3mpg combined! Nice! But the A2 is still exellent :D

Last edited:
Ours is mostly used round town, where it averages a little under 50mpg, but I once got 75mpg on a 200 mile round trip where I cruised at an indicated 60mph (actual 56mph according to Satnav). It probably would have been better if there hadn't been any motorway hold-ups.

Have you tried using Millers Diesel Sport 4. Before using it we were getting 53.5 mpg but now managing to get 57.5 mpg. The types of journey have remained constant. We have not been attempting to stretch the mpg, it has just happened. It has worked for us, just do exactly what it says on the tin. Should notice some improvement by the second tankfull.

My 1.4TDI averages around 60-64mpg (all depending on how warm the weather is). I do 2 x 20 mile journeys a day (to and from work), 5 times a week. I also do a little bit of around town stuff during the weekend which usually brings the mpg down a touch.

Last week when the outside temp read something like 20 degrees, I managed to cruise at 71.7mpg, this then dropped to 68 when I stop/started my way into my estate.

I think an average 55-60 mpg is achievable if you keep revs below or around 2k, and try to drive really smoothly (ride that torque wave baby :)). Obviously if you're doing short journeys everyday your mpg will remain low. My '2 sits comfortably on the motorway at 70, and returns a nice healthy 57+ mpg in pretty much all weathers, but it took me a little while to adjust my driving style as any sharp or sudden acceleration will drop it like a stone.

O and keep them super shiny and clean, they like that and use less fuel. ;):D

1.4Tdi Consumption

Hi

currently getting anything between 55-58 mpg on 03 plate sport. I did get lower mpg around the late 40's and like most owners was wondering whether the extra mpg could come from.

Two things have changed which gave me the enhanced figure.

1. Skipton Cruise
2. Adjustement of Brake Shoes (don't think this had much to do with it, but I have listed it anyway!!

I find that travelling with cruise on at 55-60mph gives a fantastic return on MPG. I dont hammer the car in anyway either before or after the installation of cruise control

So it seems that the computer controlling the speed of the car was always going to be much better than my right foot, but didnt think it would be that massive. I am indeed very surpised.

Miller Sport 4 does also help the engine run more smoothly and does give a more enjoyable and less harsh drive.

Imran

Dont do much motorway driving but still get 48 to 50 mpg round town from my 2001 75 hp tdi and i have a reasonablly heavy right foot (love the turbo)

Looking at all the MPG threads over the years I've noticed the 75 gets on average 5 -10 mpg more than the 90.

Also A roads are a major factor. The more you have the better the mpg. Motorway wise my 90's mpg drops off the faster I go (unsurprisingly)

So A roads at 50-60 I get 53mpg and motorways at 70 - 75 I get 49-50mpg. When the wife takes it to work at 80ish it returns 46-48mpg.

So around 60mpg not bad then.

Really good to have response from other 1.4 TDi owners about their own experience with fuel consumption. I note that one A2OC Member said '1.2 TDi' - did they actually sell this in the UK? I know that Audi were going to market a version of the A2 with a 1.2 diesel, capable of around 90mpg, but thought it may only have been sold (if at all) on the Continent, especially after Audi rationalised/cut the engine options around 2004-ish. Also thought I read somewhere recently that in a couple of years, Bentley should be offering a 100mpg model - scotch mist, or just hot-air?

GExx

I think so far my 90 is about the same.

If I dont go over 50 mph its really good locally around 55 but thats me driving it like a granny.

On a run sort of around 60 its about 56.

Romping it home after I bought it doing around 80
( nearly kacked myself when the buzzer the previous had set at 80 :rolleyes:)
returned I think it was around 47.
these are Genuine figures not ones Im pulling out of a dartboard:)

on a long run 100 miles of A roads thru Aberdeenshire A96,the woman got 63 on way through and 61 on the way back.

Last edited:
A friend just got back from a one-up trip to Cornwall in a 2005 1.4 TDi SE, and on the way back it did 270 miles on 21 litres of diesel.

Virtually all the way back was motorway and/or dual carriageway at the legal maximum, but still only averaged 58.32mpg.

Ok, so that's almost 60mpg .... but a far-cry from the '70-80mpg' on long trips which many A2 Owners achieve with seeming regularity.

Could there, perhaps, be some 'magic formula' which they are using - other than an even lighter right foot, and the driver weighing less than a jockey?

Hi Janmanessi,

The only magic formula that I have discovered is a really good tail wind! I occasionally do a run to Dublin which is mostly motorway with 120kph (75mph) limit. A 30mph tail wind will see 70+ mpg. The only problem is on the way back, driving into the wind, I get 50+ mpg. I think VAG were wrong to stop making the 1.2 TDI engine, but I did read somewhere that they may be planning another similar small capacity diesel engine.

John.

Since getting pulled for sppeeding recently ( i was driving a borrowed Mazda6 and had miscalculaured the acceleration) I have eased off with my speed ( still try to drive 'spiritidly' at or slightly above speed limit when conditions are appropriate),. My mpg has improved to 57 generally using V-power/Ultimate/Excellium. This is a mix of a 12 mile a road commute, m/way to girlfreinds, carrying passenger and large dog and overtaking when sensible.

Compared with the 42-44mpg I was averaging a year ago with my A6 130TDi I am quite happy because my actual expenditure on fuel is pretty much the same.

Just calculated my consumption so far, have averaged 50mpg since picking up the A2. I do quite a lot of urban grind, and I get far too bored on M-ways to sit at 60mph, and since I've already re-mapped it, I guess that's not too bad? Better than the 22mpg I was getting from my previous car anyway!

Back