2001 TDI SE Cruise Control Retro Fit

Hi I am a new member having just purchased an A2 (after 2 fantastically overweight VW Sharan TDI PDs).

I wish to have cruise control retro fitted to the A2 if possible and hope that the 'experts' out there can let me know if I am wasting my time?

I have looked on several threads and other forums. I know it can be done to some versions and I know what is needed, but am still not sure if it can be done to mine.

Some VAG forums say you must have the wireless accelerator pedal (test - you rev engine in neutral to 2000rpm and put foot on clutch it should go down to 1200rpm - Mine does not do this).

Also, I don't know if its relevant, but mine only has the standard driver information system, not the on board computer (mpg etc).

Congratulations on a great forum

Fresher Pete

Thanks for the reference Chris - nice to know I'm appreciated.

FSi A2s and early petrols are more tricky, but only in a physical sense, the electrical work and procedures are the same.

Pete, please drop me a PM when you are ready to have the cruise installed and I'll fill you in on all the details and the 2 year warranty the system comes with.

Cheers,

Mike

another recommendation

We have 1 of those damned FSi's and Mike did retro cruise on ours and it is superb, his work is excellent and you get to see "Tank" ( a must for all A2 lovers ):D
The list of regulars on here who have visited Mike for "Skipton Cruise" could keep this thread going for days ......:D

I too have had the pleasure of mikes handy work as regards to the cruise control i can confirm it is exellent and mike,s knowledge about the A2 is very impressive.
And as for tank it is a real credit to its owner as i defiey any A2 owner not to be impressed.
A ride in tank is a joy (would love a drive).

Cheers david

If you PM skipton01 he will let you know all the details but mine cost £150 and 2 years warranty for parts and labour come free.

Best money i,ve spent apart from the cambelt and water pump change;).

cheers david

I had thought, having read the same info as Pete, that my 04 tdi 90 couldn't have cruise control fitted.
Does this mean I can?
If so it may mean a trip to Mike land later in the year!

Cheers

glock17

Any A2, apart from the 1.2 TDi (the rare import version) can be fitted with cruise control, as per factory fit.

If you want to pop over at some point Glock, you're more than welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Retro fit cruise

Further to all the other satisfied customers' responses, I had cruise fitted a good few months ago by the legend that is Skipton01 (Mike) and I must say it's the best money I've ever spent (on any vehicle). The care and attention to detail was incredible and whilst fitting the cruise we had great 'A2' chat. There's nothing he doesn't know about our A2s.

Also, there's something very satisfying about relaxing (with cruise) on the motorway at 65mph knowing that you're getting more to the gallon than everything else around you. I was getting a 54/55mpg tank average over the winter by the way but after hitting the 'ECON' switch (the one that turns the diesel powered heater off in my base spec A2) a couple of fills ago, I'm now getting a 63/64mpg average on the same runs and with the same driving style. The cruise control has helped these figures to remain consistent ever since it was fitted.

Just out of interest, has anybody tried running their A2 on vegetable oil yet? Whether it be a mix of oil & diesel or just oil, I'd be interested to know how you got on with everything (including mpg). A few of my friends (running recent but not Audi turbo diesels) swear by the 50/50 mix method and have had no problems.

hi mike, semi thought about the cruise but dont really do enough long journeys to warrant it. thought more about the DIS though (i think thats what all the MPG stuff is called?) and wondered if you could retro fit that?
cheers

Hi James,

Retrofitting DIS is possible, but expensive, as you'll need a donor set of clocks, the new stalk and a few extra sensors (water level, bulb check etc). The total cost would be approaching the 4-figure mark, so probably isn't viable.

Cruise isn't just limited to long journey use though, most people use it more often on motorway roadworks and other roads where average speed checks are used. For this, cruise is invaluable, especially if you have any points on your licence (this was Alex's main reason for having it fitted!).

Cheers,

Mike

Don't try this with your camper!

Yeah I agree...
The reason I want CC for my A2 is that I have the same VAG system on VW Sharan 1.9TDI PD 115hp 6 speed (2000rpm@70mph) and it is fantastic.
My journeys to work in recent years have been 80-150 round trip on motorways.
I believe that as well as more relaxed driving, there are safety and economy benefits. No tendency for speed to creep up and prompts you to anticipate more. Very useful where average speed cameras are used over long distances.
The VW Sharan weighs 2 tons and gives me 40-45mpg changing up at 2000-2200rpm and setting cruise to 65-68mph. I'm expecting a lot more from my bantamweight A2 with one cylinder missin!
BUT - don't try this ... heard of woman in USA who got new camper with CC and went out the back to make a cup of tea whilst cruisin down the freeway. Guess she thought it was like autopilot. Needless to say it ended badly! Pete:D

Yep - I heard about that one. She then went on to sue the manufacturers of the camper for not explaining fully the functions of CC.

She won the case..... Only in America (but coming to a town near you soon).

Just want to say, thanks to Mike for fitting my cruise this weekend, his knowledge of the A2 is just astounding!

After a ride in the tank, it has extended my 'want list' by quite a few items, the car is awesome!

Looking forward to the next social!:cool:

Doc

People have come further, but if it's easier, I can do it at a future social, possibly at ADI in Wiltshire.

Cheers,

Mike

cruise fitting

Mike would be interested in cruise on my A2 have only bought it yesterday but had cruise on my ibiza fro 2 years and miss it. can you tell me are you units aftermarket of VAG ones? and what is the price with fitting. I live in bucks but have family in leeds so can pop in when visiting them
cheers mick:)

Back