2001 TDI 75 SE Brilliant Black - 2nd A2

wilco184

Member of the year 2015
Hello all.

I'm very pleased to say that I have recently purchased a 2001 TDI 75 SE in brilliant black, from a current A2OC forum member. The car has covered a little over 105,000 miles and is in very nice condition. The car has leather/alcantara sports seats with electric lumbar adjustment, the OpenSky sunroof, climate control, all of the SE equipment such as the false floor and fog lights, DIS, winter pack, Timmus cruise, retrofit PDC and Concert II.

I currently have a brilliant black FSI sport, and the TDI will be replacing this as a daily driver. The FSI will be stored in a warm garage for a while, as I plan to keep it.

I have already given the car a good clean and polish with Autoglym, which has brightened up the paintwork nicely. The interior has also had a good clean, and I can highly recommend the Autoglym leather care; the seats now have visibly reduced cracking and feel nice and supple. I have added some pictures to this post, which shows the car after the clean.

Mechanically speaking, the car is pretty close to perfect. The rear left wheel bearing felt rough when the wheel was removed, and although it was not audible when driving, it wouldn't last forever. The wheel bearing was changed and torqued to the correct specifications, and the wheel now feels smooth to rotate like the other side. The rear left wheel brake cylinder was found to have a slight leak, not enough to notice with the drum on, but evident when accessing the wheel bearing. The leak had caused brake dust to stick to the drums internal components. The cylinder was changed and brakes bled, the dust and fluid were then cleaned from the parts, and the wheel assembly was reassembled.

In the near future, there are a few small niggles with the car that I would like to rectify. The first of which is the air conditioning has the infamous G263 sensor fault. I will replace this sensor without taking the dashboard out, when the weather gets a bit warmer by following this thread. (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...-temperature-sender-without-removing-the-dash). I have checked the sensor resistance from the climate plugs (B5 and B15), and I am measuring a resistance of 97 Ohms, which is well out of tolerance indicating a sensor fault. The second niggle is that a VCDS scan has revealed that the Central Convenience Module (Q unit) is reporting itself as being faulty, with the fault code 01330. The code will not clear and does not change. This is strange because there are no problems with any of the items controlled by the unit as far as I am aware, and the battery drain current is less than 10mA, which is normal. If anyone has any suggestions or advice with how to resolve this code, please let me know? I will most likely leave this until noticeable faults begin to occur with the module, or I am informed that it will certainly cause problems in the future. Both of these niggles are small, and in no way worry me.

With regards to modifications, I will be swapping over my USB interface to connect to the stereo from the FSI, and also hopefully will be putting my refurbished set of the 17" sport alloys on the car when the weather gets better, either in the Spring or Summer.

I am extremely pleased with the car. It has clearly been thoroughly cared for and maintained by the previous owners, and is a great credit to them.

Regards,

Matt.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
A quick update with the new car.

So far, I have fitted a pair of genuine Audi front carpets from Stoke Audi, as one was missing when I got the car. They arrived quickly, and Cheshire Oaks Audi said that they are no longer available to order through them, hence Stoke was the only option for genuine items. I have also painted the rear brake drums a matt black colour, with a very high temperature rating. I cleaned off the rust from them before painting, which should keep them looking nice.

I have also fixed the G263 sensor fault by replacing it, as a VCDS scan showed it as being faulty. I have written a small report about doing this, which can be read in post 8, here. (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...-temperature-sender-without-removing-the-dash)

Regards,
Matt.

Looks great Matt i look forward to seeing your new A2 and possibly the FSI ---- great spec you have. cheers mike

Oh my, you've got to grips with my old friend in no time at all. The old thing evidently could not have gone to a better new owner and home. Re: the CCCU, the rear interior light works occasionally, when it feels like it, I believe that is a symptom... Forgot to mention that, and I endeavoured to mention everything:)

Maybe worth speaking to our friend Tom about rectifying the CCCU. I lived with it, and had only the interior light malfunction in 30,000 miles.

Have to say I was oblivious to the O/S/R wheel bearing and brake cylinder issues. Good on you for finding and rectifying the faults.

More power to your elbow Matt.

All the best, John.

Thanks for your kind words, John. :)

I forgot to mention in the update that I have repaired the rear interior light, which turned out to be a dry solder joint on the circuit board of the light. Incidentally, the thread that Steve has linked was originally posted by myself, after I had repaired the light in the car.

The CCCU, so far as I can tell, is showing no symptoms, so I may just live with it for now. Although, I'm sure Tom will be able to advise if there is anything I can check to indicate if there is any sign of failure?

Regarding the wheel bearing and brake cylinder, there was no noise from it, so it wasn't really noticeable until the wheel and drum had been taken off and it was spun; feeling a little more 'stiff' than it should. This is also where the leak from the cylinder was noticed. There were no symptoms from the outside of either.

Regards and many thanks,
Matt.

HI Matt,

I think you deserve an award for that fix you posted, sorry for not spotting it was you!!

Steve B

A quick little retrofit update.

I will try and do a proper update to this thread soon, as I have completed a fair few tasks on the car recently. For now though, just a quick document about my latest retrofit.

I have fitted the rear flip out power socket, dual interior boot light modification and dual rear fog light modification. None are in the 'essential' category, more that they enhance the car and are just something that are nice to have. I'm happy. :)

All parts used are genuine, with the terminals for the connectors purchased as aftermarket accessories on the internet. Please see the attached the images.

Regards,

Matt.

Nice Car,
it looks more like a Sport with smaller wheels rather than an SE with Sports bits :-D

Thank you :)

In fact, I have also now swapped over to the 17 inch sport wheels, so bar the suspension differences, the car is now pretty much of sport spec. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Looks good! Out of interest where did you source the terminals please?

Ah good question Paul! :)

I found a thread over at TDI Club, where someone had found a supply of the same terminals but not from VW/Audi. You'll need ETKA to work out which pins you'll need, but this isn't too difficult.

The link to the TDI Club thread is here. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245319
The link to the website for the terminal supplier is here. http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/206/1/terminals-to-fit-mouldings

Regards,

Matt.

Back