1.4 tdi only 44 mpg?!

Apsaauga

Hello

Is it me or my 1,4 tdi 75hp is hungry with diesel? As i know it has 34 litres fuel tank, but i can get only 310 miles per tank (including 30 miles with fuel light on). Besides 200 miles were droven on highway in 70 mph. Is it normal in winter or i have some problems with my car?

Besides, another day when my fuel light came on i could fill only 26 litres. So i don't understand, are there 8 litres left when the light is on? I am in doubt, because the fuel gauge was beyond the red line and i would't dare to try another 60 mile trip with the ligh on.

Please give your opinion. Thanks

44mpg for your TDI isn't the end of the world in my opinion. I've owned my A2 now for 2 years and I have only seen above 50mpg on one or two occasions, typically with a mixture of around town and motorway driving I get about 43mpg. I did notice an increase in fuel consumption when I switched from 15” wheels to 205 17” so depending what wheels you are currently riding on you may want to downsize if fuel consumption is a problem.

I assume the weather in Lithuania is rather cold at the moment? And do you run on winter tyres? My consumption has increased since the weather turned cold and snowy in the UK which is quite normal. Check the usual such as brake binding, tyre pressures, air filter, etc and look at your driving style. Diesels require a different style to a petrol to get the best out of them and i think a lot of first time dieselers still rev the rollocks of their cars. Also if you sit with the engine running for an age it won't help economy (went shopping on Thursday having parked next to car with the driver sat in and the engine running, came back 45 minutes later and driver still sat with engine running.... presumably he is also complaining about the cost of fuel etc etc). Every one has a different driving style and so it is difficult to assess however I would be pretty peed off at 44mpg. I dropped to 48-49 mpg in the worst of the weather last winter and before fitting the 5th gear upgrade.

Last week my diesel dropped to 45mpg, it's lowest level ever in my ownership. This cold weather, de-icing, shortish journeys, heater, lights are all taking their toll. Roll on the summer and +60mpg.

Could also check your fuel temp sender / coolant temp sender / thermostat.

I have just done this and the car drives so much better and MPG is up

John

Thanks for the replies:)

Yes, it is cold out here, -10 C as average. Brrrr. I bought my A2 with winter tyres 155/65 R15:) wow they are small ones:) as soon as i bought the car i changed to fully synthetic oil and all the filters.

Oh, and i think i miscalculated mpg because of imperial and US difference. I drove 500 km with ~32 litres i think? So I am confused now:) I know my other car is 3.2 litres petrol, but i am driving a2 really calm and never reach 3500 rpm when lifting off.

By the way, can anyone tell how much diesel is left when the light is on?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies:)

Yes, it is cold out here, -10 C as average. Brrrr. I bought my A2 with winter tyres 155/65 R15:) wow they are small ones:) as soon as i bought the car i changed to fully synthetic oil and all the filters.

Oh, and i think i miscalculated mpg because of imperial and US difference. I drove 500 km with ~32 litres i think? So I am confused now:)

still works out as 44.1mpg.:)

Mine reads between 40-50 miles left, just as the light comes on. And i know it's not a good idea to run on nearly empty but even when the fuel guage reads 0 miles i have got at least another 5 or so miles left.
I'm not advising anyone to try it but i just needed to know, just in case!

:cool:

In 6 months of 02 tdi ownership I've averaged 52.5mpg, however last week with the snow and cold temps this dropped to 41mpg from a full tank - my worst ever. Most journeys are around 5 miles with heater and lights on but still a bit more of a drop than I was expecting!
Russ

mine is doing 50 - 55 mpg in this cold weather the extra heater makes a difference it's hardly been off this last 2 weeks so that does not help mpg if you have the int. heater up higher than normal the extra heater has to cut in more often to keep the engine temp up

Where abouts in Lithuania are you?

I took some Photos of A2's when I was over there. :eek:

Try driving only upto 2000 rpm and then only going over that when in top.

