1.6 FSI Engine Decarbonising using water

steaman

A2OC Donor
Today I did a cylinder decarbonisation using water. I did exactly as presented on the video but I used 100% tap water. Next step is to take the car for a test run. Anybody else done this? Any reflections?

[video=youtube;38dNGiHcnHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38dNGiHcnHM[/video]

I took it for a spin and it's running smoother and quieter than before, but only marginal. But I have already used LIQUI MOLY intake valve cleaner and LIQUI MOLY Injection cleaner.
Now I am confident that all except the Throttle Valve unit is clean. As suggested, in another thread, I need to clean it by hand.

I can really recommend this treatment as a first action as it is for free and easy to do. The improvement should have been bigger if I had done this as a first treatment.

I tried this on my corsa first and it worked really well, but I had done nothing beforehand. When I tried on the A2 I didnt notice much difference but I had already run through 3 bottles of injector cleaner. I will make it a regular treatment for the cars though.

my concern is the addition of water could result in overwhelming the intake and cause mechanical damage (hydraulic lock) and the 'evidence' of black stains on the floor at the exhaust could be as much about washing soot from the exhaust pipe rather than hardened carbon deposits on piston, head and valves? Surely more use of 97ron 'ultima' type fuels stands more chance and reduces risk?

This as the potential to work as anyone who as replaced a cylinder head gasket because of a leak between water jacket and cylinder. The cylinder that had been ingesting water is spotless, piston crown, valves, cylinder head etc
As to can the same effect be had by misting water into the inlet manifold I could not say. The chances of hydraulic locking the engine with the water as very slim unless you are using an hose pipe to apply the water.
Think about when the car is running on a damp day, there is more water content in the air charge than on a dry day, the car actually runs better on these damp days as the water slows the petrol burn slightly resulting in more power for longer

Musket and rifle infantry-men used to rinse their barrels with hot water to clean out the soot and coking. Guess what the field expedient for warm water was if your barrel was caked...
Not suggesting it, just a fun infobite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musket and rifle infantry-men used to rinse their barrels with hot water to clean out the soot and coking. Guess what the field expedient for warm water was if your barrel was caked...
Not suggesting it, just a fun infobite.
Isn't that what they now call Adblue?

Can anyone recommend an additive to use in conjunction with water for de-coking ? Are people using Wynns type injector cleaners? STP = £4 Redex, considerably more. What is recommended?

No, I don´t think decarbonising with water will clean the EGR valve. The most effective cleaning of the EGR valve is to remove and dismantle it.

So there was something folks might remember years ago called 10k boost, think it pretty much was just “carb cleaner”.

Anyway, my thoughts have been that it may be worth wedging a can of this type of stuff through the inlet (after the MAF) every service to clean out any crap built up. Dunno if it would work, don’t know if it’s aggressive enough, or good enough to actually clean the passages.

Not suggesting 10k boost itself because it was expensive and not sure it was that good, but regularly throwing something of this effect through the inlet might help stop the build up.

better answer is to disable the EGR, even better remove the bloody thing, clean out the inlet manifold and it will never clog up again

Back