17.5" x 7" wheels - offer from Audi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy1

I picked upa leaflet in my Audi dealer the other day about cusomising your A2. As well as skirts and spoilers (horrible things) it showed some 17.5" x 7" rims. Genuine Audi with polished edge. The suggested size tyres are 205/40x17. Does anyone have this size rim and tyre combination? If so, what is your experience?

2003 FSi SE in Ebony Black Pearlescent; Climate; DIS; Winter Pack; Sports Steering Wheel; Copilot Light and Upgraded bulbs

I have a 03 TDI Sport which has as standard 17" wheels c/w 205/40.

They do look like rubber bands, but stick to the road like glue. My A2 also has the lowered suspension, so the ride can be a bit choppy on these sometimes uneven roads. I am fairly used to this though having owned GTI's in the past.

I think the wheels and tyres do look great on the A2, as it completes the sporty look of the vehicle.

Its the old adage, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Poppy1

What else did this leaflet say? Any other goodies for the A2 owner?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Other than just the body kit - no. IMHO body kits were not designed by the designer who penned the work of art in the first place and invariably destroy the form of the car. They collect muck, scratch easily, ruin aerodynamics and tell everyone else you have no taste. OK a value loaded opinion, but that's what got JC where he is today. And know what - having met the guy professionally, he's a really nice chap.

2003 FSi SE in Ebony Black Pearlescent; Climate; DIS; Winter Pack; Sports Steering Wheel; Copilot Light and Upgraded bulbs

I put 17" A2 sport rims on my A2 at about 4000m. Think they're great but watch the risk of kerbing if you need to park anywhere close to kerbs as there is no rim protection from the standard tyres.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, Tinted Security Glass

What were the standard tyres please?
quote:Originally posted by mlarner

I put 17" A2 sport rims on my A2 at about 4000m. Think they're great but watch the risk of kerbing if you need to park anywhere close to kerbs as there is no rim protection from the standard tyres.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, Tinted Security Glass

On my TDI sport they are 205/40/17 I agree with the comment re kerbing, I have now wrecked 3 of
in 6 weeks of ownership, had my Honda for 20 months with new alloys, not a mark, the Dunlop tyres look as though they have a projecting protection strip but this seems to be narrower than the rim, I think the tyres should have been a 215 section or a smaller wheel width.

A2 TDI Sport Leather, climate control, Bose cruise control

Guys and Girls I would really like some SOUND, KNOWLEDGABLE info regarding tyres and ride on my A2 1.6 FSI Sport, just purchased with 30K miles on clock. Wheels are the 17" nine 'spoke' alloys that I think are standard factory fit on the Sport. It has two Dunlop SP9090 205/40/R17's on the front and Michelin Pilot Sport 205/40/ZR17's on the rear. Which ones were the original equipment? The Dunlop's on the front have worn about half while the rear are pretty good. The ride is a lot more fidgetty (I keep thinking of the princess with the pea under her mattress, and I know how she felt) than was the ride on my previous 1.4 SE which had 16" wheels and I cannot remember which tyres. And yes the 17's are a b*gger for kerbing. The agents sorted all the kerbing of the previous owner when I bought it at the beginning of April, but I've still managed to scrunch at least one front since. Incidently the couple who fixed the kerbing (and did an excellent job) operate in the Midlands and are called 'Chips Away' I don't know what they charge but took their number for future reference. 'E'mail me if you want it.
regards Richard

Richard, I've got a November 2002 TDi Sport and the original tyres were the Dunlops. They had 9mm of tread when new. I've noticed newer Sport's with Michelin's which appear to offer more protection to the wheel rims from kerbing than the Donlops. Personally, having gone from an SE to a Sport I do prefer the Sport set up but I do know what you mean about the ride. However, it's more than compensated for when you see the reaction of others who can't believe such a tall car could negotiate corners at such speeds.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

the newest A2s we saw in the factory last week have pirelli p zero nero's....

just as cheap.

i've just gone to 7.5 x 17's, cos i can't afford to kerb the S-Line 17's regularly. superb, even better - better handling, better roadholding, cos the track's slightly wider; and they look magic.
pics:
http://www.a2-freun.de/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=61

i still have the original dunlop 9090s after 12000mls. 6mm front and rear. michelins are apparently really good but f******* expensive; i found the ride better with the 17s than with my 15" winter semperits...

the ride is kinda fidgety - it's quite stiff....but that means the cornerspeeds are a joke. in a positive manner. amazing the roadholding.

Bret

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
2002, Petrol 1.4, 17", sports suspension, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back