1600fsi : Again and again new los

al 2

Hello
Yet another 1600 FSI coolant leak
Not too convinced of the diagnosis of a mechanic who had only noticed an oozing from the pipes used to heat the passenger compartment, I thought there could be another origin given the few small puddles of water on the ground if the car had been stationary for more than a day.
In fact, after having viewed and if possible touched various water pipes, it was only when, always with difficulty, I inserted my hand behind the engine block, under the suction pipes, that I felt a very wet part. There, with a mirror, I could see a kind of metal cover where a sensor comes in, not so if the water circulating inside is used for the exhaust gas recirculation valve or for heating the throttle valve. To intervene there seems very complicated to me.
Here I have only read about the expansion tank, the head gasket, or the sleeves but never about leaks in that part.
Has anyone already had this problem?

Hello
Yet another 1600 FSI coolant leak
Not too convinced of the diagnosis of a mechanic who had only noticed an oozing from the pipes used to heat the passenger compartment, I thought there could be another origin given the few small puddles of water on the ground if the car had been stationary for more than a day.
In fact, after having viewed and if possible touched various water pipes, it was only when, always with difficulty, I inserted my hand behind the engine block, under the suction pipes, that I felt a very wet part. There, with a mirror, I could see a kind of metal cover where a sensor comes in, not so if the water circulating inside is used for the exhaust gas recirculation valve or for heating the throttle valve. To intervene there seems very complicated to me.
Here I have only read about the expansion tank, the head gasket, or the sleeves but never about leaks in that part.
Has anyone already had this problem?
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve, (EGR), is water heated, so probably the EGR Valve Sensor, G212, (a potentiometer), or the valve actuator N18. I think they are in one unit, with a 6 pin connector.
Can't help with access, with luck, another member may know more than me about actually getting to it.
Mac.

These two threads may help.
Mac.

These two threads may help.
Mac.

Hi, get a telescopic mirror and a very bright flashlight. It is best to do this at dusk rather than in broad daylight.

Remember that it might be possible to have a leak higher and it dripping or trickling on a lower hose. I have had all sorts of leaks but never from the egr area and trust me I have every leak possible, even from the core plugs.

Hi
Thank you PlasticMan and Evripidis for your indications and advice. Photos would of course have been useful, but you have already given me elements that I will indicate to my mechanic. I no longer feel enthusiastic enough to face the continuous problems of our aging A2s. I have done this for many years having the good fortune of having a friend's workshop, but that time is over. I regret it because I have always liked to personally take care of my cars, and in particular of A2fsi which always looks good and is pleasant when it works well

Hi
Thank you PlasticMan and Evripidis for your indications and advice. Photos would of course have been useful, but you have already given me elements that I will indicate to my mechanic. I no longer feel enthusiastic enough to face the continuous problems of our aging A2s. I have done this for many years having the good fortune of having a friend's workshop, but that time is over. I regret it because I have always liked to personally take care of my cars, and in particular of A2fsi which always looks good and is pleasant when it works well
Keep in touch with us, let us know how you get on 🤞
Mac.

There is a dye, which can be added to the coolant, to help identify the leak location. Would this help? Maybe ask your mechanic.
Anyone on here ever used such a product?
Mac

Pink coolant can be detected with a tissue and kind-of with a UV light. It turns into a sugary substance when weeping after a while anyway.

Never had issues detecting a leak on the FSI! Plentiful and wholesome!

Keep in touch with us, let us know how you get on 🤞
Mac.
Thank you for your attention, but now all the laboratories meet for the month of September. This means I would keep a small container of coolant just to be on the safe side. But I don't go on long trips anymore. Have a nice summer

