1.6 FSI throwing up another load of codes....

ksimpson

Every time I solve one problem with this car, another one arises. The CE light came on during the week. I stuck VCDS on it and got the following list of codes. Anyone any ideas? The manifold and actuator were replaced just over a year ago. I checked it this morning and the plastic arm is still in tact. It was very obviously broken before.

I wonder if I have a vacuum leak? To my knowledge the brake boost and manifold tuning valve both work of vacuum. The torque difference and misfires are new. Despite the light and the codes, the car is still running ok.

7 Faults Found:
18322 - Pressure Sensor for Brake Boost (G294): Implausible Signal
P1914 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17412 - Torque Difference Cylinder 1: Limit Value Exceeded
P1004 - 35-00 - -
17439 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (N136): Setpoint Not Reached
P1031 - 35-00 - -
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16687 - Cylinder 3: Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Hello Ken,

Agree with Pauls suggestion above, might be worth clearing the codes and seeing if they return.

Regarding the fault codes for random misfires, there's a sticky in the servicing and repairs forum relating to the earthing strap by the N/S headlight causing fault codes similar to your own. It might be worth removing the strap, cleaning it, and then seeing if the faults reoccur. A link to the sticky is here. http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?14144-If-you-have-a-1-6-FSi-with-random-misfire-READ-THIS

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Matt.

Thanks guys. Tried clearing the codes, but they came back. I cleaned the earth strap going back a year or two ago, but will give it another go to see if it makes a difference.

Misfires CAN be caused by an airleak. I had a horrendous set of codes come up on mine in the autumn. Turns out that I had not reconnected the corrugated plastic pipe properly thats near the oil filter. It came loose after a few days and the car ran with reduced power and threw a load of misfire codes (it did not run lumpy like when coil packs go, just weaker).
So though it looks scary with so many fault codes, often the cause is nothing serious.

I guess I should check that too, since I have 18322, 16684, 16686 on my list too!

Cheers,
Darko

Back