3 Days owning a A2 and having trouble already :-(

Nat_s2

A2OC Donor
Over the last day or so I've noticed my indicators stuttering abit and then tonight I was out and about now they just stick on when I use the indicator but the hazard lights seem fine? I hear it could be the flasher unit? Is this right?

How much will this likely set me back? :(

Over the last day or so I've noticed my indicators stuttering abit and then tonight I was out and about now they just stick on when I use the indicator but the hazard lights seem fine? I hear it could be the flasher unit? Is this right?

How much will this likely set me back? :(

It could be the indicator arm itself if the hazzards are ok.

Try working the indicator arm backwards and forwards for a few minutes and see if that helps, if it does then you need a replacement arm (I think I have one somewhere that you could have FOC.

If I knew where in the UK you were I might have offered to have a look at it for you.

It still might be the indicator relay though.

Steve B

It could be the indicator arm itself if the hazzards are ok.

Try working the indicator arm backwards and forwards for a few minutes and see if that helps, if it does then you need a replacement arm (I think I have one somewhere that you could have FOC.

If I knew where in the UK you were I might have offered to have a look at it for you.

It still might be the indicator relay though.

Steve B

Cheers for the tips Steve & I am from the north west (Manchester)

I'll try them in the morning mate I could do with them working asap as I do 120 miles a day commute

If you cancel the indicator but you get an intermittent signal on the dash and audible 'clicks' then it sounds like the relay. Cost will be around £30. Part number is 8Z0941509B. Double check with dealer in case it's been superseded.

Cheers for the tips Steve & I am from the north west (Manchester)

I'll try them in the morning mate I could do with them working asap as I do 120 miles a day commute

The more I think about it, the more it is likely to be the flasher unit and not the arm, but checking the arm is a no cost option.

I am not sure that the arm could cause the indicators to stay on.

Steve B

Last edited:
Sounds like what happened to me a couple of weeks after I bought mine. Mine was the flasher relay, here is how to replace it:

http://imgur.com/a/oCmJu

If room is too tight for you, you can also pop out the climate panel a little by pushing it outwards from behind. Make sure all the plugs are back in afterwards though.

Last edited:
There appear to be two types of relay. The one pictured in stuebydoo's post is very different to the ones I've opened up. Mine all had sealed unit relays in them which I assume are a later design. If it transpires that you have one of these later relays, you would need to replace the relay itself by unsoldering it and resoldering a new one. In its place.

I you decide to replace it (the whole flasher unit), save the old one for me. I'll have a go at repairing it. If a little of my time saves others cash, then it'll be worth it.

Edit. The small black box here is the indicator relay, the bigger one is the hazard relay.

21357008740_6a52d9ed4c_z.jpg

Edit again. There are a couple of used ones on ebay for £20 if you search for the part number. New they are £40 from Stoke Audi parts.

Chris

Last edited:
Was the car from a dealer and all fully valeted? if so it could be condensation and now its dried itself out. Amazing how much water the carpets hold when"wet vac"is used. fingers crossed its all sorted itself out. Cheers mike

Was the car from a dealer and all fully valeted? if so it could be condensation and now its dried itself out. Amazing how much water the carpets hold when"wet vac"is used. fingers crossed its all sorted itself out. Cheers mike

No was a private seller don't think it's been valeted as there a couple of stains on to seats that need cleaning

I've got it booked in at a auto electricians on Monday too :S may have to cancel it as just been out in the car again and they are absolutely fine

Back