November has arrived and for various other reasons I have not resolved the water leak issues I outlined here in July. I therefore confirm that the (in)visible leaks are located behind the engine block, where it is useful to have a dentist's mirror and the hands of a gynecologist to guess something. First loss: the two tubes bandaged together, function: heating of the passenger compartment. Problem: Visit to the Audi dealership, “it is no longer available”. I visit the site "audi.7zap.com" in the chapter - cooling circuit pipes - and I find it (number 25) Article code: not indicated!... I am advised to search on the site "Audi collections " and there I find a photo with two tubes bandaged together (article code number 8Z0121086D) which resemble what I am looking for (but with doubts). I send an Email to "Audi collection" to be more sure, asking; "compatible for A2 1600fsi 2003?". Courteous and quick response: "Sorry, but we are not able to answer this question, ...Contact your Audi dealer! ...Long and patient consultation on the computer at Audi. Response: "We have no indication with this code (8Z0121086D) but we found 2 different and separate pipes for temperature exchangers, code: 8Z0819373R and 8Z0819371R." "Good!... I buy! "Answer; "ah but sorry, they are not available. Return to “Audi collection” with these codes indicated”
Response to "Audi collection": "code not found"
Second problem for those who still have the patience to read.
The other loss is behind the EGR VALVE code: 036131503AD.
There is a small screwed plate behind the EGR VALVE body.
water loss is all around this plate. At "Audi collection" the complete EGR valve is sold, price (if I remember correctly) more than 250 euros. But is it possible to only repair in this case? (I will ask a mechanic about this)
Thank you for all answers

Good Evening,

Your leaking pipes to/from the cabin heater matrix.

You have walked into a nightmare, the nightmare has been raised several times, everybody is confused, I am not certain anybody has resolved the part numbers confusion.

To me what does seem clear, the bandaged together pair of pipes which you describe is the original early FSI configuration. The original part number is 8Z0819350D for both parts, here is the evidence.

1699129051062.png

1699129078470.png

Unfortunately this pair configuration was discontinued long ago, NLA. Only chance of a like for like replacement is a used part if you you can find one.

Audi appear to have replaced the original bound pair with separate pipes, here is the evidence

1699129591740.png

Which i assume is this example but no numbers visible.

IMG_5564.JPG

But these numbers are not matching those given to you? I'm confused. They are probably NLA anyway. The nightmare continues.

Best to be clear from the start, just to be certain can you post a picture of yours, with arrows. Is the part number visible?

Sorry I have rambled.

Andy

Good Evening,

Your leaking pipes to/from the cabin heater matrix.

You have walked into a nightmare, the nightmare has been raised several times, everybody is confused, I am not certain anybody has resolved the part numbers confusion.

To me what does seem clear, the bandaged together pair of pipes which you describe is the original early FSI configuration. The original part number is 8Z0819350D for both parts, here is the evidence.

View attachment 114999
View attachment 115000

Unfortunately this pair configuration was discontinued long ago, NLA. Only chance of a like for like replacement is a used part if you you can find one.

Audi appear to have replaced the original bound pair with separate pipes, here is the evidence

View attachment 115001

Which i assume is this example but no numbers visible.

View attachment 115002
Thank you Andy for being interested in my problem, I appreciate it, even if at the moment I don't yet know how I'm going to get out of it, because I realize by reading the experiences of A2 owners, and in particular the 1600 FSI that the decision to take can be that "dramatic" of the jockey whose horse has a broken leg. But I respond to your suggestions: No, there is no identification on the incriminated cooling sleeves. Taking a photo is useless because the object in question is half-hidden behind the brake oil reservoir, which is placed there on vehicles with the driver seated on the left. Looking for a second hand equivalent is very unlikely given the extreme rarity of this model, moreover, being made of rubber and having been used, one can strongly doubt its qualities. No, for the moment I am at an impasse, and my ideas are confused because my A2 is in good condition and works well.
Al 2

But these numbers are not matching those given to you? I'm confused. They are probably NLA anyway. The nightmare continues.

Best to be clear from the start, just to be certain can you post a picture of yours, with arrows. Is the part number visible?

Sorry I have rambled.

Andy

Thank you Andy for being interested in my problem, I appreciate it, even if at the moment I don't yet know how I'm going to get out of it, because I realize by reading the experiences of A2 owners, and in particular the 1600 FSI that the decision to take can be that "dramatic" of the jockey whose horse has a broken leg. But I respond to your suggestions: No, there is no identification on the incriminated cooling sleeves. Taking a photo is useless because the object in question is half-hidden behind the brake oil reservoir, which is placed there on vehicles with the driver seated on the left. Looking for a second hand equivalent is very unlikely given the extreme rarity of this model, moreover, being made of rubber and having been used, one can strongly doubt its qualities. No, for the moment I am at an impasse, and my ideas are confused because my A2 is in good condition and works well.
Al 2

Either remove offending pipe (or get a second hand one) and have a new one made…. some companies can/will do this if you look on line.

Good luck… try and keep it on the road👍

Back