2002 Tdi brake servo replacement

ICowie

A2OC Donor
Scotland
Hi Folks,

I'm after a bit of advice before I start ripping things to bits, the brake servo's gone on my step daughters 2002 Tdi. My question is, I have a 2004 Fsi breaker I'm wondering if the servo will be the same on it and is it a dash out job or can it be done from the engine bay?

Thanks,
Iain

Last edited:
The parts book shows different servos for MK20 and MK60 ABS brake systems and gives corresponding chassis numbers for the change

Part nos starting with 8Z2 are for rhd cars (8Z1 denotes lhd)

If you're lucky your daughters 2002 tdi may be one of the first with the MK60 ABS system, and if so, your FSi's servo may fit

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the info Spike, do you know how to tell which Abs system's in the car? I've got the MyAudi app but I don't know if that would be in depth enough to tell me

Thanks for the info Spike, do you know how to tell which Abs system's in the car? I've got the MyAudi app but I don't know if that would be in depth enough to tell me
Hi Ian I've just removed the servo on my breaker with the dash and steering column removed still an awkward job four nuts need to be accessed from the inside and the input rod has a ball end that Is pushed into a plastic socket on the brake pedal not sure of the correct way to remove it I used a bit of brute force!

Hi Andy,

I kind of knew it was going to be a pig of a job. I just need to find out if the one in her car's the same as the one in my breaker. If it's not do you still have your servo lying about as your breaker's exactly the same car as hers?

Cheers,
Iain

MK 20 all brake pipes on top of abs

Mk 60 pipes on rear and on top

Thanks, the car's not here right now but I'll have a look tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's the same

Well it turns out it's the MK60 braking system in her car, which I believe will be the same as my fsi breaker. Bad news is I've now got to remove it :eek:

Just take care when rebuilding as the abs pump may need bleeding, for that you can use VCDS. Remove x2 :eek:

Last edited:
Yes I've just had to do this to my Tdi sport so I'm well aware of the pitfalls involved :rolleyes: but thanks all the same for the heads up.

And you are sure the servo has failed?. Have you thoroughly checked the vacuum line back to and including the tandem pump? Just hoping for an easier solution.

No I just had a quick look, when you press the brake pedal you get a sound like air's escaping but the harder you press it the quieter it gets so I just presumed it'd be the servo. Fingers crossed it is the pipe ;)

Quite often it is the cheaper parts of the system that fail first, i.e. rubber seals, gaskets, plastic or rubber fittings, hoses. The diesel is strange in that the vacuum is not generated by the intake manifold but on the A2 the tandem pump provides the vacuum its other job is to suck the fuel from the tank ( no mechanical or electric pump ) and supply it at pressure for the injectors so it is 2 pumps in one, hence the name tandem pump. A known weak spot on the tandem especially the LUK one is the boss where the vacuum pipe fits onto can become loose so worth checking and if loose cleaning really well and use a quality 2 part bonder to glue and seal joint. Leave for 24 hours before reassembly to let it fully cure.

Does the pipe work run inside the cabin at all? It's just the sound is coming from right beside the brake pedal

IIRC only the rod from the servo comes through the firewall everything else is in the engine bay. By design the firewall is pretty well sealed. Only a few electrical looms steering and pedals go through, if any of these are not sealed by rubber grommets or bellows then the noise will travel through them.

Back