2002 1.4 petrol woes

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
I do hate intermittent faults!
Occasionally (well twice actually) whilst driving along, the engine cuts out for a second before resuming normal service, during the event the Rev counter drops towards zero but then resumes.
Also occasionally the idle hunts over approx 200 RPM and then resumes normal operation.
Scan only shows long term bank 1 lean.
Any ideas?

Camshaft sensor as source of the first error. There will be an error readable but only until you turn the engine off.

The sensor is around €100 IIRC. There are two, you need the more expensive one. It's down by the gearbox on the right hand side looking at the engine.

- Bret

Thanks for the info. Just done another scan (engine off ) the only other engine fault is P0402-35-10 EGR system excessive flow intermittent.

Those two? When I bought my car second-hand, it had that first problem and the dealer made something that solved it under dealer warranty but I unfortunately forgot to ask what was done - for the next 9 years, I've always had the second error ("check engine light", usually "bank 1 lean" (P0171) or "EGR excessive flow" (P0402) - annual maintenance, clean throttle body, reset codes, and 6 months later "check engine light" again, same problems). I would LOOVE to know what this could be as well... Lambda probes were replaced, several sensors were replaced, yadda yadda...

Just taken a video of the engine hunting on the iPhone. Its too large to upload though. I will see if I can downgrade the image to allow upload.

Back