Information 2004 Audi A2 1.4 Tdi - No 5th gear

Welsh Farmer

Hi everyone,
I was hoping that I would be able to get some help and advice from you guys on my current situation.
Recently, whilst driving my A2 I heard an awful noise coming from my gearbox and I lost my 5th gear. I had to limp with only my remining 4 gears.
I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and what they did about it.
My current train of thought is to replace the whole gearbox from another car and not start to try to repair the one that I have.
Does anyone know whether there are other cars out there with the same geabox as my A2? I have been told that many of the parts that are in the Audi are VW parts, so would there be a VW that has the same gearbox?
Due to these current difficult times Iam hoping to try to replace the gearbox myself, I am only a hobbie mechanic at best and would appreciate any help, You tube links etc on the best way to go about the job.
Thank you for taking the time to read and in anticipation of any help, thank you fellow A2 owners.

Which gearbox do you have at the moment? I can see that your car is a TDi 90.

Although you've got a prime opportunity here to convert to a 6-speed box, I'm assuming from your comments that you'd rather avoid the expense of such a sought-after second-hand purchase, and the modification and other considerations involved

Possibly someone on here who has replaced their own gearbox with a 6-speed would have the exact match for your failed one in their garage? A Polo with the 3-pot PD engine might also produce a match, or there are inexpensive alternatives such as the longer-ratio JDD box from the Bluemotion Polo which I believe is much easier to fit than a 6-speed.

There’s also a MZN 5 speed for slightly less long gears but still a great improvement - also with reduction in the gaps between the gear ratios compared with the JDD.

Back