Information 5 Adults in an A2 - No Problem!!!!

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I just went into Windsor in the wife's A2 (tdi 90 with 5 seats) and we took her sister, brother and a family friend.

That is 5 fully grown adults (no skinny ones). (in total the ages added up to well over 300 years!!!!)

I asked the three in the back if they were comfortable and had a resounding "YES plenty of room".

The car drove perfectly normally, the great little engine pulling like a train and showed no sign of lack of power at all.

The suspension was fine too (a little stiffer over speed bumps naturally) but perfectly smooth and more than ok.

So if anyone is wondering how well the 5 seater A2 copes with 5 full sized adults, the answer is "it copes perfectly well and longer distances would be fine too!!!"

Steve B

Hi,

I just went into Windsor in the wife's A2 (tdi 90 with 5 seats) and we took her sister, brother and a family friend.

That is 5 fully grown adults (no skinny ones). (in total the ages added up to well over 300 years!!!!)

I asked the three in the back if they were comfortable and had a resounding "YES plenty of room".

The car drove perfectly normally, the great little engine pulling like a train and showed no sign of lack of power at all.

The suspension was fine too (a little stiffer over speed bumps naturally) but perfectly smooth and more than ok.

So if anyone is wondering how well the 5 seater A2 copes with 5 full sized adults, the answer is "it copes perfectly well and longer distances would be fine too!!!"

Steve B

Fantastic Steve. As a complete contrast to your findings ( and with a combined age of <6 years in the back ;)) - one of the few things that really bug me about the bench seat variant in the A2 is that there are only 3 isofix points. So you cannot have 2 isofix car seats in the back - only one situated in the centre or behind the passenger.

I've tried to work out the logic of this, as the A2 is definitely roomy inside when measured against its external dimensions. Was it to always have the potential for another 2 adults plus the child seat ( no chance). The child seat we have won't go in the middle due to the bracing leg on the isofix base ( plus you wouldn't get 2 people comfortably on either side.

It's fine for short journeys with an unsecured booster seat for my 5 year old but on long journeys I really feel more secure with isofix..

So the bench is a great option for 5 adults, but not so great for young families ( the kids - not me!) Ah well. You can't have everything with an A2. Just almost :cool:

Last edited:
I've had 5 up in my A2 a few times - two children in their child seats, with the third (teenager) sitting in the middle. Not sure the teen found it that comfortable, but as their car - an A2 with 4 seats - didn't have enough room, we had to make do!

Fantastic Steve. As a complete contrast to your findings ( and with a combined age of <6 years in the back ;)) - one of the few things that really bug me about the bench seat variant in the A2 is that there are only 3 isofix points. So you cannot have 2 isofix car seats in the back - only one situated in the centre or behind the passenger.

I've tried to work out the logic of this, as the A2 is definitely roomy inside when measured against its external dimensions. Was it to always have the potential for another 2 adults plus the child seat ( no chance). The child seat we have won't go in the middle due to the bracing leg on the isofix base ( plus you wouldn't get 2 people comfortably on either side.

It's fine for short journeys with an unsecured booster seat for my 5 year old but on long journeys I really feel more secure with isofix..

So the bench is a great option for 5 adults, but not so great for young families ( the kids - not me!) Ah well. You can't have everything with an A2. Just almost :cool:

Yes, that is a shame isn't it.

It is one of those things that seem to have some logic to it, because it seems to be deliberate, but it is impossible to see what the logic was?

I think that between our two experiences this should help anyone who is wondering if the 5 seta option is going to work for them.

Steve B

Hi Murdo. Have a look at fitting a multimac car seat, www.multimac.co.uk. We've had one in the back of a 3series for 4 years. Pricey, but Saved our sanity and a tonne of company car tax in avoiding high co2 mpvs. Infact am about to eBay my 3seater multimac as all three of our kids can now happily sit on the back of our newly acquired a2s bench seat:) PM me if interested.

Back