1.6 FSI Inlet manifold removal guide

shaun5

There are only a few guides regarding this so i thought i'd post another which will include pictures.

First thing to do is remove the air duct above the engine. This is held on with 3 X 10mm head (5mm thread size) nuts. You will also need to remove the skuttle panel / plastic as there are 2 X torq screws under it that hold the duct on. To remove it, just gently pull it up (I removed the washer jets) but didn't remove the wiper arms. When removing it be careful not to rip the foam on a stud that is welded to the bulk head. I removed the radiator header tank to get it out. (there is one 10mm nut under it. Undo it, pull it off the stud and it comes out of the plastic lugs.

Next is to remove the throttle body. Im sure this has been covered elsewhere. Remove the pipe from the air box, unbolt it, remove the 2 electrical connectors, remove the 2 coolant pipes. I removed the 90 degree elbow, held on with 4 x torq bolts, 2 X bolts that support it on the inlet manifold, there is 1 electrical connector. The EGR pipe uses quite large torq bolts but i found a allen key (10mm i think) works. There might be an air pipe as well but i cant remember.

Now its time to start on the actual inlet manifold. There are 5 easy to see allen bolts (6mm). a few electrical connectors, a big breather pipe, a vacuum pipe that goes to the flap actuator to remove. The pictures of the manifold show the 2 more bolts that need to be removed. You have to get under the car to access them.
I removed the left hand engine mount (supporting the engine on a jack and big piece of wood) so i could pull the engine forward, i cut a piece of wood the correct length and wedged it. Removing what i assume is the fuel rail pressure sensor help to be able to get the manifold out. When i did get it past the bulk head there was one more pipe to disconnect.

I will take and add lots more pictures when i get chance.

Attachments

• a2 inlet 012.jpg
    a2 inlet 012.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 924
  • a2 inlet 013.jpg
    a2 inlet 013.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 1,537
  • a2 inlet 014.jpg
    a2 inlet 014.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 973
  • a2 inlet 006.jpg
    a2 inlet 006.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 950
  • a2 inlet 003.jpg
    a2 inlet 003.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 924
  • a2 inlet 009.jpg
    a2 inlet 009.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 870
  • a2 inlet 010.jpg
    a2 inlet 010.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 1,042
  • a2 inlet 011.jpg
    a2 inlet 011.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 941
Great, I am considering doing this as well.
How much work is needed underneath the car? I am getting a bit old for scrabbling around underneath........:(

Great, I am considering doing this as well.
How much work is needed underneath the car? I am getting a bit old for scrabbling around underneath........:(

If you can, i would jack the car up and put on axle stands. You will be able to remove the undertray easier and for me its a better working height (im 6' 4") There isn't to much that needs doing underneath.

Ive just changed the big water pipe on the back of the engine. What a PITA that was. it looks an easy job but for some reason i struggled.

Well car is back together but ive got a major fuel leak. I had problems putting the fuel rail back on (it was VERY tight on the "O" rings) so i must have cut one of them. It comes up with 17428 fuel pressure regulation control range exceeded p1020. which i assume is because of the leak.
Can someone tell me the best way to refit the rail. I ended up putting the copper adaptors onto the injectors and then put the rail onto them, is that what other people have done? Obviously ive got to strip it all down again.

Back