1.6 FSI Combustion Issues. What's going on?

Jaegermeister

Hi everyone. My engine warning light has come on. Had it in the shop twice now. They clear it but it comes straight back. The engine is juddery. Sometimes its ok, sometimes its really bad. Doesnt improve once warm, prefers higher revs. The garage said it could be a number of things - vacuum leak, cat leak, intake manifold issue but suggested leaving it until it gets worse so they can diagnose problem better.

Thing is, I'd like it diagnosed now. Is there anything I can do to eliminate possible problems? or try another garage?

What codes does it come up with for the EML? That's the first place to start, otherwise we're all just guessing in the dark. If your garage ignored the codes and just cleared them, find another garage.

Welcome. A trip down to WOM Automotive is a thought. They are well versed in all matters A2 There will more help heading your way.

Best of luck,
Simon.

Ian's advice above is sound, a garage change is needed, not everyone should be unleashed on an A2, particularly an FSi.

Hi everyone. My engine warning light has come on. Had it in the shop twice now. They clear it but it comes straight back. The engine is juddery. Sometimes its ok, sometimes its really bad. Doesnt improve once warm, prefers higher revs. The garage said it could be a number of things - vacuum leak, cat leak, intake manifold issue but suggested leaving it until it gets worse so they can diagnose problem better.

Thing is, I'd like it diagnosed now. Is there anything I can do to eliminate possible problems? or try another garage?
Are you using (98-99 Octane?) premium fuel (E5 only) - and has the car been run on this exclusively throughout? The FSi must be run on the good stuff - this was mandated by Audi from the beginning and must be adhered to.

On the face of it this sounds very similar to my issues. As said above, you need to get the fault codes scanned and go from there.
Mine misfires so is juddery underload, much more noticeable under 3000 rpm and gets worse in higher gears as engine labours. Its worth noting that I don't get an EML all the time, but it does log the fault codes.

On the face of it this sounds very similar to my issues. As said above, you need to get the fault codes scanned and go from there.
Mine misfires so is juddery underload, much more noticeable under 3000 rpm and gets worse in higher gears as engine labours. Its worth noting that I don't get an EML all the time, but it does log the fault codes.
P1031 perhaps?
Mac.

Reactions: Ami
In this order, my guess would be.

Vacuum Leak
Fuel Injectors
Timming Belt

I had very similar issues.

Have someone look at the plastic oil separator below the engine

My guess would be a vacuum leak. Plenty of places where that would happen, intake path, PCV, etc.

Without as scan you are getting nowhere, both literally and metaphorically. Get it scanned and come back with some DTCs.

Evros

Back