55 Reg cars?

A7YJJ

Hi all, just joined the club :)

I drive a 55 reg TDI 75 Special Edition, which we bought direct from Audi in 2012. Its done 85K now, and Audi do all the servicing/maintenance (they replaced the shocks/springs & cambelt a few months ago).

I always assumed Audi sold many 55 reg cars, but I have NEVER seen another one in my area (Liverpool). Surely, there must be many 55 reg owners on this forum? Does anyone know the sales figures for 05 and 55 reg cars?

Anyway, I've uploaded a photo of the car (sorry for the quality - poor weather). Its booked in for a major service at Audi Bolton next month!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 280
The car ceased production in early 2005 so it'll be fairly rare to have a 55 plate car. You have an exclusive car! Member alan_uk is our man for stats and there's a post from him regarding the number of cars registered in 2005 but it doesn't specify 05 or 55.

Any 55 plate has been sitting in a compound between Germany and the vending dealer for a fair few weeks before its been purchased or dealer registered.

In summary, I don't think there'll be many members who own a 55 plate. Welcome to A2OC.

I had a Akoya 55 tdi90 Sport back in 2007.

I have seen a 06 red A2. I had to look twice as i thought 55 was the last reg. it must have been one of the last A2's ever made.

I have seen a 06 red A2. I had to look twice as i thought 55 was the last reg. it must have been one of the last A2's ever made.

Or just registered?

A lot of A2's sat at dealerships for quite a long period towards the end of production as they were quite expensive new for a 'small' car and i believe were quite heavily discounted in the end, so just because a 55 or even 06 plated car appears newer it actually isn't but was just registered new at a later date.

It's funny how we still do that here isn't it where as in the US and most other parts a May 2006 car was manufactured in May 2006, not possibly in March 2005 like here. You buy a 'new' car and it could quite possibly have been sitting in a field somewhere and be a year old.

Good job we don't register fish the same way, lol.

Last edited:
OK thanks for the info. Very interesting stuff. However, I presume a 'Special Edition' car could be a 55 or 05 reg (or even earlier)?

OK thanks for the info. Very interesting stuff. However, I presume a 'Special Edition' car could be a 55 or 05 reg (or even earlier)?

It certainly can and the "Special Edition" spec has always disappointed me.

To go from an SE with a reasonable spec to the later model "Special Edition" which has a lot lower spec, always baffles me and disappoints me a little.

Some models get lots of extras as they are phased out, but not the A2?

Still great to see a late A2 looking fresh!!!

Steve B

From information on the club pages I believe the order books for any A2 which wasn't Special Edition specification closed in October 2004. So anything ordered after this date was only special edition. I'm not sure how this worked in practical terms as you see the odd one with opensky or other desirable options.

Any cars on 05,55 or 06 (never seen an 06 in the flesh or on sale) which aren't special edition spec will by logic be manufactured before October 2004 but not registered til later. To answer your specific question - you'll see special edition's from late 54 registrations through to whenever the last cars were put on the road.

Cars sitting unused in a compound seems to hold negative connotations for some but I can't see a problem unless it was for an extended period or the environment was contaminated. It'll still be an unused new car otherwise.

You buy a 'new' car and it could quite possibly have been sitting in a field somewhere and be a year old.

Bit of thread swerve here so apologies - however this reminds me of something a good friend in the car trade told me years ago. He works for a company that bulk buys from the manufacturers and in the early 90's they had some Peugoet 605's (pre-registered but effectively new). A couple of them didn't sell regardless of the mega discounting and sat in a Clydeside compound for so long that vegetation and probably a variety of 'livestock' made its way around and into the car to the extent that they were written off and crushed! Less than 100 miles on them.

Last edited:
I am certain I saw an 06 A2 a few months ago, can't now remember the colour or where but was very surprised. However one of the reasons the A2 was dropped was due to poor demand after the initial enthusiasm. I recall when buying an A3 in 2004 seeing one in the showroom and being shocked at the list price (more than the equivalent A3 if I recall correctly) but even more surprised at the verbal discount being offered......

As a slight thread swerve it will be interesting to see if the i3 enthusiasm lasts beyond the first year or so......

Also notice that there was 1 licenced in the UK in 1999 - that would have been on a V plate?! I've seen one on a W plate...

Could of been a Audi UK press car?

Ive seen a W for sale.

It must've been. The geek in me would love to know if it still exists, and if the first ever A2 registered in the UK was something a bit special ( press cars generally have some options, and there will be some gems out there like Mark Brigg's former car which featured at the NEC motorshow in 2002 - a 'lifestyle' colour FSI and literally 'dripping' with kit)

I've seen a good few 'W' plates for sale over the years and one with registration W723.... ( I think) has been on sale recently and was also used for an Autocar write up that is posted on the forum. I knew the plate was familiar when I saw that advert.

There were also some early pre UK release left handers imported on UK plates although I assume they were returned to Germany. I drove (thrashed....) one (petrol) extensively around Milbrook proving ground one weekend along with various other Audi's including the then just launched Alroad on the off-road course.

Hi all, just joined the club :)

I drive a 55 reg TDI 75 Special Edition, which we bought direct from Audi in 2012. Its done 85K now, and Audi do all the servicing/maintenance (they replaced the shocks/springs & cambelt a few months ago).

I always assumed Audi sold many 55 reg cars, but I have NEVER seen another one in my area (Liverpool). Surely, there must be many 55 reg owners on this forum? Does anyone know the sales figures for 05 and 55 reg cars?

Anyway, I've uploaded a photo of the car (sorry for the quality - poor weather). Its booked in for a major service at Audi Bolton next month!

Mines an 05 plate! One of the later ones.

This may come in handy............

Attachments

• A2 Price List (January 2005)[1].pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 299
I completely agree Steve, the Special Edition spec is a little disappointing. Not quite sure what Audi was thinking :-(

I am certain I saw an 06 A2 a few months ago, can't now remember the colour or where but was very surprised. However one of the reasons the A2 was dropped was due to poor demand after the initial enthusiasm. I recall when buying an A3 in 2004 seeing one in the showroom and being shocked at the list price (more than the equivalent A3 if I recall correctly) but even more surprised at the verbal discount being offered......

As a slight thread swerve it will be interesting to see if the i3 enthusiasm lasts beyond the first year or so......

When we bought our A2 in 2012 from Audi, the dealer said that A2 sales actually began to pick up around 2005, just before it was phased out. The Special Edition model actually cost slightly less than an SE/Sport variant, so a slight increase in sales would be expected.

It certainly can and the "Special Edition" spec has always disappointed me.

To go from an SE with a reasonable spec to the later model "Special Edition" which has a lot lower spec, always baffles me and disappoints me a little.

Some models get lots of extras as they are phased out, but not the A2?

Still great to see a late A2 looking fresh!!!

Steve B

I completely agree Steve, the Special Edition spec is a little disappointing. Not quite sure what Audi was thinking :-(

I hear the tdi90 is a great car! Not had the opportunity to drive one yet, but our 75 seems rather quick as it is! With climate control switched on driving around town is relaxed/effortless. And I love the sound of the engine - strange given that it's a diesel!

Back