17" S3 Avus wheels

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
HI,

Finally got the S3 AVus wheels back from the refurbisher and decided against black.

I love the 17" 9 Spoke sport A2 alloys but the Avus wheels are a bit stronger and we have LOTS of big potholes.

Put them on my wife's A2

Before
wheels 1.JPG

After
wheels 2.jpg

Steve B

Looking good, Steve. If we're playing a game of spot the difference, I notice that the Dogs Trust sticker has moved from one side of the car to the other. :)

Tom

Looking good, Steve. If we're playing a game of spot the difference, I notice that the Dogs Trust sticker has moved from one side of the car to the other. :)

Tom

OMG !!!! Well spotted,

I just flipped the picture horizontally so that the car was facing the same way in both pictures.

How about the missing fuel filler cap too!

Steve B

I just flipped the picture horizontally so that the car was facing the same way in both pictures.

Haha! I did suspect that's what you'd done. As you note, the missing fuel filler is the giveaway, though I hadn't spotted that. I was just pleased to see that your wife supports the Dogs Trust. :)

The steering wheel still appears to be on the right, though I can see from the dashboard that the car is now a LHD.

Last edited:
Yes, strong supporters and especially now that we have just lost our dog a few months ago and we are not allowed to replace him because of the retirement block we live in now!!

Joan got a nice Christmas card from a dog we sponsor (ok so not ACTUALLY from him, but it was nice)

And for those of you are not dog lovers we give more money to Teenage cancer trust and Unicef than we do to the dogs trust! ;)

Steve B

HI,

Finally got the S3 AVus wheels back from the refurbisher and decided against black.

I love the 17" 9 Spoke sport A2 alloys but the Avus wheels are a bit stronger and we have LOTS of big potholes.

Put them on my wife's A2

Steve B

Nice wheels, both sets.

I love the argumentation for new wheels. Logical argument, but not necessary the root cause.

I celebrate 1 year with A2 and have already bought 3 sets of wheels and tires. :eek:

You will find tgat the 17" Sport alloys are definitely softer.

I have now know at least 4 different sets that gave buckles.

Steve B

If strength is the priority I would recommend forged wheels not Cast Alloy. You get strength without the extra weight.

In Sweden we have asphalt on the roads, highly recommended! :eek:

Looking good Steve, but then I am biased :)

Planning to lower mine next year so the front wheels fill the arches even better.

If strength is the priority I would recommend forged wheels not Cast Alloy. You get strength without the extra weight.

In Sweden we have asphalt on the roads, highly recommended! :eek:

That problem in the UK is that all of our roads also have asphalt, but they seem to have missed a few places and used cheese instead! Gorgonzola I think!

Strength was not the main reason for choosing these, but it was a factor.

I suffer from CMS "Compulsive Modifying Syndrome" I just can't leave a car alone for long ;).
The buckled wheel on the wife's car was an excuse to change the style of the wheels and the S3 wheels fill the arches so well, the offset is perfect, and they are Audi Wheels and slightly stronger too.

Steve B

Last edited:
Steve - have these proved to be any more resilient to buckling?
Yes, and that is based on experience on another A2 as well as mine.
So 18 months in total over the same roads as the ones that buckled the Sport Alloys with no problem

steve B

The Avus is my favorite wheel on the A2, it´s looks so very very good on the car!

View attachment 22749

And the quality is great, last forever more or less...
Have a set of Parabol 17" from TT and a Avus 17" from S3 to use on my A2 but the Avus is my favorite all day long!

Nice looking A2 you've got there. I'm in the middle of refurbing mine at the moment and have painted the inner edge in black which makes them look a lot bigger.

Nice looking A2 you've got there. I'm in the middle of refurbing mine at the moment and have painted the inner edge in black which makes them look a lot bigger.

That one is my old A2 1,4, it´s sold... I did replace it with a VW Tiguan 2,0TFSi but could not live without a A2 so bought a A2 1,6FSi instead if the Tiguan...
But the new one is a silver car but no Open Sky...
Just bought a set of Avus and leaved them for a wheel restoration to make them look new again.

Anyone got a part number for the Avus centre caps or do you know where to get them from (apart from Flea-bay) - the only ones I could find came from China and I'm not so sure of their authenticity. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:
There are wheel centre caps available on ebay which are genuine.... some of which come from Latvia. Unfortunately they are now very close to the dealer prices.

I can understand how you may think they are expensive... I would continue to trawl through ebay for second hand ones which are in good condition. They do occasionally come up. Perhaps others can comment on the quality of the ones from China... I seem to remember there was a thread but can,t find it at the moment.

Cheers
Dave:)

Last edited:
I've a set of Avus and a set of Competition alloys. I use the comps now.

I got my Avus centre caps from TPS as I didn't see the point in paying near TPS price and risking the final condition having spent a lot having them refurbished. So I felt it was the only easy way to guarantee what I was getting.

Back