1.8T in an A2?

nin

A2OC Donor
Whilst over at Stealth getting our new 1.4 TDi mapped, I fell into a conversation about putting a VAG 1.8T into an A2. But I was too keen to play with the new toy to stay and finish it.

So - has anyone out there done it? What's likely to be involved? I'm guessing the whole engine, ancillaries, turbo, drive train would have to drop in with donor engine management systems as well.

Custom exhaust I suppose? Drive shafts, hubs and brakes? Would gearbox ratios work or are we looking at a rebuild?

I'm beginning to feel an itch ...

Yes one of our members "myta2" has done the conversion a few years back. It looks and goes very well. As for the general fitment I can't help but there are a few pictures on here. Cheers Mike

Interesting I will have to look up the 1.8T conversion, curious to know if anyone has done it with a bike engine like a Hayabusa or similar? I do know of a local garage that offers Mini conversions with bike engines, I might explore the cost of having this done, could be fun. :)

Hmmm. A Hayabusa engine in an A2 would be a hoot!

But reading around this now - (thanks fellas for the steer) and MytA2s experiences and likely cost mean I'd probably look at a TDi 90 plus remap. And equip my workshop with the money saved!

I'd like one with the rear mounted air-cooled VW 1300S engine. The sound of that would be a killer! No need for an ECU :)

Cheers
D

I Looked at the pics in the thread to the big-engine project. Great to see a colour-matching grill fitted to that car! I'm just a few days away from fitting my smoothed and painted grill, incorporating badge-illumination. I think that the end result should be quite pleasing.

David

If I had the money or the engine blew up on mine and I had no choice I'd see about getting a newish 1.4 or 1.6 tsi engine fitted from like a polo or a1?? Also and automatic one that would be brilliant

the A2 is too heavy for a bike engine (lack of torque at low revs).

I wonder if the later Hayabusa engines which are 1340cc would do the job?

I know you can also buy turbo kits for that engine, although the costs would be excessive to modify and rebuild a good engine to take the extra power that the turbo would add.

I do like the idea of the TFSI engine and it would be far more usable everyday I guess.

the A2 is too heavy for a bike engine (lack of torque at low revs).

That is a really good point that I hadn't thought of, and probably rules the bike engine option out.

Liking the idea of the 1.4. TFsi, but I don't imagine there will be too many of them knocking around in scrapped donor cars for a while.

Back