Im down to about 47 just now as Im using the gears more and cant poodle along with Snowy frosty roads

ChubbyBrown: i live in the center of it, city of Kaunas:)

Today i was confused even more, when i refilled my tank. The fuel lighht was on for 30miles and the arrow was almost on the R line. I thought my tank is totally empty. And then i could only put 28 litres in it?! Is my fuel gauge showing nonsense or my tank is 30 litres?:) which is not obviously

As i know there should be 34 l in the tank, so there were 6 litres left, and if there were 6 litres left, then my mpg would be way better. So please, give your opinions about my situation:)

Cheers, and thanks for your time

Last edited:
The only sure way to check fuel consumption is to fill it to the brim, drive until you are ready tio fill up. Fill it to the brim again and calculate MPG or L/100km if you prefer. Fuel gauges will generally be pessimistic to minimise th chance of running out of fuel.

ChubbyBrown: i live in the center of it, city of Kaunas:)

A2inKaunas.jpg

Dont tell me this is your car?

Kaunas is Beautiful.

Heh, no this is not my car, but it the license place is very familiar:) my car is ~200 meters from the place you took this picture:)

heh, funny:) and thanks, Kaunas is pretty old city, no skyscrapers.

cheers

:D
Not being Funny but I did see a mettalic Gray A2 but it wasnt stopped long enough to photograph it.
was this one yours?

Kaunas is Lovely. Bar Bar'as is like a Carlsberg bar!
We wondered about the abandoned Fairground up in the woods,
what was that all about?

Oh Lietuva was a great place when the Basketball was on...
we were in the square cheering too!

Last edited:
Nope, i think i wasn't the owner of a2 when you visited Kaunas:)

Yeah, you liked barbara, and i hate it, because i can almost feel the bass in my apartment on weekends coming from it:)

What fairground are you talking about? Where was it?

And by the way, Next year (2011) we will have a huge event in Lithuania. Second time in our country history we are organizing European basketball championship. First time was in 1939 years.

Please come and cheer for us :D

If these numbers are cut and paste into a search in google maps then they pinpoint the fairground location in Kaunas: 54.897218,23.929296

we wonder why nobody goes to this anymore

Hello

Is it me or my 1,4 tdi 75hp is hungry with diesel? As i know it has 34 litres fuel tank, but i can get only 310 miles per tank (including 30 miles with fuel light on). Besides 200 miles were droven on highway in 70 mph. Is it normal in winter or i have some problems with my car?

Besides, another day when my fuel light came on i could fill only 26 litres. So i don't understand, are there 8 litres left when the light is on? I am in doubt, because the fuel gauge was beyond the red line and i would't dare to try another 60 mile trip with the ligh on.

Please give your opinion. Thanks
Hi Apsaauga,
The point I would like to ask, is your Audi A2 TDI has done over 100,000 miles? If yes then
1) I would suggest trying the Inlet Manifold cleaned up. Over the time the carbon deposits built up and clog the flow of air which results in weak power in combustion chamber.
2) I use Miller's Diesel booster one shot per fill up which cleans up the inside the engine and gives better pick and miles per gallon.
3) Open the engine bay, locate the Mass Air Flow meter device next to brake oil lid on the left hand side, (1.4 TDI AMF engine) open the screws and clean the Air inlet sensor with spray like Tripple QX Brake Cleaner or proper Mass Air Flow cleaner spray.
4) The fuel injector may have carbon deposits builtup on the nosell that does not give right diesel spray pattern into the cylinder. Use Forte Injector Cleaner and then Forte Diesel system cleaner.
5) If it is cold weather, then it likely to consume more fuel but not that much as you are saying. I live in England, I get around 60 miles per UK gallon at 70 mph on motorway.

Your fuel guage may have been rusty or had the cold winter effect so it is not giving the right indicaiton. It may be located under the rear right side seat.
The above are possilbe solutions which I have used on my car.
Thanks.

Back