[1.6 FSI - Possibly others] - Fitting a Polo expansion tank.

Evripidis

Well,

I am back with another monstrosity, but given my resources all in all it went well. The original a2 header tank you cannot source easily and if it the fsi then a used one will have probably suffered the same fate as the one you are trying to replace. Also the Meyle-flavoured on I got, cost 10 euros as opposed to the original one that would cost maybe 5 times as much.

The sizes are the same, the cap is the same, the hose connectors, electrical are the same but vary slightly in their location. The electrical connector will reach just fine but the smaller return hose you have to lengthen appropriately.

I decided to renew the header tank because it was the last bit I hadn't renewed while trying to fix my coolant overflow issue.

The pictures are self explanatory as to what is needed:

1. Aluminum flat bar 20mm wide 2mm thick, or similar.
2. Some nuts, bolts, lock washers, etc.
3. Push on fasteners.

The mounting points of the polo tank are different and you have to enlarge the hole while losing the rubber grommets at the same time. Nothing can be done about that but I ended up using push-on star fasteners to hold it in place. Not that it was needed anyway.

Here are the pictures:

IMG_20230221_102512_772-min.jpg
IMG_20230221_103156_699-min.jpg
IMG_20230221_114341_169-min.jpg
IMG_20230221_103932_513-min.jpg

Well,

I am back with another monstrosity, but given my resources all in all it went well. The original a2 header tank you cannot source easily and if it the fsi then a used one will have probably suffered the same fate as the one you are trying to replace. Also the Meyle-flavoured on I got, cost 10 euros as opposed to the original one that would cost maybe 5 times as much.

The sizes are the same, the cap is the same, the hose connectors, electrical are the same but vary slightly in their location. The electrical connector will reach just fine but the smaller return hose you have to lengthen appropriately.

I decided to renew the header tank because it was the last bit I hadn't renewed while trying to fix my coolant overflow issue.

The pictures are self explanatory as to what is needed:

1. Aluminum flat bar 20mm wide 2mm thick, or similar.
2. Some nuts, bolts, lock washers, etc.
3. Push on fasteners.

The mounting points of the polo tank are different and you have to enlarge the hole while losing the rubber grommets at the same time. Nothing can be done about that but I ended up using push-on star fasteners to hold it in place. Not that it was needed anyway.

Here are the pictures:

View attachment 104903View attachment 104904 View attachment 104906View attachment 104905
Subtopic I admit , but I have always wondered where to buy such push-on fasteners.

Subtopic I admit , but I have always wondered where to buy such push-on fasteners.
You have to buy such things in kits.

I got the following kits from rs components a long time ago: push on star fasteners, u-clip fasteners, rivets, rivet nuts, circlips, o-rings (NBR and AC) and copper washers. Spend some money and do this and it will pay itself back in time and frustration.

Tell me about it :-(
I was thinking about you, and @Evripidis to be honest. Also the extended warm up times on diesels.
For diesels, I'm thinking a variable speed electric pump, (to replace the internal pump), with flow rate controlled by an Arduino, and temp sensor on the engine outflow.
Improved mpg would result by maximising the thermal efficiency of the compression ignition principle.
Mac.

Diesels are running cooler I suppose. Personal experience with other makers suggests so.

Well, it has made a big difference in replacing the expansion tank. I really was not expecting this. Maybe it has failed internally, cracked or whatever. I had to find out the hard way. Well I hope I did anyway. It must have been letting pressure out from somewhere on the inside.

If you can spare the time get a new one and just change it.

Back