Information 54 plate a2 fsi

harj81

i just picked up my dads new audi a2 on sunday
he was about to go to work tomorrow yesterday (1st time he drove it) and the engine management light is on.

he called the aa as he was due to be late for work and they have diagnosed as faulty coil packs
the previous (and onlY) owner has kept every single invoice for any work on the car, the coil pack has been replaced before at least all the cylinders have had new ones

goin from google 1.6 fsi is known for coil problems but do i ned to worry? or shall i just get them replaced under the used car warranty and get on with it?

lovin the car otherwise flys on v power

Audi extended the warranty for coil packs to 5 years from new. Your A2 is a 54 plate and over the 5 years then you'll have to pay for new ones yourself. If the warranty is getting near you need to be a bit nifty!

I've not had a coil pack issue since Feb 06, so the replacements have been good and reliable.

I'm not 100% about the following, so don't quote me:

I believe that the warranty is for 5 years from date of manufacture of the coil pack, not the car.

As they are all date stamped and it's dead easy to see (they are marked something like 25/05, which means week 25 of 2005), then you can easily check what's what.

Cheers,

Mike

fecking coils...had them go on my S4 saloon and S4 cabriolet. . . they went on the S4 cab just 80miles from having bought it from Audi !

why on earth can Audi not make reliable coils !! :mad:

It's the same old story - the contract goes to the lowest tender! Eventually, somone from accounts notices that it'd have been cheaper to go with a higher tender rather than pay out for warranty claims and so the manufacturer is changed!

There is a famous quote about the US space race, which gained a new sense of poignancy after the Challenger disaster: The rocket is the most complex vehicle ever made by man: 20 thousand parts, all made by the lowest bidder!

This was from John Glenn, talking about the Mercury rocket, which was basically a re-jigged ballistic missile, so intended to be disposable!

Audis are not meant to be disposable though, are they?

Cheers

Mike

well as an owner of an fsi a2 (I'm going to regret saying this)i haven't experienced coil pack issues. my car was showing 21,000 miles when i bought it 18 months ago,it now has 48,000 odd on it.all coil packs have the same dates on them(cant recall ?)so it either has original 2003 or they were changed before i got the car. the newer type definitely are more reliable as reported on other vag group forums. so see if you can get the newer Audi ones under your warranty and put it to the back of your mind.
mike your comments on challenger disaster are very true and if the report i read was correct it was all down to an "o" ring made by a very large sealant company,that advised NASA it was only to be used in a certain temp range-------------NASA ignored this and launched on a very cold day so the seal failed allowing gas to leak.......the rest is history. as a side note the cockpit survived the explosion and landed at sea. which led to questions on weather the crew would have survived if it had been found faster(2 weeks!!)
cheers sumo

You are exactly right on the cause of the Challenger explosion - an O ring that cost less than $100!

As to the crew capsule though, yes, it did survive intact, but the medical monitors which were still transmitting showed that the 7 astronauts were unconsious and were presumably killed in the 200mph impact with the sea. The deceleration would have finished them all off instantly, so it was pretty quick and they wouldn't have known about it.

It's a very tragic event to recall even now over 20 years later and unfotunately, lessons haven't really been learned.

Anyway, back on topic eh?

Cheers,

Mike

thats wicked guys - ill get on to it straight away...only 3 are faulty but if the new ones are more reliable ill pay the extra £28 for the extra 1 (dealer price )

Best thing is to ask the dealer first if they are aware of the extended warranty and if your car is covered. I was under the impression that they were covered from the first registration date of the car. If you have any problems then try the Audi customer care line. They were helpful with me but not everybody has had the same experience.

Back