1.6FSI + Shell Optimax = MUCH BETTER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, i bought my A2 1.6FSI Sport (ex demo with 4k miles) around two months ago and from day one have been running it on the BP Ultimate Super Unleaded fuel. The car was jumpy and hessitant at low revs plus a little under powered but i thought nothing of it until i read on this forum that the FSI needs low sulphor fuel, Optimax.

Im just finishing my first full tank of Optimax and WHOA what a difference! After the car seemingly re-adjusted to it, no hessitation at low revs, and bags more power too! Also, with a quarter of a tank left i had done 300 miles of normal mixed driving, which is a good 25-30 better than the Ultimate fuel.

In conclusion, if you have a 1.6FSI, i recommend you steer well clear of BP Ultimate and use Optimax.

Andrew

I agree-I've used Optimax in my Corolla for a long time now and I did notice a nice engine run and slightly better fuel consumption. Works for me anyway.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

i have try both on my old (Alfa 147) BP Ultimate not much different to any normal unleaded! But Optimax is much smoother and pick up quicker. Now I only feed Optimax to my A2! I do mix driving in town doing about 37-8mpg.

1.6 FSI SE Crystal Blue

yeah its 88p around here... nuts!

i cant think of putting anything else back in it now, my girlfriend thinks i'm a head case going out of my way to get optimax

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/preppeller/audiicon.jpg[/img=left] A2 1.6FSI Sport in Azure Blue with strange blue sports interior
climate control, scratched front offside alloy, tape player.

About 84/85p per litre in Norfolk. At least we have a few Shell garages selling it so usually drive past one often enough to fill up without doing a 10mile detour.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

We use Optimax in the smart. Noticed it was 91.9p per litre in Cardiff yesterday (!) - glad I was in the Audi which did 300 miles on 5 gallons of diesel - best fuel return yet.

Just replaced my A2 TDI with a nearly new (37 miles on the clock) A2 1.6 FSI Colour Storm in red with Open Sky, CD etc. Only disappointment is the engine, but I guess it needs to loosen up a little. I have the same problem as other readers, that at low revs its a little hesitant. My view on this is that the engine is operating in Stratified mode up to 2000 rpm, after 2,000 it moves into homogeneous mode when it gets a full dose of petrol.

As I am near completion of an Msc in Automotive Systems Engineering I thought I would use a little bit of my new found knowledge to carry out a practical experiments on the Optimax vs other fuels questions, with little help from the OBD port and a Pocket PC. If I get anywhere I'll let you know.

I only found that my car was hesitant with BP Ultimate and standard ron95.. this went away pretty much completely with the Optimax.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/preppeller/audiicon.jpg[/img=left] A2 1.6FSI Sport in Azure Blue with strange blue sports interior
climate control, scratched front offside alloy, tape player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back