40,000 mile service advice

dogtired

Hi, i need some advice...with a 2004 1.6fsi A2.
The dealer is asking for £500 and with Christmas etc Im thinking of tackling a DIY service but im not sure what needs to be serviced? I guess the oil, plugs, brake fluid..? Anyone help with advice on what and how tips? has anyone had experience resetting the display? OR should i pay the £500? :rolleyes:

thats steap!
check your manual for what needs to be included on 40k service.
My guess is most filters and plugs (£350) plus brake fluid (£100).

Those are stoopid dealer rates and in no way represent the true cost.

If you post your service history, I will check the service manuals and advise what is required (unless SKIPTON beats me to it, with faster and more accurate advice ;-) ).

incidently, I just did the 20k /3year service on my A2.
This involved:
oil and filter
air filter
pollen filter

Really it should also include:
brake fluid

I will do the brake fluid in the late spring (april?) when I also plan to swap the plugs (30k miles), along with another (intermediate) oil change.

dogtired said:
Hi, i need some advice...with a 2004 1.6fsi A2.
The dealer is asking for £500 and with Christmas etc Im thinking of tackling a DIY service but im not sure what needs to be serviced? I guess the oil, plugs, brake fluid..? Anyone help with advice on what and how tips? has anyone had experience resetting the display? OR should i pay the £500? :rolleyes:

on a 40'000 mile service
oil/ oil filter/plugs replaced/air filter/
check brakes re place if necceseray
check stering track rod ends /bearings /for play
also change break fluid/
check antifreeze condition for winter
thats about all i think

have you tried a vw garage or independant garage for price

reset service is on page 18 of A2 owners manual

regards

ROBIN

Last edited:
There are no spark plug on the 1,6 FSi, only coil packs. I'm sure that these do not need replacing regularly - they cost £72 each so I hope not.

Mark Brigg said:
There are no spark plug on the 1,6 FSi, only coil packs. I'm sure that these do not need replacing regularly - they cost £72 each so I hope not.

under the coil packs are spark plugs
coil packs are used insted of distributor and leads and coil

regards

robin

Back