3D Printed A2 scale model

TYP 8Z

As an Architect/designer I have been admiring the A2 design since the first day I saw it in 2002. The chiselled bodywork, the "aviation-grade" aerodynamics and the Bauhaus inspired visual language make the Audi A2 an amazing timeless, exquisite design masterpiece.

I always wanted a large scale model of the Audi A2 to display proudly in my studio or at home and I never found a decent one (they all seem tiny and not really exciting). SO, after many days, erm nights, of 3D digital modelling I am quite close to have a full Audi A2 bodywork drawn up in 3D. It will be a simplified version, like to those study models car companies use to explore different design options.

The beauty of this is that once the digital model is completed I can 3D-print it at any scale! So I am thinking something like 25cm long, painted gloss :)

Still a lot of work ahead but I thought to share some screen grabs on the WIP
A2 01.jpgA2 02.jpgA2 03.jpguntitled.457.jpg

Last edited:
Nice little project you have there , reminds me of the scaled down models the dealerships had on there showroom desks.. I bought several of these last year and a nice novelty item ...

IMG_1733.jpg

Id part with the Green one if it would be any help to you with your scale model designing

Regards Gary

Thanks Gary, that's very kind of you but I am almost done. Need to sort out the wheel arches (too big right now) and add few details like spoiler etc.

Always wanted a decent scale model! A 3d printed one would need a lot of finishing to do justice to the purity of the lines, so maybe CNC machining is an option.

Geoff

I'd love one too ... there are a couple of the dealer ones on Fleabay for £50 :eek: which seems ludicrously high.

I have 3 Audi A2 models, all different scales. The largest is a "Kinsmart" make and it's 1:30 scale. It's in white and guess what? I have a project, even for that model! I have it in mind to fit an OSS roof to it! It will be sliding (of course), but not electric-powered! LOL!

David

Back