Chat 32 in a 30 and flashed by camera

Rich.

A2OC Donor
I was just driving along normally and fully aware of the speed and the cameras in front on the sat nav I went past at 32 and the camera flashed 3 or 4 times, there was no one in front well except another audi which was to far in front to be flashed but there was about 3 of us just going past the camera.

Is that right just 2mph over the limit and you get flashed. It was dark and raining.

I can do some class and pay £60 with no points or have the points? :rolleyes:

I personaly can't see you being done for that! 3 or 4 flashes doesn't sound right either... I'm no expert but I'd be suprised if you recieve something through the post after that!

I agree with PhilK and I have been flashed before whilst doing 38 in a 40 zone - the camera was faulty! I heard nothing about it either.

ULP is right though, 30 means 30 and if it does come down to it, hopefully your prosecuting force will operate a speed awareness course, which although means 4 hours in a classroom, will help you avoid points.

Cheers,

Mike

I could be wrong, but 1 flash is a warning, 2 flashes is a ticket and was under the impression that 4 is a calibration.:confused:

Alan

My sat nav reads a higher speed than the speedo of any car/van i put it in. I have asked a few people and general opinion is make sure the one with the highest speed dipslayed is below the speed limit. If you have a decent satnav its actually going to be more acurate then the cars speedo this is because manufactuers purposely set the cars speedo's to read faulse ie they set the speedo to show 10mph when ur doing 8mph.

I wouldn't trust the GPS speed reading too much. It is only accurate when you're on a straight line and at a constant speed that consumer gps on the civilian channels will be able to give you an accurate reading. Factors like, sample rate, number of satellites being lock, accuracy of the map data all affects the reading.

IIRC, it is illegal to make under reading speedo, so manufacturers will by default make over reading speedos. Just imagine the law suits that can follow if someone with a ticket and found the speedo is under reading... So always use the speedo.

From what you typed, I read it that you drove past it at 32 shown on the speedo but aware of the camera because you have the gps warning. I wouldn't worry about it until a letter comes through. I've been flashed a few times within the limits. There are usually two flashes for two pictures, so not only do they have radar record, they have photographic evidence how far you've travelled between the two pictures with timestamps. Which you can use that to verify you were in fact over/under the speed limit regardless of speedo/gps.

Thanks everyone posted on that pepi website so if I need help they should have all the help I need. I would guess on the speedo it was 34 or 35mph but it was a completely straight road so it was more than likely only 32. I did look at the speedo and it did not go any higher than 34-35mph - which we know is around 32mph.

How lucky just come home and driving past the WBA ground (bad luck) and managed that though, I guess I was tired after travelling from west brom to pompey, to plymouth to devon and back home to west brom in a day. All in all never spotted one A2 along the journey. A2's been for a good journey over 1000 miles last week ;)

Don't forget you need to recieve a NIP within 14 days for it to be legal!

I did hear (though it may just be an urban legend) of a driver who was flashed at 28 in a 30 and went back because he didnt believe it.... he ended up with two NIP's for not wearing a seatbelt! But thats hull for you!

P

My understanding of sat nav speed readings is that they are based on several assumptions. I have never had chance to try this out, but I am lead to believe that the computer can't calculate the gradient of the road accurately enough. So imagine coming down a very steep hill, you would have travelled a relatively short horizontal distance (which the computer reads?), but due to the vertical distance (and some simple trigonometry:eek:) you have travelled much further and hence your speed is higher than displayed.

I would guess that the sat nav speed is only as good as the map,and more importantly the relief built into the map, or how accurately it can read altitude.

Rule of thumb, always go with what the speedo says. I wish I had:D (only 3 points left!)

Cheers,

David

Until and IF you get a 'ticket' there is nothing you can do about it. However the recommended cut off point for issuing a FPN/NIP in a 30mph area is actually 35mph. This was on some data given to me by my solicitor when recently in court for speeding ( whilst overtaking).....except I was doing, allegedly, 62mph :eek:

I challenge ANYONE who has ever driven to claim they have NEVER exceeded the speed limit whether by accident or design. I very recently drove past a patrol car with the hand held pointing at me and even tho' I was doing @ 78mph in a 70 area did not recieve a NIP. Like you I was tired having driven about 400 miles that day and simply hadn't realised my speed had gradually crept up. Speed limits are there for a reason and in some instances safety is clearly an issue but they have simply become a revenue raising device. Of course now most people are driving slower to save fuel the next thing will be the Gov complaining income from fines from Gatso's has fallen and adjusting the cut-off speed to compensate, all in the interests of safety, of course.....:D Me, cynical, never?!

hmm, I'd disagree mildly. The altitude readings are (at least on my GPSs, and I have two, never mind the built-in PoS in the N95) sort-of accurate. Having said that, the GPRMC message provides information in knots, which has to be converted. BUT: a 30 camera in a 30 zone is IMO a) not playing fair b) not reasonable and there's no way on this planet that will be accurate.

your GPS can only ever be as accurate as the signals it gets and the programming in it. To assume it's more than +- 2% accurate is wishful thinking. It might be, but then there's calibration, heat, tree cover, number of satellites.... so it may well vary from day to day, never mind hour to hour. That's also why the Audi nav systems incorporate a reading of how large the wheels are, as they also take that into account.

OTOH, I know my N95 / LD-3W system got confused last night, believing I was the other side of a crossroads whilst sat at a traffic light, so... I'll continue to plan my trips around the cameras, using as many backroads as possible. They're more fun anyway.

Lack of limit is one of the reasons I find German Autobahns much easier to drive, but even then I find myself doing 140-150-160, depending on the car. They are also designed to keep you awake.
Sweden is soooo boring, with the 110, but that's why I have cruise. Same here, but the backroads are far more rewarding. On the main roads, it's always a challenge to stay awake, on the back routes, it's about pushing and trying to remember not to take the pi$$ with the speed. Easy when you have to brake every 30s :)

Bret

Last edited:
...I very recently drove past a patrol car with the hand held pointing at me and even tho' I was doing @ 78mph in a 70 area did not recieve a NIP. ...

Speedo says 78, probably ~75 , you're still very unlikely to get a NIP. I may be wrong, but they cannot take a reading with those radar/laser detector while they're moving in a patrol car anyway. Relative speed, steady hands ...etc. They could however, use video evidence as it shows the patrol car's speed and how many road markings you have passed in a set time to calculate your speed. But, as featured in TV about 1/2yr ago, they usually let cars <80mph off because they only want to catch the real dangerous drivers doing 85 or more. [disclaimer: not encouraging you to test that theory in anyway ... and all that.]

The patrol car was stationary and it was 6 weeks ago. But having been caught at 78 on a m/way one Sunday morning many years ago in bright sunshine and b8gger all traffic about on my way to see my dad in hospital just before he died.....in hindsight I should have gone to court over that one.

they have the tech to do to the "opposite side of the road speed measurement" here in pretty much every marked car. Or at least that's the information I have and I'm not going to test it :)

Average speed is under test now and will probably be implemented on some of the more heavily-trucked roads (no, not motorways, as we only have 500miles of those, anyway) probably with a marked car or five at the end on a regular basis, to get the foreign plated drivers. They also happen to be the ones who drive drunk, too...

Bret

Back