Chat 3 spoke Tiptronic Steering wheel with an 8Z part number??

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
The tiptronic 3 spoke steering wheels appear to have an 8Z part number (i.e. an A2 part)?

8Z0419091AD

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A6-C5-LEATHER-3-SPOKE-BLACK-STEERING-WHEEL-AIR-BAG-8Z0419091AD-/252306799660?hash=item3abea83c2c:g:UrYAAOSwuTxV8v46
No A2 had Tiptronic (or was this an option on the 1.2 tdi?)

I suppose that someone with a good knowledge of "electrickery" might be able to get this to work for a PTT (Push to talk) button if you have SDS, or some other gadget perhaps?

Any steering wheel controls experts think this is feasible?

Not for me, but it might be of use to others.

Steve B

I think this wheel can't be a 8Z part.
Or maybe the airbag alone, if it was ever changed with an A2 one.

Loads of steering wheels of the Sport design that we know and love have an 8Z or 8E part number. So, even though this wheel was possibly originally fitted to an automatic Audi A6 (of the C5 generation), it has an 8Z part number. That's not unusual.
I can see why it's deemed a little odd, though. After all, the A2 never had tiptronic controls. It is possible to add this steering wheel to a 1.2TDI to control the gear change, though it was never a factory option.

Cheers,

Tom

Loads of steering wheels of the Sport design that we know and love have an 8Z or 8E part number. So, even though this wheel was possibly originally fitted to an automatic Audi A6 (of the C5 generation), it has an 8Z part number. That's not unusual.
I can see why it's deemed a little odd, though. After all, the A2 never had tiptronic controls. It is possible to add this steering wheel to a 1.2TDI to control the gear change, though it was never a factory option.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that, yes it was the tiptronic buttons on an 8Z wheel that seemed odd.

As I said though, would it be possible for someone like you to code the buttons to operate SDS PTT for example?

I Guess there are a few people that have added the SDS function to their RNS E and had to position the PTT button in les than ideal places, whereas this would seem to be an ideal option?

Steve B

After all, the A2 never had tiptronic controls.

Yes it does, or at least the 1.2Tdi does. Lever to the right for auto mode (and N, R & S) and to the left for manual (+/-) mode. You'll have to drive mine some time Tom!

RAB

Yes it does, or at least the 1.2Tdi does. Lever to the right for auto mode (and N, R & S) and to the left for manual (+/-) mode. You'll have to drive mine some time Tom!

RAB

Sorry RAB, you're absolutely right. What I meant to say was that the 1.2TDI never had tiptronic controls on the steering wheel.

Since our last chat, I have briefly driven a 1.2TDI and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't pass on another opportunity should it ever present itself. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Aah right, I wouldn't want them on the steering wheel. With a lever, you always know which mode you are in!

RAB

I have never seen one of those before. Nice find.

The multifunction description - does that indicate that I could be call answer / hang up rather than tip tropic?

Back