1.4TDi 75 - Lost gears - Selector tower fault? Bad cables? Im lost

RoryW

Hi all,

Ive been running a lovely little A2 for the last 20k and its been faultless.

Pulled onto a roundabout couple weeks ago, went for 2nd and the gearstick became solid. Not even able to wiggle to indicate neutral. I could however pull it down into 4th, if I let go it would ping straight back up and lose drive. Limped it into the lay-by.

Link

Went back and tried resetting the cables, assuming that's usually the issue with gear selection on the little bugs. No joy.

I ended up disconnecting cables, I can then select gear (Manually on the box) and it holds well in gear. Locked into 3rd, managed to get it home sat in gear (Manually selected on box basically)

I reset the cables again the next day, I get movement now, sometimes its get into gear but usually jumps out.

Decided to check the selector tower out. Moves ok, doesn't seem too bad to be honest, I'm kind of lost now. Anything else I should look at before forking out 300£ for a new tower? is there a trick to the cable calibration on the older, longer mileage cars?

Im not in immediate despair, but genuinely cannot afford to daily an M3. Im not sure how I did it for so long 😂

Last edited:
Hi all,

Ive been running a lovely little A2 for the last 20k and its been faultless.

Pulled onto a roundabout couple weeks ago, went for 2nd and the gearstick became solid. Not even able to wiggle to indicate neutral. I could however pull it down into 4th, if I let go it would ping straight back up and lose drive. Limped it into the lay-by.

Link

Went back and tried resetting the cables, assuming that's usually the issue with gear selection on the little bugs. No joy.

I ended up disconnecting cables, I can then select gear (Manually on the box) and it holds well in gear. Locked into 3rd, managed to get it home sat in gear (Manually selected on box basically)

I reset the cables again the next day, I get movement now, sometimes its get into gear but usually jumps out.

Decided to check the selector tower out. Moves ok, doesn't seem too bad to be honest, I'm kind of lost now. Anything else I should look at before forking out 300£ for a new tower? is there a trick to the cable calibration on the older, longer mileage cars?

Im not in immediate despair, but genuinely cannot afford to daily an M3. Im not sure how I did it for so long 😂
I found my cable inner had separated from my outer in the cabin, which I was able to cover in epoxy and repair!

Attachments

• 20230621_210513.jpg
    20230621_210513.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
I found my cable inner had separated from my outer in the cabin, which I was able to cover in epoxy and repair!
I hadn't even considered checking the cabin end! Looks like that's my Sunday sorted. Ill check it our. I swear I was resetting the cables but would get odd, inconsistent movement on tower. Couldn't figure if it was cables, or the tower being a pain

I hadn't even considered checking the cabin end! Looks like that's my Sunday sorted. Ill check it our. I swear I was resetting the cables but would get odd, inconsistent movement on tower. Couldn't figure if it was cables, or the tower being a pain
It was mostly when changing from 1st to 2nd it would pop out but before that I felt asif the selectors moved forward a cm on the stick? Bit odd but sorted now

It was mostly when changing from 1st to 2nd it would pop out but before that I felt asif the selectors moved forward a cm on the stick? Bit odd but sorted now
Well, maybe I should follow my own intuition without someone saying what id already mentioned! I owe you a drink.

How the hell did you manage to epoxy it though!

Attachments

• IMG_02FCD9A76B73-1.jpeg
    IMG_02FCD9A76B73-1.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 80
Well, maybe I should follow my own intuition without someone saying what id already mentioned! I owe you a drink.

How the hell did you manage to epoxy it though
I took the whole gear box bit off (I don't know the name sorry) twisted the cables back with them unclipped from the metal bottom then slotted it in, super glued a quick bead around it with kicker then left it 10 min before covering the cable from the metal to a 1inch down the black outer. Maybe wrapp it in some fibeglass cloth for added strength?

How the hell did you manage to epoxy it though!
I also took the feet vent bit off so the cables where nice and free, I actually did it in audi yorks carpark after I went in to see if they could help and a mechanic lent me his tools!

Well, I've hit the hell out of it with epoxy. I will see if I can get a replacement to be safe. Apparently Audi have stopped production of them.

Well, I've hit the hell out of it with epoxy. I will see if I can get a replacement to be safe. Apparently Audi have stopped production of them.
You'll be very hard pressed to find a replacement! Did you get the cable and wire fully in?

You'll be very hard pressed to find a replacement! Did you get the cable and wire fully in?
Yeah, I had to cut 10mm of the cables off as they were everywhere. So epoxied in the fixing a ton. Cables moves still now it’s set so thankfully didn’t glue it into a lump!

One of the issues I've dreading to have:eek:
Could you take a pic of the wider area and is there anything we can do to prevent this? Cheers

Yeah, I had to cut 10mm of the cables off as they were everywhere. So epoxied in the fixing a ton. Cables moves still now it’s set so thankfully didn’t glue it into a lump!
I managed to twist the cables back together, I wonder if the lack of wires will causing any friction grip issues?

I managed to twist the cables back together, I wonder if the lack of wires will causing any friction grip issues?
Very little force through the outta of the cable, the tower was stripped and rebuilt so is buttery smooth.

All back together now, smoother changes than it’s ever been in my ownership.

Worryingly, I only managed to get 800ml of gearbox oil out! New oil tomorrow and then back on the road.

I will try and get a good second hand cable but I’m confident the cable will hold

Very little force through the outta of the cable, the tower was stripped and rebuilt so is buttery smooth.

All back together now, smoother changes than it’s ever been in my ownership.

Worryingly, I only managed to get 800ml of gearbox oil out! New oil tomorrow and then back on the road.

I will try and get a good second hand cable but I’m confident the cable will hold
I was thinking due to it bending the friction might push it forward! I squirted a load of wd 40 down mine when I did it to try and combat it a bit!

I'm putting a lot of faith in my repair as I'm driving to mallorca in 2 weeks in the car!

I was thinking due to it bending the friction might push it forward! I squirted a load of wd 40 down mine when I did it to try and combat it a bit!

I'm putting a lot of faith in my repair as I'm driving to mallorca in 2 weeks in the car!

I think I gearbox mount being shot is a large factor to this failure.

Take a spare torx with you incase!

Back